Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-06-2004, 03:39 AM   #61
mrvincent
Founding Member

Default Re: American made motorcycle engine

From their webpage:

'Each and every Ridley Motorcycle engine is assembled at the Ridley Motorcycle factory in Oklahoma City. While Ridley does not cast the engine, it does use outside vendors to cast the blocks to Ridley's exact specifications. So when you ask us, "who makes your motor?" -We do. '

Guess we need an expert to tell us what "assembled" means. Seems like a very flexible word.
mrvincent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2004, 03:43 AM   #62
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Why bother

As I suspected my verbose request for a Kook fiilter button resulted in even more unhinged posts from ol' Bloody Stool.

It is my mission to finally drive him into the nuthatch. All for the good of society and the safety of our children.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:20 AM   #63
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: The Motorcycle Connections to the politics of wealth, war, and trade.

Worst. Parents. Ever.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 04:22 AM   #64
Buzglyd
Founding Member

If it's "for the children," I'm all for it.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:27 AM   #65
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Standard longride response

Even the lifestyle bikes have gone by the wayside (EH, Indian). Only Polaris has been successful so far because they've been in business for 50 years and have huge amounts of money to lose. I'll bet actual sales numbers for Victory aren't exactly through the roof.

I think we can agree that starting any kind of motorcycle company in this day and age is a daunting proposition. All the motorcycle companies that are currently successful have been around for a long time.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:40 AM   #66
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: The Motorcycle Connections to the politics of wealth, war, and trade.

Be nice Buz. Maybe his parents are languishing in some mental health facility somewhere. I mean, look how crazy he makes people just by his random postings. Imagine living with him for decades.

Parents can only do so much. Some people are just plain born crazy.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:57 AM   #67
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Only standard truth

It's a "standard response" because it's true. Hard to get around the ol' truth, but some people still try. There is more than one way to make a profit with motorcycles? Name one besides selling them. You say it takes lots of cash to develop any vehicle. But it only takes that cash ONE TIME to develop a cruiser. Then you sell it to pay off the engineering and tooling. It takes the SAME CASH EVERY 2 TO 3 YEARS to have a sportbike program capable of selling because you have to totally redesign it. It's not a one time shot like cruisers are, so there goes the profits. Making copies of 2 year old Japanese motorcycles isn't going to get you profits. Ask Triumph. It isn't even getting the Japanese profits. What people are they going to market this American Sportbike to? It's market is the aging sportbike rider that prefers a slower Japanese imitation that is more expensive? After they sell to those 3 guys, what's next? If there was ANY chance in hell of making a profit, why isn't it being done? Because there simply is not a market for it. You can kid yourself into thinking a slower and more expensive bike will sell, but you ain't kidding me. The Japanese will bury any contender in this arena. Period. The best selling sportbike will ALWAYS be the fastest and cheapest, and I don't care what classification you want to put on the supposed buyers. Polaris and Harley are the only American manufacturers financially capable of making your pipe dream. You can already see how many they made, so I guess my "standard response" makes sense to them.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:40 AM   #68
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: Only standard truth

Let me start by saying that I'm not trying to start a flame, and I do respect your opinion, whether we agree or not.

But you have a sportbike thats was not the fastest or the cheepest bike around when you bought it. So your own actions say that the cheepest and fastest is not what everyone wants (thank goodness that we all don't want the same bike). It seems that not everyone want the latest greatest track weapon.

Cost of engineering and tooling is paid off over a long term, and no manufacturer of any motorized machine allows it product to stagnate over 3 years, there is always additional refinements to make (even vaunted HD does this).

As for profit Duc and Triumph seem to do ok. Are they selling as many as the Japs, no, but they compete. Its just HD that does not want to compete in this area, completely ignoring its racing heritage.

Is there intrest in American sport bikes, yes. When HD went back to the AMA, just about everyone at the races wanted them to sell a road going version. Would it have beat the Japanese in sales numbers, no; in performance, no. But as everyone knows the latest crotch rocket is not for everyone, just like the latest cruiser is not for everyone.

nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 07:06 AM   #69
sarnali
Founding Member

as long as BUSH AND THE NEO-FACIST REPULICAN WAR MONGERS DON'T RAISE TAXES TO PAY FOR IT !!!!!!!
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 07:24 AM   #70
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Only standard truth

Gotta disagree on this. The Japanese do not completely redesign their sportbikes every year. They do a major redesign every few years and then just tweak the bike each year to get the .001% increase in performance.

That said, they are probably just breaking even at best on the hot numbers. I'd bet that Suzuki makes more profit selling the Katana series sportbikes, since these bikes' engines have been fully amortized, than they do selling the GSXR series, even though they sell more GSXRs. The balls-to-the-wall sportbikes are changed too often to make any money on them.

If the GSXRs and CBR954s and such were sold to make enough profit to support themselves they'd cost a lot more. You're right about that.

So the sportbike mafia shouldn't complain too much about the cruiser buyers. If they ever get their wish, no more cruisers, they won't be happy having to spend $10K for a 600 or $15K for a literbike.