Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-26-2004, 10:23 AM   #31
donalcallis
Founding Member

Default Re: What a Crew

Gee, longride, I did complain to the staff at MO - DIRECTLY, and got no reply (and neither was it posted for the public to view).

Besides, longride, if "every news item becomes a personal crybaby session about MO content", then just maybe the majority of us subscribers "have a problem with the lack or quality of content". Have you considered that?

Earlier, I posted a complaint not only about the content, but also about the lack of moderation of the email group. And, I specifically mentioned an individual who likes to use this forum to expouse his political views. Gee, longride, this puke has done it again. Scroll up, and see his rant on Bush. The message he sent has nothing to do with motorcycles, but since (apparently) nobody is home (or cares about this site), his ranting is allowed to continue. This site is supposed to be about motorcycles (and gear and apparel), NOT POLITICS!

So, longride, Sheesh yourself, and get with the program. This isn't a free site, and those of us that spend our money expect something of value in return. That is what capitalism is all about. No worthwhile product, no customers. Those of us that have paid dues expect something in return. Not KPaul related, but something motorcycle related.

It may not be easy trying to do what the MOrons are trying to do, but, if they are going to charge a fee, then they "have" to deliver a product of value to attract or retain customers. It is as simple as that.

donalcallis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2004, 10:26 AM   #32
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Are you a whiny bytch in real life or do you just play one on the internet?
Old 01-26-2004, 10:29 AM   #33
donalcallis
Founding Member

Ken,

bravo zulu

Dc

ps: that means - good job, well done, keep up the good work.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:32 AM   #34
donalcallis
Founding Member

And who is this directed to, longride? Hmmm.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:35 AM   #35
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

So you mailed Sean directly and you got no response, or did you just post something to be put up here? I always get a response when I mail them. Yes, KPaul is an annoying idiot, but MO has a policy not to censor posts, which I agree with. Does something need to be done with those that just disrupt and annoy? Probably. What would you suggest? Ban them? Not sure that is the answer. I think there is an unrealistic expectation that because you can log on every day there will be a new article every day. They are trying to deliver a good product, and I think they are doing a decent job. Could it be better? Sure. Couldn't everything be better? I think a note to Sean about your expectations and how the site could be improved would be a whole lot more productive that ranting and raving here, don't you?
Old 01-26-2004, 10:36 AM   #36
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Not you.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:59 AM   #37
donalcallis
Founding Member

Gee, longride, some of what you say makes sense. And, while I can understand and appreciate the view you have, I just can't completely agree with everything you've said.

For example - Censoring posts. I would rather not having posts censored. But, as this is a motorcycle forum, why would the site continually allow someone to post "non-motorycle related" posts? If KPaul's postings were about the virtues of the SV, Connie and VFR, regardless of what his criteria was, then I wouldn't mind his ranting. But politics? Postings about nothing but politics? C'mon. I mean, sheesh, what if all my postings were about the virtues of buying roses over any other flower? My point is that there has to be some limits.

Secondly, I don't expect a new article every day. Nor, I suspect, do most people. But, this is a pay-per-view site (sorta), and when people pay, they expect 'things' They expect some value for their money. And, if they don't receive value for their money, they will complain, just as we are doing. It is simply a fact of life. Any one who has tried to deliver a service for a living will understand that.

As for emailing Sean directly as opposed to using this public posting - I definitely disagree with you on that. I personally feel that going public (and allowing everyone to comment - pro or con) is the best way to allow the staff at MO to see what their customers are thinking. Maybe I have an idea, but if I send it directly to Sean, no one else has a chance to review it, or improve upon it. It isn't just about what I want, but IT IS ABOUT WHAT WE WANT. And, I think we can see that many people agree that this site isn't delivering what is expected.

Bottom line; Don't deliver, hear complaints, don't get paid. America's best.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:05 AM   #38
donalcallis
Founding Member

btw, longride, could "I" do a better job than the staff at MO? I doubt it. Not by myself, anyway. FTR.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:37 AM   #39
Neal
Founding Member

First of all I have just renewed because I feel the site is well worth my buck a month.But I also feel the staff has been in a slump lately.Some of the negative posts have indeed been ignorant,insulting whining,but some ,I feel ,fall into the category of constructive criticism.I also feel it is appropriate to post these on the open forum so the staff can get a feel for a how widespread the dissatisfaction is. As far as KPAUL's rants,I'm torn....I dont like the idea of censorship or "banning '"folk,but his political rants and personal attacks are distracting and aggravating. Perhaps if the staff can contact him directly and ask him to tone down it may help.It may also help if some others would refrain from baiting him and responding to his attacks . Some of his more coherent posts on the subject of motorcycles have actually been interesting(admittedly a minority). Although he often acts like an idiot,it is obvious that he's not. Maybe we should ALL take a deep breath and try to post coherent on -topic inputs without resorting to personal attacks. I used to enjoy this site because of the acerbic wit and vigorous discussion and disagreement but lately it has gotten out of hand. If the staff(and Im sure they will)break out of their slump and we try to be a little more civil and stay on topic,this can be a great site again.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 11:50 AM   #40
donalcallis
Founding Member

Good post, good thoughts. I would love to see this site live up to the potential they obviously have. Whether or not the current management can do that is something that I am not sure of. Time will tell, I guess.

BTW, my mother rides a VMax. Anyone in the San Diego area who sees it, please let me know. Last I heard, there was a troop ship sailing soon, so she's probably swimming after it (or on-board already). So, the bike is probably near one of the docks. Lemme know if you spot it, so I can make sure the salt-air doesn't do too much damage. (To the bike, that is.)