Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-08-2004, 05:48 PM   #11
giuliom
Registered Member

Default Re: Sliding off roads - How to avoid it?

I bet the guy had fun trying to find the chain or belt on his Moto Guzzi, since all US models have shaft drive....

giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2004, 07:08 PM   #12
clively
Founding Member

notice I said I never saw the bike (I've never seen a Moto Guzi in person) but my rear tire has locked when my belt broke and a friend's also did when his chain messed up somehow. remember I'm not a professional m/c guru.
clively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 06:13 AM   #13
cruiser394
Founding Member

It's always hard to diagnose a problem without seeing the scene firsthand, but two things come to mind- both very basic. The first is something someone else already mentioned- there was probably something slick on the road that you never noticed (antifreeze, oil, etc.).

The other is that once you felt like you were losing control, you probably fixed your focus on where you were going to hit as you were sliding towards the ditch. Remember the bike will usually go where you're looking, so make it a point not to look where you don't want to go. Many times (not always) you can ride out of a problem by focusing on the road where you want to go and riding it out. Doesn't always work, and you may have done that, but most riders don't have the practice and discipline to do that under emergency conditions. Maybe you did that, and nothing could have helped. Glad you're (mostly) OK.
cruiser394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 06:39 AM   #14
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Front Brake

One question, why weren't you using your front brake? On most bikes it provides most of the stopping power and is very hard to lock up while letting your back wheel still rotate which provides most of your stability, and you wonÂ’t chance killing your engine if you didnÂ’t pull in on the clutch.

gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 07:30 AM   #15
shaneman
Founding Member

Rear tire traction is the most important thing especially in a turn. Stay of the rear brake period. In my squid years I have had the rear brake locked without even realizing it! On sport bikes the majority of your braking power is the front brake, use it, learn it, love it because the rear brake will only get you into trouble. My position on this would be HIGHSIDE plain and simple. if you unhook the rear tire from to much gas or braking and your in a turn and you let off the brake or chop the throttle that = HIGHSIDE... you said you noticed the rear was sliding with the rear brake locked my guess is you let of the brake the bike abruptly hooked back up and threw you off that is why the bike and you also took different paths down the hill. Anyone? 954 RR keep the rubber side down, and the knee whatever your pleasure....
shaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 02:08 PM   #16
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Grappelli I know that you are a smart guy and an experience rider so I will not burden you with condescending advice. If you ride enough every once in a rare (hopefully) while you are going to encounter a set of circumstances that are gonna put you on the ground. The more experienced you are the more you can forstall this (and the better your odds are of coming through it relatively unscathed) but at some point no matter how good of a rider you are something like this happens to all but the most fortunate.

The mere fact that you had the wisdom and presence of mind to be wearing a full face DOT/Snell helmet and fundtional protective clothing speaks volumes about your preparedness.

I second Sean's assessmenmt. It could have just been a bad alignment of the stars. It is very possible that the same thing would have put myself and 99% of the rest of us in the same place.

One thing though. The only place I EVER touch my rear brake on any road bike is going into turn 1 at Willow Springs and then only on my 954. I have trained myself to stay away from the rear break in panic situations. Track reflexes help here immensely but I just try to ride the slide until I feel things starting to hook back up - modulating traction with throttle rather than brake. Ashley calls this "an innate sense of traction" but I think that one can develop this sense of feel with some practice. You can practice this at very low speeds on dirt bikes and it is an incredibly useful survival skill.

Best of luck.

sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 01:14 PM   #17
DavidGarcia
Founding Member

3 months ago I had a similar accident. I was getting on a highway onramp. I was going a littlle too fast and reluctanlty eased on the brakes just as I hit a diesel spill. The front wheel went into a tank slapper and before I could react bucked me off like a bronco, breaking 3 ribs. Since you say your bike was sliding vertically, I can only suspect that it encountered something slippery like diesel or ice.
DavidGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:41 PM   #18
EdgyDrifter
Founding Member

Well, since this seems to have happened in Mexico, I suppose spilled diesel is more likely the culprit than black ice.
EdgyDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote