Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-28-2004, 01:59 PM   #1
k11rsrdr
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Response on Janklow Sentence

what ever the AMA decides to do on this issue, i will be 100% behind them...two motorcyclists killed in the last 3 years by congressman with no real punitive action taken is unconscionable...lets all get behind the AMA and see if we can affect some changes in the laws and the attitudes of those that feel they are above the law just because the write the law.
k11rsrdr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2004, 02:01 PM   #2
cyclesteve
Registered Member

How many of you wrote to the AMA to tell of your disgust with this issue and to advocate a Sturgis boycott?
cyclesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:06 PM   #3
k11rsrdr
Founding Member

i have, and i will again...and i think we should have a letter writing campaign to the Governor, their department of Tourism, the people in charge of the Sturgis/Black Hills Rally, the Sturgis Chamber of Commerce, and all of our elected Governos, Congressmen and Senators in every state in the union...two congressmen in the last three years getting off scot free for vehiclular manslaughter is two too many...if you or i had done the same thing while riding our motorcycle to a pedistrian, they would have locked us up and thrown away the key...
k11rsrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:11 PM   #4
cyclesteve
Registered Member

For those who have not yet contacted the AMA,start at the top. The AMA President Robert Rasor's e-mail is rrasor@ama-cycle.org
cyclesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:17 PM   #5
KPaulCook
Banned

Default A Boycott is not symbolic, it's real and punitive to SD

"But protests and symbolic gestures arenÂ’t enough -- we need to take the kind of action, nationally and locally, that changes the way the justice system sentences drivers who kill motorcyclists."

A Sturgis Boycot would cost the state in lost tax revenue. I don't see a boycott as symbolic when it has such an economic cost for SD.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:21 PM   #6
BykerGeek
Founding Member

The jury of his peers; the people of South Dakota did their job and convicted his a$$. It was a judge who imposed the laughable sentence. I abhor the dishonor Judge Steele did to this motorcyclist's (who was named Randy Scott) life lost but you can't hold the bar and hotel owners of Sturgis responsible for that. Check out this URL:

http://www.stoprecklessbill.com/

"A boycott doesn't hurt Janklow

A boycott of Sturgis will hurt bar owners, hotel and motel owners, restaurant owners, bartenders, waitresses, hotel housekeepers, and every citizen who benefits from the tax revenue of the annual trip. However, it will not hurt Bill Janklow. South Dakota's success is no longer a benefit to Bill Janklow. Frankly, if you want to hurt Bill Janklow, you'd need to be rooting for the Scott family civil suit right now. His life hasn't hit rock bottom quite yet. Wait until he has to settle the penalty in the civil case, and you'll start to plumb the depths of his despair."

BykerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:26 PM   #7
KPaulCook
Banned

Default People of South Dakota need to do more and a boycot will hurt future Janklows.

"The jury of his peers; the people of South Dakota did their job and convicted his a$$" Actually the people of South Dakota need to do more. Like pass a minimum sentence law for crimes. This takes it out of the hands of the judge. Federal Crimes have this so Federal Judges can't sentence folks under the min. A one year boycot makes the people of SD think how can we prevent this from happening again. i.e. Future Janklows will receive a stiff min. sentence.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:51 PM   #8
KPaulCook
Banned

Default By the way

Senator John Kerry rides a motorcycle. Perhaps he would be sympathetic to the needs of AMA members. Something to think about this election year.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:04 PM   #9
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Kerry is part of the Gray Pony Tailed Harley Brotherhood

"For years, he'd ridden foreign motorcycles a Triumph Bonneville back during his Navy days; later a Ducati; and then his most recent bike, a two-year-old BMW R1200 but now John Kerry was going American, and going whole hog. On a cool Saturday morning this past April, wearing a leather flight jacket festooned with Navy patches, the junior senator from Massachusetts walked through the glass doors of Harley-Davidson/Buell of Boston and wove his way through a chrome-capped sea of bikes, past Electra Glides and V-Rods, and past the new Dyna Wide Glides, perhaps the most unsubtle entry in the Harley-Davidson line and the senator's next bike. He didn't have to say who he was; with his long, aristocratic face and lantern jaw, and that famous head of salt-and-pepper hair, he was unmistakable. "They're bringing it out front," he was told, and he smiled. After years of shopping performance, John Kerry was opting for style; he was here to claim a Harley.

See Click here for more

Old 01-28-2004, 04:56 PM   #10
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: By the way

Doesn't Sen. Kerry want the b!tch Clinton to be his vice president? Now that is something to think about this election year.

I think there should be a boycott of Sturgis this year; I know it hurts people who had nothing to do with killing Randy Scott, but they did elect that swine Janklow multiple times.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote