Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   Torque Movie Review(s) (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/2297-torque-movie-review-s.html)

anrajala 01-20-2004 02:29 AM

Re: Torque Movie Review(s)

I haven't seen the Torque, and never will, but I can assure you this movie can not be as bad as "Driven". Also rottentomatoes.com has 19% positive reviews to Torque and 14% to Driven.

To me, this CART world imitating complete fiasco is the worst film ever. Penned by Stallone himself, it is full of cliches and ABSOLUTELY INANE action.

How 'bout this for a typical CART racing incident: In the heat of the race a guy drives off the track and ends up in a lake drowning. Unfortunately he must have been driven quite a bit wide since he's in the middle of the wilderness and there is nobody to save him. Only a fellow competitor, the worst enemy, after a valiant off-road driving in his open wheeler, gets to the scene and saves the guy just before the lake bursts into flames, meanwhile a TV crew copter shoots the thing for the whole world to see. Talk about big drama.

- cruiz-euro

grubz916 01-20-2004 02:38 AM

yeah I agree, driven totally sux. At the very least they could have given the German dude a more original name than Brandenburg!! That took a lot of thought to concieve.

seruzawa 01-20-2004 03:00 AM

Spot on. How about the stupid remake of "Gone in 60 Seconds?" The ridiculous chase scenes which were created by CGI and editing tricks made the whole thing a yawn.

When you watch good stunts, where it's actually actual people doing actual things with actual vehicles, you know that there was a lot of real time and effort put into the production. CGI stuntsd are just lazy movie making.

It's why Jackie Chan's schlocky movies are far more exciting than yawners like "Matrix Reloaded".

sanchin 01-20-2004 03:07 AM

Why is everyone so upset ! I went through the process of critisizing movies based on deviation from reality when I was 12 regarding guns, karate, and the laws of physics (gravity, thermodynamics, etc..) Film makers have no

intention of promoting facts but want to sell tickets. The only part that bothers me about these movies is that some nitwit will believe what they see and A. try it (squids, sideways gun shooters, etc..) or B. legislate something they saw in a movie that they think they need to protect us from.

redlmtt 01-20-2004 03:30 AM

I've only seen the trailers-but it doesn't look like a good comic strip, never mind a movie about motorcycles.

On the other hand, McQueen's LeMans is a great movie about racing, but a lousy "movie" that would have sunk to total oblivion if he hadn't been involved.

Real chase scenes with "practical" stunts as opposed to CGI etc. are a lot more interesting and can even carry a film-see the original "Italian Job".

Have you seen LeLouche's "C'Etait une Rendezvous"?

grubz916 01-20-2004 03:46 AM

I agree with y'all MOFO's, CGI nowadays generally sux. I thought Behind Enemy Lines was a good movie ruined by the stupid slo-mo shots of jets exploding and people being flung thru the air. Completely overdone. Plus that gangsta-rappin' Bosnian (or Slovakian?) kid annoyed me

I'll probably end up renting Torque when it comes on DVD, but I already know what to expect. Half-baked storylines seemingly written to tie together all the CGI & cliches.

O well, I guess it won't matter since I'll be drunk.

electraglider_1997 01-20-2004 04:35 AM

Two thumbs up.

I laughed, I cried. It was a poignant film for the times. I'll see this film over and over again whenever I need to be uplifted and made happy again. The social message alone is worth twice the price of admission. I smell Oscar all over this masterpiece.

seruzawa 01-20-2004 04:52 AM

What a snoozefest

"Driven" to suicide is more like it. They should've made the German guy a clone of Hitler and his pit crew could have been reincarnations of Goebbels, Himmler, Goering and Bormann. He could have been winning races because of devlishly clever sabotage.

And they should have had Estella Warren walking around nude with absolutely no spoken dialogue for her. Or better yet since dialogue is not required use Laetitia Casta.

Campy, you bet, but it wouldn't have been near the borefest.

For real Stallone car race action rent Deathrace 2000. Now there's a real classic!

seruzawa 01-20-2004 04:54 AM

Re: Two thumbs up.

Monet Masur is certainly to be associated with being uplifted.

TatdNPrcd 01-20-2004 04:58 AM

"...just pick any jackie chans movie."

That is except for "The Tuxedo". CGI at its worst.