Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 12-22-2003, 10:16 AM   #1
bigjames
Premium Member

Default Re: Finally Real Street Racing DVD

well. at least most of them are in cars. However, racing in the streets is stupid and bad for all motorsports. So this is just freaking great, more idiots filming themslves doing stupid crap that will end up making our lives a little more miserable in the long run.

BigJames
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2003, 10:35 AM   #2
F451
Founding Member

I totally agree that these stunts whether done well or not are best left to designated areas away from the general public as there is no longer any room nor tolerance for those who wantonly jeopardize others' lives. All these clowns have no idea of what a real accident is like and how it impacts not only them, but others.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 10:52 AM   #3
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

My buddies and I don't literally race each other, but if we reserved going fast soley for the trackdays we wouldn't own bikes. I'm going to get some fun use out of the hundreds or perhaps thousands of my tax dollars that went to pay for those roads.

Once you actually start going to racetracks you realize the inconvenience and expense of having to go there every time to get your speed jollies. Some common sense and forethought are enough to moderate the risks of fast street riding low enough to be palatable. The ones that end up dead or maimed were usually the ones that chose not to use that common sense.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 11:19 AM   #4
grubz916
Registered Member

I agree Abe, there's a time and a place for riding real fast on the street, safely i might add. Unfortunately the a__holes who do 80mph down 25 mph side streets, with occasionaly distatrous results are the reasons why our highway laws are written to address the lowest commen denominator.

On the plus side, be thankful we're not in Norway, where their freeway speed limit is 90 Kph and speeding fines are based on your earnings.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:33 AM   #5
imported_g_k
Registered Member

Considering the topic, and the too-common "That's what trackdays are for!!!!" responses, I'd have to say this is one of the most intelligent responses I've read in a long time. Most anyone logging on to this site probably speeds at least some of the time, and, as my MSF Experienced Rider instructor (ex CHP rider) said - "If you guys didn't want to speed at least some of the time, you wouldn't be riding motorcycles." I'm not justifying 80 in a 25, but I don't think I ride or drive on too many roads without exceeding the posted limit as a matter of course, and I think I'm in the majority (among bikers, anyway).

I heard Kurt Vonnegut Jr. on NPR once say something like "You've heard the mathematical proposition that if you had an infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of typewriters, sooner or later they'd produce all of the great books. The internet shows that this isn't true."

My thanks to Mr. Froman for (temporarily, at least) giving me reason to think Kurt was wrong.
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 11:59 AM   #6
julian
Founding Member

I couldn't open the trailer. Just got a mess.

Any suggestions on how to open a wmv file?

TIA

Julian
julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 12:57 PM   #7
caseyheilman
Founding Member

WMV= Windows Media Video (I think)

it should open with Windows media player.

first: are you using a Mac? if that is the case, you can forget about it.

second: right click and choose save as:

save it to your DESKTOP,

now try it and see if windows media player opens and tries to play it.

if something else opens and doesn't work you have your file associations f'ed up. you will need to hold down shift and right click the MOVIE FILE and go to OPEN WITH and pick the Windows Media Player

Simple!

caseyheilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 12:57 PM   #8
nomad76
Founding Member

If I'm not mistaken, you need windows media player to open a wmv. Are you using a mac or PC?
nomad76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 01:34 PM   #9
caseyheilman
Founding Member

Default Re: My roads=my rules.

I agree, racetracks are a pain. They make you pay money to ride on them, make you race prep your bike and then treat you like they don't want you there unless you're turning a really fast lap on the latest bike.

However,

The cop and judge will both say:

Your tax dollars don't entitle you to a damn thing. Especially breaking laws.

Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that you mentioned common sense and risk levels, this shows that at least you know something about safe motorcycling. But none of that matters once a cop sees his radar readout of 15mph over the limit. And the fact that it was Sunday morning and the road was out of the city and deserted doesn't matter. Or that you were riding at 6/10's pace. Or that you had made sure you got a good night's sleep the night before so you would be sharp. They don't give a S#IT about any of it. It only matters what the sign said and what the officer writes on the ticket. This is reality and it will only get worse from here. Because once you get one ticket for 80 in a 65; the next time you get stopped for 73 in a 65 you get another ticket because you've got a "history" and are "habitually speeding". After that, you're in deep trouble with the law and insurance and probably your wallet. Every time you come in contact with a cop or a DMV, they're making an ASSumption about you. And it ain't a good one.

Make sure this doesn't happen to you and your friends.

Live long and ride all you can.
caseyheilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 01:56 PM   #10
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Um, where's the shootout?

How come no one is clamoring for the shootout Sean promised for today?
Am I the only one who is too blind or too stupid to find it?</p>

Even if I'm not yet at Aunt Mildred's, I still want to read it.</p>
<blockquote>The 5-Way shootout that we promised you, is complete and ready to go. We've scheduled it to go live on Monday the 22nd, so you'll have something to read over the holidays, while you're stuck at Aunt Mildred's house playing babysitter to 312 kids and an ill tempered French Poodle.<blockquote>
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote