Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-29-2004, 05:16 AM   #31
burtonsimmons
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA Response on Janklow Sentence

Well, Andy, that's a good question.

a) I think everyon'e pissed off because his sentence was significantly lighter than the average based on the crime, yet his actions (speeding, driving dangerously) were admitted habits - perhaps even a source of pride.

b) I think everyone's pissed off because we've all been riding down a country road, and it could be any of us who were broadsided at 90 mph, killed upon impact.

c) There's so much tragedy in this world that it's impossible to care about all of it, and retain one's sanity. Many of us care about this particular human's death because it's possible for us to go that way, too. Our odds of dying in an armed revolution are small. As are our odds (generally) of dying from starvation, summary execution, human sacrifice, sars, mad cow disease, or the plague. But our odds of going out on a motorcycle are pretty good, comparatively. I think we'd like to see Janklow punished more partially because we want everyone to be a little more careful when they drive.

Make any sense?
burtonsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2004, 05:17 AM   #32
burtonsimmons
Founding Member

Did anybody else read about this on CNN last week - right about the time that it actually happened?
burtonsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 05:28 AM   #33
maladg
Registered Member

While I well and truly lothe to agree with KPaul (aka "Wooden Indian") on anything, I have to concur...it is time for a Sturgis boycott. In my experience, Bob Rasor WILL read your email or snailmail. Lets get busy!

Lets not forget Carl Koella killing fellow rider Terry Barnhard either.

Maybe it is time for a Memorial Fund...How bout it, Bob...call it the "Scott - Barnard" Mem. Fund or something similar, but appropriate...targeted to assist families of AMA members with legal expenses incurred while tracking down these worthless murders (unfortunatly Koella is already dead of natural causes - and from Janklow's looks and history, he won't be around much longer anyway).

On a lighter note, maybe I'll just agree with Vlad instead.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 05:43 AM   #34
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Ok here's the deal: If you're a "Sturgis guy," boycotting Sturgis will be painful so go ahead and do it. If you're a "sportbike guy" or a non-motorcyclist such as KPaul, boycotting Sturgis would be as painful as me giving up Brussel Sprouts.

So non-Sturgis types should donate to the widow's memorial fund.

It's pretty easy to call for a boycott when there was no intention of going in the first place.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 05:44 AM   #35
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: George Credit Card Bush

I am John McCain Republican, meaning you don't spend more than you take in. You don't go to war unless it is absolutely necessary. I guess I am sliding to the left. But I really feel a war veteren like Kerry knows when to go the war or not.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 05:45 AM   #36
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Good point

Find out the memorial fund address and post it here.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:48 AM   #37
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Hell, Vlad, no "real motorcyclist" has gone to Sturgis in years. (No offense, Buz. I don't meen you.) The only ones who do, do so for the pose value and really have no idea who Randy Scott was or what happened to his killer.

The last time I went was either '99 or '00. My best friend got married in Sturgis a few years ago and he said he and his wife will not be returning this year. My mechanic who has gone for the last 20 some years didn't attend in '03 and said he won't be going back unless things change. These are just a few examples. I know quite a few more who say the same things.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 05:49 AM   #38
KPaulCook
Banned

You must of missed my post about John Kerry being member of the Gray Pony Tailed brotherhood
Old 01-29-2004, 05:53 AM   #39
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I've never been to Sturgis so I don't know how I turned into a Sturgis guy!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 06:04 AM   #40
Andonyx
Registered Member

Default Re: George Credit Card Bush

Even a lot of my Republican buddies are sick and tired of Bush. They look at it this way, here are some of the big tenants of Republicanism as they see it:

1. Federal Government stays out of social and private legislation especially when it has been established as a state issue. And yet Bush has run rough shod over Drug rights in California, Privacy rights everywhere, and his whole gay marriage thing and faith based initiatives is a way of mandating national religious social policy on a federal level.

2. Republicans are for smaller less complicated less bureaucratic government. Bush on the other hand has seen the largest expansion ever in both federal programs, federal emplyees, and federal payroll in single presidential term. The terror programs and homeland security account for most of it, but we haven't seen shred of evidence one that they do any good whatsoever.

3. Republicans are for fiscal responsibility and conservativeness. Bush has cut taxes, increased spending massively, and has run up the largest deficit in history, and this of course coming from the largest surplus in history. He has enacted legislation that will effectively bankrupt social-security and medi-care without having gradual or backup plans for the massive numbers of elderly Americans who will need them. My friends are not crazy about socialized programs, but even they recognize the huge effect on economy and spending suddenly ripping the carpet out from under 50 million elderly Americans will have.