Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-05-2004, 12:11 PM   #41
nustar1
Registered Member

Default Re: American made motorcycle engine

Why would it be hard to control at low speed? Scooters don't seem to have a problem they are lighter but I 'd say that the Ridley has a low center of gravity also.

Happy New Year.
nustar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2004, 12:15 PM   #42
wrecks
Founding Member

Default Kook filter button

Whether or not you get a good political argument from him is irrelevant because this isn't the damn place for it. His post that started this fiasco can also be found in every other current news thread on the site. I'm not sure what his objective is, but I think I speak for everyone else here in saying that all he's doing is irritating the hell out of everyone.

A "kook filter" button on the forums might be nice, but you'd only be rewarding him with the attention he is so desperately crying out for.

Hell I get a kick out of the flame wars that get carried on in here, just as long as it has some sort of relevance to motorcycling.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 12:33 PM   #43
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: American made motorcycle engine

Hmmmm....that "engine" looks suspiciously like the one in my bug sprayer. a 16 hp Briggs & Stratton V twin.

A giant mini-bike?

Old 01-05-2004, 12:56 PM   #44
KPaulCook
Banned

Default The Motorcycle Connections to the politics of wealth, war, and trade.

Connection 1. Because of the huge deficit. The dollar will fall the yen will rise. Thus the price of Japanese motorcycles will rise. The price of Harley's for export will fall. But unlike Americans Japanese do not like Harley's.

Connection 2. The massive deficit is like a giant credit card bill. Who will pay it off? The next generation will. A unlike the Clinton years where more folks had disposal income for Harley's. In the future that won't happen. All that money will go to paying off the national debt.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 01:57 PM   #45
kill_van_kull
Registered Member

Default American made sportbike?

How would you MOFO's feel about buying an American made SPORT bike? One that would be a clean sheet design, not limited by traditional concepts of what an American bike "should" be (ie a V-Twin cruiser). A bike with modern engine and chassis technology, and not necessarily a V-Twin at all? A bike which could hold its own against the best from Japan and Europe. Do you think there would be significant interest in something like this if it existed and was priced right? Or would it be doomed for failure like Excelsior Henderson and the new Indian? I know Buell is trying, but to me they'll never get there without a modern engine design, which given their ownership by HD, seems pretty remote.

So what say you?
kill_van_kull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 02:06 PM   #46
wrecks
Founding Member

Default Re: The Motorcycle Connections to the politics of wealth, war, and trade.

I'm Canadian so it still makes no difference to me. I happen to agree with you that deficit budgets are a serious problem and people aren't nearly as pissed off about them as they should be, but I want to talk about motorcycles here. We haven't run deficits in Canada's federal budgets for the last few years but we are still nursing the hangover from the Trudeau era. Something like a full third of our tax revenue is paid out to debt servicing. And we haven't even made a dent in actual debt repayment.

There are probably lots of people here who happen to agree with your political views, but that doesn't mean they want to talk politics.

Jesus it's sucked me in.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 02:52 PM   #47
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default It won't happen

Good question. I'd say all you need to do is look no further than Triumph. They made a 600 sportbike for the last few years and it sold horribly. If it isn't the fastest, cheapest, and a race winner, it ain't gonna sell no matter what badge is on the tank. Perfectly good motorcycles have tanked because they didn't win the latest "shootout". The Japanese don't make a living making sportbikes. They are money losers all the way. They pay for those engineering exercises with dollars earned from bikes that they don't change for 10 years. There is no possible way you can completely redesign a motorcycle every 2 to 3 years and make money. It isn't happening. Ducati makes a living selling sportbikes and see what they cost and how many they sell? Not many. And they have been at it for a LONG time. Making a 120 horsepower American sportbike that costs 15 large or more would go down like a lead balloon. If there was a real market for it, they would be in the showrooms today.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:34 PM   #48
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Why bother

I don't get upset about kpaul because I know he's a fool trolling for arguments. Why else would you post political bull***** on a motorcycle web site?

He obviously lacks any kind of real world riding experiance so what can he contribute? MSF scores? I'm with seruzawa on that one, when I started riding they didn't have an MSF. My training was if I wrecked my dads bike he would know I rode it while he was at work. Thats a pretty good incentive to not fall down

Kpaul doesn't have a clue about any of that because he's never lived it. What else can he do but talk smack and hope someone answers? Kind of like blood in your stool, if you ignore it long enough it'll go away.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 03:35 PM   #49
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: It won't happen

Is this where I'm supposed to post the moveon.org link?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 03:37 PM   #50
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Try again

Harleys are very popular in Japan, if they're wealthy enoughh to own one they dress up like cops and ride them all over. as usual you're full of shiit
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote