Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-28-2004, 10:33 PM   #21
dragknt
Registered Member

Default Re: AMA Response on Janklow Sentence

A boycott may not hurt Janklow, but unless I've missed the point, hurting Janklow isn't the issue. The issue is making the nation conscious of the indecency and injustice behind what's happened, and being the catalyst for change. A unified, organized AMA-backed boycott will definately turn a few political heads, even if more locally than nationally, and may be a very strong first step. The hotel, motel, and other retail owners may suffer sales hits, in relation to their expected numbers, for the duration of the Sturgis boycott, but their actual sales won't be any lower than any other time of the year.

::Luke
dragknt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2004, 03:21 AM   #22
Mooner
Founding Member

Default Re: George Credit Card Bush

God Dam man, you switching your story again? I swear you were a staunch republican last time I heard you make unrelated political statements here! If I were to combine this with all of your other rants here, I would say you are a very confused soul.
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 03:25 AM   #23
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Sorry Abe, I agree that you ride like everyone is out to hit you, but a car doing 70+ mph is travelling at 102+ feet per second. No amount of even Rossi like superhuman skill is going to save any one from getting flattend at a blind intersection in the middle of a corn feild.

Are you sugesting that when you are riding down a highway with the right of way that you stop at every crossroad to look up the road? I don't think thats your intent. I've riden plenty of roads like that, when the crops are high even a semi can be hidden, much less a prick driving at 70+mph.

Janklow murdered Randy Scott, just as if he sat on the side of the road and shot him. This issue hits us because it was a motorcyclist that was killed. Most of us would be blind to this if it was a farmer in a pickup truck. The news coverage and lack of condemnation from the pundits shows that this story has very little legs outside of those affected by the murder of a fellow rider.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 03:30 AM   #24
Mooner
Founding Member

I realize that this is a motorcycle site, and we all share the love of motorcycling, but.... Does anybody else see this as simply one ashole running over a human being. Does he deserve a bigger sentence based only on the fact he killed one of us "motorcyclists". Why are we only pised off when it is a motorcyclist killed. There is no doubt that this kind of thing should carry a larger penalty under these circumstances. The circumstances I am referring to are the nature of the accident and Janklow's past, not what the person he killed was driving. Sure the guy might have survived if he was in a car, but that is the risk we all take every time we climb on.

-Andy
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 03:33 AM   #25
EricZZR
Registered Member

Default Stupid Judge

The laws were in place to give this scumbag a 10-year sentence. But the judge was the one that slapped his wrist instead. We should all be writing to the judge to tell him he should resign - and otherwise vent our opinion. Find out where he lives and picket his house.
EricZZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 03:48 AM   #26
SRMark
Founding Member

Seems that one should expect a laughable sentence from a mickey-mouse court in Minnehaha County.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 03:49 AM   #27
SparkyBlue
Founding Member

Yea, let's boycott Sturgis and save some more lives.
SparkyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 03:49 AM   #28
SRMark
Founding Member

Ok. I ain't goin'. Remember my words when you don't see me there.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 04:21 AM   #29
teapotdome
Registered Member

A Sturgis boycott would be the easy, mindless thing to do.

Why not use Sturgis as an opportunity for a number of activist events? Let's have a demonstration for legislation that imposes stiffer penalties for habitual offenders. Let's have a fund-raiser for the Scott family. Let's show South Dakota that there's a good reason that we all congregate there every fall -- to celebrate motorcycling in all of its forms.

I think that showing up at Sturgis in huge numbers, advocating our sport and providing some comfort to the Scott family and the families of fallen bikers everywhere would be a fitting tribute, and a responsible retort to Janklow's feeble sentence.
teapotdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 04:31 AM   #30
Buzglyd
Founding Member

This message board really has gotten a lot better since KPaul quit insulting various groups and stopped posting endless political drivel!

Thanks MO!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote