Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-08-2004, 02:32 PM   #1
grandmasta-flash
Founding Member

Default Re: Sliding off roads - How to avoid it?

Experience is still the best teacher.

1st post
grandmasta-flash is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2004, 02:40 PM   #2
GogglesPaisano
Founding Member

I'm with Sean. People don't typically slide off good tarmac following normal cornering procedure. You probably found some antifreeze or oil from some sh*tbox that leaks all over the road.

-=Goggles=-
GogglesPaisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 02:47 PM   #3
picouc
Founding Member

before i say anything, thanks for sharing with us. we can all learn from that.

it is not easy to see what happened over the internet, and you don't seem to be sure anyway, but here's what came to mi mind...

when you locked the rear wheel you might have killed the motor. if you were still in gear or didn't hold the clutch down, the motor was probably braking almost as much as the rear brake was before you let it go.

if you tell me that you were holding the clutch, i can only suggest riding school (no offence... we all need it).

picouc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 03:02 PM   #4
KPaulCook
Banned

Thanks for sharing this. Its is great you were wearing the proper safety gear. Since I only have 17,000 miles of experience, I too, am curious to hear more experienced rider's theories. I almost put my bike down in a similar way but the pavement had sand and leaves as the culprit. I was only going 15mph up a tight corkscrew so I could stand the bike up.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 03:21 PM   #5
Vlad
Registered Member

i did have some thoughts and also hope that other MOridians will critique what I have to say. I just retook the MSF course. In it, my instructor was pretty adamant about not braking once in the corner unless it's impossible to avoid it. He also said that once locked, leave the rear wheel that way, since releasing it can cause a high side when the tire regains grip, which sounds like what happened.

Regardless of my years of riding, I haven't had an accident like this one (thank you, knock on wood), but have hit slick spots in turns. I stay away from the brake and pull in the clutch, since a freewheeling rear tire will give you the best traction. Nonetheless, as in everything in motorcycling, there are no hard rules. Hope this helps; glad you weren't hurt more seriously. I look forward to the thoughts of others.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 04:01 PM   #6
maccasmark
Founding Member

"...since releasing it can cause a high side when the tire regains grip, which sounds like what happened..."

It didn't sound like a high side to me - he continued sliding until he slid into the concrete ditch. So his tyres never regained grip.
maccasmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 04:29 PM   #7
wrecks
Founding Member

Could have been that damned "pea gravel". Very hard to see and can put you down very fast.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 04:59 PM   #8
clively
Founding Member

Sounds like your thumb might have been broken from holding the handle bar on impacting the curb or while you were tossed down the hill. I talked to a guy who was riding a demo Moto Guzi through a twisty rode when for unknown reasons the back tire locked up & he went down. I didn't see the bike but told him to check the chain or belt & brake assembly (my front brake has locked for no reason before). While you replay the incident in your head, try & remember if the rear wheel locked up and stayed that way despite you letting off of it (caused by a mechanical problem), if you locked it up & let off of it to soon causing it to straighten & throw you off

(rider induced error), or if a slick substance like oil or sand & maybe to much lean caused it (I've leaned to aggressively on new bikes before). When cornering I slow before the turn and accelerate through it, in racing I think they call it hitting the apex or something, but accelerating propels you better through the turn. You might have had a little more speed than you thought going in, locked up the back tire, started looking at the curb/ditch and despite steering, you usually go where you are looking. I am no pro just learned a little from experience. It's rarely a mechanical problem but riders becoming complacent or yucky stuff on the roadway (like spilled diesel at the intersection by the gas station) that lead to collisions. IMHO
clively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:06 PM   #9
FrankS1
Founding Member

Had something like that happen to me in Corona, CA. In my case also, no warning, just WHAM! as I came down a steeply curved off ramp from the 91 Fwy. No flip back up, though. The cause in my case was pretty obvious, though. It was that nemesis of S. California bikers, the First Rain of the Season. In my case, the only injury was a dislocated shoulder, no great pain, but VERY noticeable when "officer friendly" (CHP) told me I couldn't leave the bike there. Duh!! At least he did most of the grunting to help pick it up.

I heard three calls on his squack box while we were discussing the situation so he didn't even take the time to check DL and registration, since there was no property damage and my injury didn't show - he had more serious problems to deal with.

The family Chiropractor is VERY good with dislocations, and made no nasty wise cracks. Got a new jacket with heavier shoulder padding, and replaced the scratched helmet visor.

I was rolling off the throttle when I lost it, but no brake. However, as I recall, both tires went out together, so deceleration had little to do with it. Speed less than 20 mph. Had I known better at the time, I'd have assumed glare ice traction and "paddled" the bike - which might have meant a cage would run me down, though.
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:28 PM   #10
Vlad
Registered Member

That didn't seem really clear to me. But he described himself as being "flipped" into the ditch, so I thought high side.

F
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote