Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 03-02-2004, 09:50 PM   #31
centauro1000
Founding Member

Default Re: How can I get faster?

Interesting question. First off let me ask the question of those out there who want to go fast, but don't have the cash for a course - If you crash your bike when you push the envelope of your ability to go faster are you going to have the cash to fix the bike?

I saved long and hard to get my bike and would never think of doing something that would put it and me down the road. There are enough hazards out there already.

Having said that, I did shell out $50 to do a one day motorcycle training course that the local motorcycle police run. It included emergency braking, swerving, conering etc. It was really good as the guys running it had a pation for bikes just like the people attending the course. It was really amazing what they could do on their ST1100's. Professional training is very much worth the money as far as I am concerned.

If you really want to go fast, get some sticky tyres and get some good training.
centauro1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2004, 02:22 AM   #32
edward44
Founding Member

A Dirt bike would be the best advice except that at 38 crashing is going to hurt and if you don't crash you won't get anything out of it . Since the bike will skid at a much lower speed this will hone your reflexes

to a high degree and build self-confidence. But it take practice and time. Given your age, buy a lighter

bike and if this doesn't do it find some slower friends. I would skip track days-the high speed would spook you.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 03:21 AM   #33
ckirk
Registered Member

"FasterGoing "faster" comes from confidence. Confidence is gained by exploring the limits of the bike & tires while using proper riding techniques. Limits are safely reached in a controlled track environment and proper skills and techniques are taught in the various rider schools.

Bottom line .... like Sean says ... take any advanced rider school and you will not regret it. Track days alone are fine but so much more will be gained from a track day if you have been first grounded with some advanced riding knowledge. I won't go into a commentary of the various strengths and weaknesses of the schools I've attended, which include Spencer's, Code's CSS, Reggie Pridmore's CLASS & Jason Pridmore's STAR, as frankly I don't have time at the moment ... but suffice it to say that they each have much to offer & you will ride away a richer man.

You've got a huge advantage over many of us, as you live near some great tracks with instruction. My nearest opportunity is almost 750 miles away & I'll still be doing another STAR this month in NV & will be at Barber later this summer

Besides, the cost of one of these schools (Spencer's not included) isn't much more than the price of some of the fancy eye or go-fast candy we all feel compelled to add to our bikes.

Have fun!
ckirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 03:23 AM   #34
ckirk
Registered Member

Going "faster" comes from confidence. Confidence is gained by exploring the limits of the bike & tires while using proper riding techniques. Limits are safely reached in a controlled track environment and proper skills and techniques are taught in the various rider schools.

Bottom line .... like Sean says ... take any advanced rider school and you will not regret it. Track days alone are fine but so much more will be gained from a track day if you have been first grounded with some advanced riding knowledge. I won't go into a commentary of the various strengths and weaknesses of the schools I've attended, which include Spencer's, Code's CSS, Reggie Pridmore's CLASS & Jason Pridmore's STAR, as frankly I don't have time at the moment ... but suffice it to say that they each have much to offer & you will ride away a richer man.

You've got a huge advantage over many of us, as you live near some great tracks with instruction. My nearest opportunity is almost 750 miles away & I'll still be doing another STAR this month in NV & will be at Barber later this summer

Besides, the cost of one of these schools (Spencer's not included) isn't much more than the price of some of the fancy eye or go-fast candy we all feel compelled to add to our bikes.

Have fun!
ckirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 04:21 AM   #35
rocketorM3
Founding Member

Default take off those hi mileage tires

My first bike in 2k a YZF600R(not R6) came with BT56SS, I then switched to D207 and had to lower the triple clamps. That was a much better tire! I am now using Sportec M-1 and this one is phenomenal! You can't go fast without confidence in yourself and vehicle, better tires can transform the experience. The OEM tires were good for me to cut my teeth on, I must confess.

For me it comes down to front end feel and with each successive tire selection the front end became more responsive.

You will also have to experiment with front tire pressure.

Recently in 50 degree weather I was running with 30-31psi cold and since it was first time out in months I lived with it.

Upping the pressure made the bike as responsive as I remembered... I added 3psi hot. From 40 to 43 for example
rocketorM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 05:03 AM   #36
ZRX_bullock
Founding Member

Default want some credit here

Hey I want credit for the 7 dwarfs thing...anybody still wonder why longride is Grumpy the dwarf and not Happy the dwarf?
Old 03-03-2004, 07:07 AM   #37
aknopak
Founding Member

Default Re: Ride More

Exactly. I have spent 5 or 6 holidays taking long trips through different parts of Europe. Even though I was just touring and taking it easy, and even though I drive on a daily basis throughout the rest of the year, everytime I came back I noticed that I was cornering much more confidently and faster than before, without pushing anything.

You can probably have a good time on a track and learn a thing or two, but I think it's practice, routine and confidence which makes you faster on the road. Also, I think on the road you need different skills than on the track, it doesn't directly translate.

BTW, on those holidays I would also have an offday every now and then, and suddenly you find yourself driving way slower than the day before, just because you're not in the right frame of mind.

And I don't you need to change your bike (unless you feel uncomfortable on it) I am sure the Beemer is just fine, just take it out more often
aknopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 07:35 AM   #38
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

I'm only 25 and crashing still hurts me too.

A small light bike is definitely the way to go- a Yamaha TT-R125 or the equivalent Kaw/Suz 125 would probably be best.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:07 AM   #39
thesingletrack
Founding Member

Hi Ren ,

I ride in Israel and the closest track is in north Greese , but it is worth going ones a year all that way to get on the track , never the less I red the twist of the rist 2 and slowly excersized the drills , one at a time intil I felt the improovment I also made a point of overcoming what he calls the survivel reactions when rideing to work and so on , my best advice is to read the book and follow the advice it took about a year but now I am at the top of the group and a safer and much better rider
thesingletrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:50 AM   #40
edward44
Founding Member

wussey

edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote