Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-29-2004, 08:15 PM   #11
DannyZRC
Founding Member

Default Re: How can I get faster?

Maybe an inexpensive and lighter bike would also play party to increasing your skill as a rider? having a better, more precise feel for what's happening under you might be more of an aid than you first realize

SV650's are the low-weight leader, and from all accounts are a great skill-up ride.

my $.02
DannyZRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2004, 12:01 AM   #12
jaffaboy
Founding Member

Sean's right - It is all about the rider. But I wouldn't want to experiment on a 500lb++ bmw. I'd rather do my tests on a much cheaper, lighter bike (Anyone mentioned a used sv650?).

Dirt riding is also a great way to work on cornering skills, though the technique is somewhat different.

I've done a 2 day advanced riding course, and it has made my riding faster AND safer! you actually learn how to break, how to corner, and how to survive.

Long story short - get a cheap, used bike, spring for a nice course, and practice A LOT!

find a big, empty parking lot, and practice there (This is what we done). Mark a 'track' or a slalom with some half tennis balls, and start practicing.

It'll be fun AND cheap.

jaffaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 01:24 AM   #13
westcork
Founding Member

That's funny. I learned to drive a car in the Mt SAC parking lot. But security never bothered me. must have been the non-threatening VW micro bus...

As for the original question, I have the same challenge. I been riding for almost 20 years. But most of that time has been spent commuting. It wasn't until recently that I started riding for pleasure. And not too long after that I discovered all these wonderful canyon & mountain roads in Malibu and North of Los Angeles.

I usually ride alone. But occasionally I'll take a trip with a couple of freinds who are 15-20 years my senior. They generally have to wait for me catch up. It bothers me, to some degree, that I am not faster. But I am not about to use Angeles Crest as a place to experiment with advanced riding techniques.

I would like to take an advanced riding course. But the idea of going all the way up to Willow and spending that much money is a deterent. I don't want to race, I just want to corner better. I wish I could just go up to Dodger Stadium on the weekends and practice cornering in the parking lot.

westcork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 05:37 AM   #14
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Buy a small dirtbike and ride it every weekend. That will teach you more about controlling a motorcycle than a hundred riding schools ever could.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:54 AM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

And if you learn to do backflips chicks will dig you!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 09:58 AM   #16
Nplateau
Founding Member

Oh Buz, you're funny afterall!!!
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 01:26 PM   #17
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Yes, they will. Then you'll get to do durability testing on your hip/knee replacements.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:43 PM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Not to mention your teeth from the face plants into the cross bar!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 04:25 PM   #19
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Ride More

My first question is, how often do you ride? I find that even missing a few days of riding can bring down my skills. By riding every day at least 50 miles or more in addition to many of the suggestions above your skills should improve over times. I have seen fellow riders who ride weekend only and it shows.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 03:21 AM   #20
Mooner
Founding Member

Speaking of getting a dirt bike to improve your riding. I just traded the snow-machine for a CR 250. I've been riding on the street for about 7 years, and do a fair amount of mountain biking. Anybody know of any "Keith Code's" of the Dirt????

Thanks! Andy
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote