Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-20-2004, 01:33 PM   #81
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Torque Movie Review(s)

Go with with it.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2004, 04:03 PM   #82
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

In every way in which the cinematic experience may be quantified this drivel is more painful to sit through than sh*tting a bucket of nails. Nonexistant plot, moribund characters, insulting lack of technical saavy.... But there is the best CGI state of the art vacuum tube computers are capable of rendering. Score one for the filmaker.

With a target audience not smart enough to make sufficient bank to purchase a movie ticket what's the point?

Absolutely the sine qua non of cinematic turdom.

sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 04:17 PM   #83
julian
Founding Member

I hope you get "Faster" at the show.

When I asked about the movie at the New York show, I was told that the response wasn't what they had hoped for at the shows for and had cancelled showings at the previous show and New York...Major Bummer

My current hpe is that release it on DVD soon.

You can keep current with the movie's status at

http://www.fastermovie.com/news.html

Good Luck

Julian
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 04:31 PM   #84
pjd2ss
Founding Member

Default Re: Born again

Hypocrite? would that be like a president who made sure he got on the news regularily leaving church with his Bible in hand all the while planning his next game of hide the cigar with his intern?

pjd2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:15 PM   #85
BrokenLink
Founding Member

Default $11.4 million latter and #5 at the box office

I think if you ask anyone in the business (movies). Most ticket going folks are in the 14-26 age group (males predominately). Older folks do not go to movies anymore. They rent DVDs, VHS, and watch HBO, TBS, USA, NBC, ....

By the way this age group, Gen Ys, have a lot money to spend. All you have to do is go to large multplex ciniema on a Saturday night to see evidence of that. So if you go to the variety.com you will see that Torque took in $11.4 million on its first weekend compared to Cold Mountains $7.9 million. I am sure that Torque was much cheaper to make and will have a better profit margin.

BrokenLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:23 PM   #86
BrokenLink
Founding Member

Default I hate to agree with KPaul but...My kids will testify to that.

You are right on this one. The target audience is enthusiastic about this movie. I ask my kids about it and they say all the kids in school are talking about like it is the next Fast and Furious. It was #5 at the Box office this weekend. see variety.com
Old 01-20-2004, 05:29 PM   #87
BrokenLink
Founding Member

Default A sad day for MO.

I hope KPaul stays. He kind of grows on you. He shows breadth and depth in his interests and opinions. I originally wanted him to leave but he definitely makes MO interesting. Variety is the spice of life.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:37 PM   #88
dominatr37
Founding Member

Default Re: Congrads for getting it.

Yeah gotta agree with this comment. I don't care what anyone says, it was fun, and pure escapism. Those that nit pick it apart had better learn to loosen up a little bit, and perhaps to laugh at themselves a little bit more. Oscar winner? No. But most Oscar winners suck anyway.
dominatr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:58 PM   #89
JohnnyBandito
Founding Member

Wow! Someone else has seen "Full Throttle"?! I loved that friggin movie. I was teaching English in Korea and rented it so many times from the local movie store that I finally just gave the guy a 5-er and he told me I could keep it (I think I was the only one renting it). Street racing what looked like HRC RS250's, with some steller camera work, great sounds, and some amazing roads! Nice. My limited Korean helped me catch about 6% of the dialogue from the subtitles, and my Cantonese is non-existant, but I still give that movie 2 pistons up. Way up.
JohnnyBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:11 PM   #90
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: $11.4 million latter and #5 at the box office

While you are accurate about the first week's gross I am quite sure that your conclusion about the overall profitabilily of this masterpiece couldn't be more incorrect. Torque was an expensive movie to cast and to shoot and is not likely to ever return a profit in theatrical release. Any potential and unlikely profits will come from the overseas release and DVD's. And in these days and times #5 in a slow week and 11.4 mil is not exactly a complement to this film of boundless magnitude (Ice Cube probably got most of that by himself). I expect next week that it will drop into well-deserved oblivion.

Several of the more prominent MO-rons lobbing critical bombs at this piece of junk have actually been present during the initial pitch and development hollywood films and do, in fact, have insight into the "business." Even ezine dudes get around. Do you think Sean and Ebass actually paid to see this masterpiece?

cheers - and fix that broken link pard

sbp

sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote