Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-03-2004, 07:11 PM   #42
MrCrashHappy
Founding Member

Default Farm equipment, what a nightmare.

My Dad had the great misfortune to meet a tractor coming at him on a narrow country road. The old boy was pulling a heavily loaded hay wagon right down the centerline. Dad spent two weeks in the hospital and several months recuperating. Some of the damage was permanent and bothered him until the day he died. Sorry for the non sequitur, but the memory was unavoidable. No road is truly safe. Yikes.
MrCrashHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 03:44 PM   #43
jkofsky
Founding Member

Default Re: How can I get faster?

Taking inspiration, I'm now signed up for Keith Code's 1 day school at Pocono on May 18. Will I see any other MOrons there?

jkofsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:57 PM   #44
karlitos
Founding Member

Default How can I get faster? Learn

There have been some excellent comments. I have been riding since a kid (not as lucky as some babies i have seen) for nearly 30 years. I am not "hard core" but i do get around..mostly dirt and road and roadracing.

I am another moderate "racer" (in spain) and i ride, at roughly 8-10 seconds of WSS lap record (but on a production 600). That is MORE than enough for me (or anybody at that level) to blow by trackday riders with ease (imagen the really fast guys!).

Nevertheless, quite often, i do get passed on the road and i dont mind or care. I have meet some of those "fast guys" as well... and over the years suggested for REAL hard riding, to take it the track. Naturally, they all sucked. Most of those "fast" guys rarely, if ever return.

As it has been mentioned, the road is not a place to measure or compare skill, as it is really just measurement of risk taking for the most part. Granted, a better rider will ride a confortable level while another is stressed out, but there is still somewhat high or even unaceptable risk regardless of skill.

Nevertheless, for better learning, which is always good, is to take a track school, preferably focused for street riders, rather than racing/lap times etc. Therefore being able to learn, practice and experiment in which is like a closed road, but with runoff. Therefore improving skill and confidence. It will be the BEST performance modification you will ever do and it will outlast any and every bike you will ever own.

karlitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 09:57 AM   #45
danis
Founding Member

Default Re: How can I get faster?

Hey, that's a small world. I live 90 kilometers from that track. You're talking about Serres, right?

I agree with what all folks wrote. Proper training and a couple of track days can have a huge impact on one's riding style and ability.

Like Sean said, it is the rider that counts, not the bike. I've been myself left behind quite a few times by more experienced riders on bikes much lesser than my Blade.

However, a bike in a good condition (tires, brakes, suspension), and a good set of riding gear (helmet, suit, boots, gloves, back protector) can also boost your confidence and help you go faster.

The funny thing is that my bike feels much better and I usually go faster when it is washed up and clean. I have no explanation for this; it just happens
danis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:46 AM   #46
scfrank
Founding Member

Default Re: How can I get faster? Learn

Every time you think about wicking it up faster than you comfort level. Read the following from the other post.

As it has been mentioned, the road is not a place to measure or compare skill, as it is really just measurement of risk taking for the most part. Granted, a better rider will ride a confortable level while another is stressed out, but there is still somewhat high or even unaceptable risk regardless of skill.

THen read it again.

I have been on the racetrack and that is the only place to learn how to ride a bike to its limits. Get on the track. You will be a better rider and very happy with the experiance.

scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:47 AM   #47
scfrank
Founding Member

Default Re: How can I get faster? Learn

If I could spell, I would be rich !

scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote