Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   MO Server Move and Misc. Stuff (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/2338-mo-server-move-misc-stuff.html)

SuperSquid 03-01-2004 06:44 AM

This is a outrage!!! I want my 11 bucks back....cancel my subscription!

Just Kidding. Happy Migrating!

nokneedragin 03-01-2004 11:15 AM

Re: MO Server Move and Misc. Stuff

Ah! I can't wait until I see the product review for the 100th anniversary HD server that MO is installing. Man that badge must look so cool ;-)

I heard its all black with chrome buttons, and when the hard drive goes it sounds just like a Pan head.

By the way, hows the 100th Aniversary Triumph mouse pad working?

fizzchem 03-02-2004 11:11 AM

Re: Um

Is that why I can't load the homepage at all? For the last two days?

SeanAlexander 03-02-2004 03:36 PM

Re: Um

No, that would be the change in IP addresses for our servers. Most people didn't notice the change, because their Internet providers had real-time DNS server updating. If your provider doesn's have access to a fast DNS server, it will probably take them a day or three to notice the change in our IP addresses.

fizzchem 03-03-2004 01:31 AM

Re: Provider

Me provider is me University. I hope it changes soon...

naco_traficante 03-03-2004 04:25 PM

WHOOO - HOOO !!!

Finally got in. Yup, that was one tranparent migration. So now we all get a rebate of about 9 cents ?

nweaver 03-04-2004 08:13 AM

Youz screwed up...

Your TTL is set way way way too long on the entry for www.motorcycle.com

;; QUESTION SECTION:

;www.motorcycle.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:

www.motorcycle.com. 76847 IN CNAME motorcycle.com.

motorcycle.com. 76847 IN A 208.179.57.123

The cname should have a long ttl, but the lookup for motorcycle.com (the result of the cname) should have a much shorter TTL, rather than the day+ ttl. It has NOT propigated the change to ICSI (and to my cable-modem at home) as a result of the very long TTL setting for motorcycle.com

brickl 03-04-2004 01:02 PM

Re: Youz screwed up...

Yes, every time you make and changes in DNS at all, first lower the TTL on your zone for about a week prior to the move. That way it tells all of the downstream dns servers to look for updates more frequently, and your members will experience less disruption.

The bill is in the mail... ;)

staff 03-04-2004 02:27 PM

Re: Youz screwed up...

Wow, we changed the Internic record (and the TTL to 30m20s) a month ago, and you're still polling the old IP address!? ns1 (not DNS1 anymore) is 64.70.35.152, actually it's been 23days now.

Something's screwy at your university. Maybe a heavily caching DNS system? Can you ask your tech what's up and let us know if there's any way to bust the cache on caching DNS?

RonXX 03-04-2004 05:01 PM

Re: MO Server Move and Misc. Stuff

'you shouldn't notice any problems'....like not being able to open the site for a week? Well at least it works now.