Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 12-09-2003, 03:10 AM   #31
sanitar
Founding Member

Default Re: Janklow Update - Convicted of Manslaughter

Collision at 70+ mph even with another car may have resulted in much more than just broken bones. I have seen more than few accident victims who sustained deadly injuries while sitting in the cage.

Yes, defensive driving is the only way to survive. But that does not take responsibility (both moral and legal)away from the other guy. Even if he weren't such an ass.
sanitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2003, 04:23 AM   #32
runner00
Founding Member

Well I'm surprised and shocked that justice was actually served but I would keep my eye on this one. It's ok to forgive but foolish to forget.

Keep your eyes open and be ready to express your

disgust at the appropriate time if need be. It ain't over till it's over.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 04:26 AM   #33
iamz
Founding Member

Default Re: But he still gets a pension....

I'm not sure on this, but when convicted of something as serious as 2nd degree manslaughter, I think he'll loose his government pension. At least I hope.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 04:45 AM   #34
seruzawa
The Toad

Better news yet!

Now I hope that Scott's family turn Jackloff into a pauper through a civil suit. Let him spend the rest of his life palling around with O.J.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:10 AM   #35
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Get real

Come on now, it might not have been his fault that there was a motorcyclist at the intersection instead of a car but the fact is he blew a stop sign at 70 mph

Defensive driving is fine but in this case the blame lies totaly with Janklow.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 05:59 AM   #36
SRMark
Founding Member

Some how seeing someone convicted of manslaughter does not warm my heart. It is tragic. He will appeal and that will take more tax dollars. The biker is still dead. Nothing but bad news and sadness everywhere you look. Justice is not always a pretty thing. I pity Janklow's family and friends. And, no, I don't pity him.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 05:59 AM   #37
nokneedragin
Founding Member

I'll wait for the sentencing, but at least he's been found guilty. Let's hope S.D. sentencing allows the victims family to testify, that should goose the judge to hit him with a healthier sentence.

The worst part is that in 5 years some bone head repub junior state senator is going to have this stretch of road renamed the Janklow expressway "honoring a wounderfull human being that served the people of S.D. so well, and with out regards to his own intrest" or some such $hit.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 06:25 AM   #38
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Hadn't eaten for 18 hours.

That's a hoot. By the looks of his triple chin and gross flamonda I'll wager he hasn't missed a meal in 18 years. 18 hours?, more like 18 seconds. In fact he was probably reaching for, while salivating over a half eaten box of Krispy Kremes that were perched on his morbidly obese belly. Had that self righteous wind bag been at all remorseful at anytime during this ordeal he wouldn't have every biker on this earth ready to lynch him.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 07:03 AM   #39
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Good thinking VR1000racer

It was all fault of Clinton. They both should have resigned obviously. One whacked a biker and one stained an otherwise nice dress.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 10:17 AM   #40
EbonFlame
Founding Member

Umm, yeah, what about that...

even someone who appears as reckless, arrogant, and guilty as Mr. Janklow deserves a fair trial and a lawyer to represent him. He's allowed (and I think, should be) to present any defense he feels appropriate. Some, naturally, are aforementioned BS, and, as we have seen, the jury didn't buy a word of it. To me, I have no problem with the part of the legal system which goes something like "crime commited + BS defense = guilty, guilty, guilty."

My problem is more with the centuries-old trial system attempting to deal with a modern mass media culture. This creates some of the problems we've seen with jury selection, 'fair trials,' and the thousands of people like us, who are so willing to convict (or acquit) people like OJ, Janklow, and Kobe Bryant upon hearing a simple brief. One AP article does not a verdict make, says I.

I'm particularly distressed by the need to find jurors who have 'lived under rocks' for the six months or so betewen the alleged incidents and the trials... these aren't the people I'd like in a jury box, were I wrongly accused of a crime. So, while I'm instinctually glad that Janklow was guilty, I confess I'm not really in a position to know what's REALLY happened or what to do, and I live thousands of miles away. All I can say is that I feel sincerly sympathetic for the family of Mr. Scott. Godspeed.
EbonFlame is offline   Reply With Quote