Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-04-2004, 08:03 AM   #1
vfr101
Registered Member

Default Re: American made motorcycle engine

They're cute little 3/4 size cruisers, but did you look at the prices? $13,100 for a 25 HP motorcycle that can go "75 Plus MPH" is a little more than I'd like to pay....

Oh yeah, First Post....
vfr101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2004, 08:11 AM   #2
wwalkersd
Founding Member

They've been among those little ads in the back of the MC magazines for years, mostly building small cruisers with automatic transmissions.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 09:36 AM   #3
sarnali
Founding Member

The engine photo's in the factory shots look like those "super V" engines Harley Nostalgia was trying to flog in the 80's through Supercycle magazine.

They were their own crankcase castings using Chevy 350 pistons, valves and distributer and HD primary drive, clutch and transmissions. You had to buy the kit bike fom them and they'd sell you the engine to go with it. I don't think they lasted very long, maybe these guys bought up their castings.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 09:45 AM   #4
robb_millett
Registered Member

Those engines in the automatic bikes look an awful lot like the big Briggs & Stratton Vanguard V-twins, with different rocker covers and air-cooling shrouds.

engines are the most expensive part of any bike's development, I'd be really surprised if Ridley weren't buying engines from an established vendor.

first heard of the little Ridleys in a shorty riding ippression Burnsie did on CW as I recall. It'd be a fun little bar-hopper.
robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 10:08 AM   #5
obandoj
Founding Member

I remember seeing a couple of them at Laguna Seca during WSB and AMA weekend about three years ago, they sounded and looked pretty good. I never heard anything else about them untill now, they are pretty nice little bikes but their prices are way out of proportion, so to speak !
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 10:36 AM   #6
wrecks
Founding Member

Looks like a SOHC Honda generator motor and a snowmobile drivetrain.

"That means you don't have to know how to shift to ride this bike!"

I'm waiting until they come out with one where "you don't have to know how to steer!"
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 10:52 AM   #7
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Hey, MO, check out where they come from. I'd seen the Speedster and Auto-Glide at a local bike night dinner spot and found out they were built right here in Oklahoma City. According to the folks who ride them they're the greatest bike on the road but that's expected.

Haven't seen the new X-Glide yet. Looks nice though and I hope you guys get one for review. I think Rider did a review a couple years ago.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:21 PM   #8
kawazuki
Founding Member

Ok, they are claiming a 265 lbs dry weight, which is astonishingly low. I don't know why they are getting such poor performance out of a nearly 600cc engine, though.

With a dirtbike thumper in that frame, it could be a seriously kicky little cruiser.

Way too expensive, though.

-Ogre
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:26 PM   #9
kawazuki
Founding Member

Ok, that is cool. Their "automatic" transmission is really a CVT. They should play that up more. And the 83 MPG highway rating is pretty cool, too.

-Ogre
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:26 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

I'm waiting until they come out with one where "you don't have to know how to steer!"

I think I saw those at the last local novice race I went to.