Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-29-2004, 10:42 AM   #1
Nplateau
Founding Member

Default Re: How can I get faster?

FIRST POST!!!

Okay, so what about us poor schmucks who can't afford to go to such schools or attend track days. Is there any way for use broke MOFOs to get faster? Of course, I ride a Ninja 250, so going really fast isn't happening, but I know I should be able to go faster and safer than I do.

That being said, I think you hit on it when you talked about cornering. I was thinking about picking up a book or two (maybe one of those Keith Code books that I keep hearing about). True, reading about how to take a corner and actually taking one are very different animals, but I'm sure it can't hurt.

Sometimes I have problems with countersteering. Especially at downhill left hand turns from a stop light. But I'm concious of it and am working on it. I've kind of developed a bad habit of steering in at times instead of countersteering. I think a lot of it has to do with confidence. The Ninja 250 has crap for suspension and I'm a heavy MOFO (230 lbs), so maybe that has something to do with it.

I really love riding my bike, but I'm still not confident enough to take it into the mountains or canyons. I've been dreaming of the day I can take a fast ride through Sunset to PCH and over through Malibu Canyon, but as things stand, I can't put a knee down, and even scraping my pegs is a rarity. I know on those roads that I mentioned, even the cagers sometimes go pretty fast, so I'd hate to be keeping up traffic especially when I'm on a Motorcycle.

I live behind Mt. Sac JC, where they teach an MSF course (where I learned), and they have a nice big parking lot. Unfortunately, everytime I've gone there on weekends to use the area where they teach the MSF during the week, I'm always chased out by the security patrol. I even offered to sign a release absolving Mt. Sac of any and all responsibility should I have an accident in their lot, but they still refused. God damn this liability bull crud.

Anyhoo, I sympathize with your desire to go faster, and am impressed that someone who has been riding as long as you have is willing to ask for more help. I'm still a newbie, but I'd like to say that you provide a good example of how to keep one's head.

Good luck and keep the rubber side down!
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-29-2004, 12:58 PM   #3
Nplateau
Founding Member

Default Re: Take Sean's advice

went to school in Berkeley, got a lot of friends in SF... there are, despite misconceptions, many many completely straight people in SF.
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 01:18 PM   #4
ZRX_bullock
Founding Member

1st study Keith Codes Cornering II book, buy a race suit, gloves, boots, helmet and back protector along with a set of track/street tires. Everything, except the helmet, can be bought off e-bay for about a third of the price of new. Now attend any Track school; best you can afford. After completing a track school do a few track days and go to a few club level races, which will show that even at the club level there is a big difference in speed. All this does not have to cost as much as you would think and plus it will be the best money you ever spent.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:05 PM   #5
hsjrev
Founding Member

CLASS motorcycle schools are less than $300 for the one day standard class if you go to Willow Springs. They are more expensive in other parts of the country but still a good bargain IMO. I learned a lot about safety and going faster and also had enough pure fun to easily justify the cost.

http://www.classrides.com/calander/calendar.html
hsjrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 04:19 PM   #7
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Take Sean's advice

Could you beat them in a race, simply because a B-Last won't rev to 9,000Rpm?
Old 02-29-2004, 06:50 PM   #9
MrCrashHappy
Founding Member

Default Brother Caveman makes an excellent point.

Read, take classes, or go to a track day because the input you get from professional fast guys will be of better quality and applicability than that of the well-intentioned. Going fast on the street is a risky business. You're exhibiting profound common sense. Never do anything that contradicts your inner voice in this regard. The fast guys in the canyons may be playing the odds. As long as there are no gravel spills in the corners or vehicles pulling out of blind driveways, they're first to the next stop sign. Fast for clear and dry pavement is no big deal. The same speed would be inappropriate when there's a surprise around the next curve and the margin of safety becomes slim to none. Also try stickier tires and adjusting your suspension. If the desire takes you, get a sportbike. Lots of factors can affect your confidence. Take your time and experiment. Best of luck, Ren. I like your style.
MrCrashHappy is offline   Reply With Quote