Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   Janklow Update - Convicted of Manslaughter (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/2255-janklow-update-convicted-manslaughter.html)

F451 12-08-2003 07:17 PM

It Not Over 'til It's Over

I want to jump and down and have somewhat BUT until this POS is sentenced I'll reserve my final hoorays. We still need to keep the heat on until the final word has come down and see whether he appeals and you all know this massive PSO will do just that.

Now is not the time to truly celebrate. Now is the time to put the pedal to the metal and write until the cows come home. Hopefully, none of those cows will get hit by Jank-n-off while he speeds through yet another intersection.

KPaulCook 12-08-2003 08:18 PM

Faith restored

Just when you think the world is f_cked, everyday citizens rise to the occasion. The jury showed some guts. Unforntuately, a judge will sentence him. I bet he gets 5 years and is out in 2 with good behavior.

westcork 12-09-2003 01:18 AM

U.S. Rep Janklow Resigns After Manslaughter Conviction

naco_traficante 12-09-2003 02:25 AM

Re: Janklow Update - Convicted of Manslaughter

If he gets off with just doing community service, I hope he will have to do it in Sturgis.

pplassm 12-09-2003 02:29 AM

But he still gets a pension....

He may have resigned, and he may go to jail, but the taxpayers will be paying his pension for the rest of his life.

Redfury 12-09-2003 02:30 AM

But he was convicted. The diabetes defense may be used to make his sentence light as well

Closet_Bad_Ass 12-09-2003 03:01 AM

At first I was a little hesitant to assign blame to Janklow. It's not his fault that it was a motorcycle that was in the intersection at the same time he was. If it were a car, there would be some broken bones and a lot of twisted metal. He gets sued. End of story. While it wasn't the motorcyclists fault that he was t-boned , he should have been riding a bit more defensively through the intersection. I've seen pictures of the intersection. While they were only pictures, I think that he probably could have seen Janklow coming...if he was looking. Riding bikes is a risk we all take...and we know it.

However, Janklow is such an ass and has handeled the whole thing so tastlessly, I'm more than thrilled to see him convicted. I'm skeptical that he'll do jail time though.

Be careful out there and make sure you aren't next.

grubz916 12-09-2003 03:14 AM

I agree, it's best to assume everyone else on the road is an idiot and act appropriatly. However, even if Mr. Scott did the above (we don't know) , I don't think he could evasive action against a 71 mph cadillac running a stop sign. Not enought time to react, me thinks.

Grubz out

sr412 12-09-2003 04:01 AM

What an arrogant, egotistical, "holier than thou", lying *******. We can only hope that he gets significant prison time like the rest of us would. Hopefully some "Bubba" in prison will broadside (rear end?) Janklow in the shower at 70 mph!. We are all lucky this trial took place in SD and not CA. How about a new law that says losing defense attorneys have to serve time with their clients? - might put an end to the BS defenses like this one.

VR1000racer 12-09-2003 04:06 AM

Hey guys, let's everyone keep in mind that while we are celebrating a verdict of guilty by the jury, that a man has died an untimely death at the hand of another, and another's life is ending in a terrible way, even though it was his own doing.

It does seem that the people of SD have their heads screwed on straight, but don't expect Janklow to serve any unusual sentence, as the judge will have to follow sentencing guidelines as well as precedence of those convicted of manslaughter charges in prior cases. these sentences are usually light, and I would be supprised to see janklow receive more than about 36 months total sentence.

I am suprised to see Janklow resign effective on his sentencing date. Nixon did the same thing. both were Republicans.

Rostenkowski (Dem) in IL was convicted and had to be removed by the Senate, and was then pardoned by Clinton. Clinton Lied to the country under oath, has been disbarred by the Arkansas Bar Assoc. (for 5 years) and still justified it.

I guess what I am saying is that 2 lives are over, and it disapoints me that politicians whom spend so much of their lives touting resposibility for one's actions would mount a defence based on lack of accountability for his own actions. (of not eating)

In a way, there can be no "justice" as Mr. Scott is dead, and his family can never get him back, and Janklow was convicted, but obviously feels that he was not "resposible", as apparently does Daschel, since he is blaming the "accident" on his not eating, rather than due to the fact that he felt that stop signs and motor vehicle laws are for "Others" and not himself.

I think the only real way to have any kind of justice was to have Janklow go to the family and claim responsibility, and then throw himself to the mercy of the courts without defence of action. that would have been justice served.

As it is, Janklow still does not accept responsibility for what he has done. He needs to spend the next ten years telling people that if you speed, drive wrecklessly, or do stupid things, stand by to pay.

Sorry for rambling on. One dead biker, one life wasted on personal irresponsibility. I just can't bring myself to feel really good that the sentence was "justice served"..........

Mr. Scott, rest well my friend, and Godspeed