Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-22-2004, 01:25 PM   #21
ewok1
Founding Member

Default Re: Senator Jankow to be sentenced today.

perspective is an honorable goal. voicing displeasure over perceived injustice is also an honorable goal.

the sentence does not seem enough out of the ordinary to declare that a fix was on. hopefully the survivors will not settle for policy limits and go after mr. janklow personally.

litigation doesn't cure people like janklow, but he will suffer.

i was pissed off too. then i saw that south dakota doesn't seem to do much to people who use cars to kill people. not that i ever plan to go to that godforsaken wasteland ever again, but now i have another reason. i say give the whole state back to the buffalo.

at some point forming the intent to drink, speed and blow through stop signs transcends mere negligence.

he may not be able to run for office, but it is naive to believe he won't wield as much or more power as he ever has. he will now be a lobbyist and kingmaker, the putz.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2004, 01:28 PM   #22
jaypuck
Founding Member

wow. I was going to say something similar but the mob mindset around here can't seem to get their head around the fact that he got just about the usual sentence for second degree manslaughter, especially involuntary. reckless driving (even habitual) is a daily occurence in this nation and the fact that he killed someone while doing it leads to jail time but, good lord, claiming he should get the maximum sentence for this is ludicrous.

I'm with you jb....nevermind. I just got a ticket a month ago for 100 mph in a 40. if I had hit someone it would have killed them. I would expect to go to jail for, at most, a year. if I had hit a motorcyclist, the consensus on the mo message board would be to hang me in the town square. perspective is about right because if it had been a yugo this would not have even been thought of by the majority of the people on here.
jaypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 01:29 PM   #23
rapier
Founding Member

Here is the main political point. If Jankow was an Indian, ie. a SD ******, and killed a nice white boy, he would have gotten the max. Something most here seem to think is the right sentence for Jankow..

That belief is tied in with group identity and the victim being of the group. So next time there is some political dust up over police killing some minoritiy and the INEVITABLE official sanction for the force used you can now know why they feel that way. You've been there.

It's always easy to call for the head of someone when they hurt your group. Just as it's always easy to seek leniency for members of your group.

So it goes.

rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 01:35 PM   #24
F451
Founding Member

Default Screw Jacknoff, Screw Sturgis

Screw them all. I'm so pissed off! Hell, move to SD, drive like $hit--repeatedly--KILL an innocent person, terrorize others, ALL for 100 days. Life is cheap in SD. F##k Janklow and the horse he rode in on. If there is fund for the family who is suing this POS, I'm sending money! F##ked up politicians, every last one of 'em.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 01:36 PM   #25
mattg
Founding Member

Not even a slap on the wrist. Sure he was sentanced to 100 days, but he will only serve 30, and then does the rest in community service. See to it that his service is turning out the lights in Sturgis after it becomes a ghost town.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:42 PM   #26
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Interesting Idea to save American Jobs

"Tax Breaks to Expand Manufacturing Jobs in the U.S. Over 2.7 million manufacturing jobs have been lost since President Bush took office. John Kerry will save jobs by ending the unpatriotic practice of U.S. corporations moving offshore simply to avoid paying their fair share of our nationÂ’s tax burden. To create new manufacturing jobs Kerry will:

Get the Crane-Rangel-Hollings legislation enacted, which provides a corporate rate reduction to manufacturers who produce goods in the United States;

Propose a new jobs tax credit to encourage manufacturing companies to stay and expand in America. When a manufacturing company creates jobs above their 12 month average, the payroll taxes of the new employees will be refunded for two years.

Immediately restore and double funding for the Manufacturing Extension Partnership that President Bush slashed by 80%."

Click here

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 01:44 PM   #27
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default SHIVER ME TIMBERS!

LET'S GET A POSSE TOGETHER, RIDE THERE, BUST HIM OUT OF JAIL AND STRING IM UP IN THE TOWN SQUARE! WAIT, Hangin's too good for him...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 01:55 PM   #28
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

Letters to:

Governor Mike Rounds

State Capitol

500 E. Capitol Avenue

Pierre, SD 57501

Phone: 605-773-3212

Attorney General Larry Long

Office of the Attorney General

Same address as above

E-mails via the SD Web site.

Dunno if it'll do much in this case, and not sure how to get that judge's contact info, but damn, gotta do something.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 02:21 PM   #29
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default HEY I GOT A IDEE!

Let's introduce a bill where anybody convicted of manslaughter automatically donates their goldurn organs!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 02:38 PM   #30
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: HEY I GOT A IDEE!

JB if there is a pot, man you got the stick to stir it! Gotta love it.