Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 02-18-2004, 07:11 AM   #121
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Can you say Enron, World Com

As Seruzawa said, it was mealy-mouthed politicians who took sweetheart donations and perks from these corporations and allowed their cheating ways to continue and proliferate. If you think Enron and World Com occurred to the complete surprise of our benevolent, watchdog-for-the-people government, perhaps you want to re-assess who is the truly naive one here. Lying, corrupt politicans had neck-deep involvement in these examples of corporate corruption from the very beginning. Nothing happens without their knowledge and approval.

When buying and selling are politically controlled, the first thing to be bought and sold are politicians.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2004, 07:36 AM   #122
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: The old gold standard agrument. Econ 101

And instead of market deflation, which can only go so far, we have infinite, government-mandated inflation, and a government that may deficit-spend our currency into worthlessness.

Yassir Arafat also won the Nobel Peace prize so spare me. Obviously any method of removing power from the people and putting market forces under government control is de facto desireable in your command-economy, statist, collectivist universe. You are a control freak. You want people under the thumb of government. They cannot be trusted to govern themselves.

My gold fund is up 34% in the last 5 months. Your blessed government is printing our money into insolvency, and there's nothing we can do about it. You can't go out and convert it all to an inflation-proof form of currency, such as gold. That is outlawed. We are held hostage by the state.

"The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."---Robert Heinlein

(KPaul is of the former persuasion---liberty is an anathema to him.)
Old 02-18-2004, 08:18 AM   #123
dylanmo
Founding Member

Default Re: The Governator takes a ride

Like I said, KP is a crude artifical intellegence trollbot. It's probably installed on an x486 computer buried deep within GOP HQ, and it's only purpose is to find forums which have nothing to do with politics, and may therefore contain independents and agnostics, and drive them all running and screaming from the Democratic Party with syrupy overspun electioneering. Hey Karl Rove, this is overkill!
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 09:46 AM   #125
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: The old gold standard agrument. Econ 101

So a statist-inflationist economist that wishes to replace true value with fiat currency under the complete and utter control of the state is a "conservative"? And you call me ignorant?!?!

If our money was fully-backed and redeemable in gold, Bush couldn't spend our money into worthlessness, idiot.

Friedman also promoted the tax withholding scheme, effectively innoculating sheep like you from seeing government as the parasite it is.

Friedman was wrong.

<a href="http://news.goldseek.com/LewRockwell/1068479490.php"> More info click here
Old 02-18-2004, 08:19 PM   #128
MrCrashHappy
Founding Member

Default Warning: Rambling, on-topic post. Read at your own risk.

Last year Citizen Arnold plowed his hawg into a cager on Santa Monica Boulevard. A event of small irony and happy coincidence since Saint John's trauma unit was nearby. Milwaukee Iron has a powerful attraction to America-friendly types everywhere. There is nothing quite as evocative as the sight of a 5'4", 150#, middle-aged Korean astride an Electraglide. Chaps, spiked beanie, heavily decorated vest, aviators, and a Winston. Wowsers.

Considering Arnold's dimensions, I am sympathetic with his choice of ride. My Old Man was an Indian guy dating back to the '40s. Owned two while he was in high school. Track star and bad boy with money. If it hadn't been for WWII, he'd have never reformed and I wouldn't be here to scribble this. Anyway. Dad went straight to Hondas when he re-entered the sport. For him, anti-Harley was a way of life. Since I got his cast-offs at great discounts, we were the world's smallest conspiracy.

Speed has been my addiction for a long time, but I sought it astride standards. There used to be two types of bikes: standards and variations on standards. That preference lasted until February 1999, when I plowed imy GPz1100 nto a cager on Telegraph Road. The trauma unit at Inova Fairfax was two light-years away. My luck stinks.

Speed, heavy traffic, and diminished margins for error in a motorcyle-unfriendly metro area demanded a new choice. First sportbike in Octorber 1999 at age never mind. They stop, they go, they permit later decisions and more alternatives. My still touchy lower back finds them comfortable too. It's purely personal. I adapted easily. There are others who can't.

If Arnold were a man of less impressive dimensions, I would recommend a sportbike. As things are, he probably couldn't adapt. On that Harley, he's instantly comfortable and, maybe more importantly, he's revelling in a unqiuely American experience. Him and that squirt I saw a Apsan Park. They seem happy.
MrCrashHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 10:12 AM   #129
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Hollywood rant

Ummm.. . you're correct in saying the 550 Maranello is a V-12, but you are incorrect on the sound. The sound was from a current Ferrari V-8 (either a 355 or a 360). Typical Hollywood B.S. at least the movie Torque got most of the sounds right (though it still sucked hind t).
Old 02-19-2004, 10:13 AM   #130
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Hollywood rant

Steve McQueen certainly got it. Ever see the movie Le Mans?