Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 12-08-2003, 02:37 AM   #51
edward44
Founding Member

Default Re: Press Release That Never Was

"....yet to see anything that can be characterized as right wing nut"

Well, thats because you have been programed to see fair and balanced when you see right wing nuttiness.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2003, 05:02 AM   #52
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Orwell

Hate crimes legislation anyone?

Orwell couldn't have come up with a better example.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:05 AM   #53
seruzawa
The Toad

Please. More posts. I've seldom laughed so hard.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:55 AM   #54
seruzawa
The Toad

Do you know any fundamentalists? I've got a couple in my family and while I don't subscribe to their beliefs I'd never describe them a dreary. They are quite enthusiatic. Certainly they are having fun at what they do.

If you want dreary check out the democrats who are running for president. Or the sunday morning political shows. Or listen to a Lutheran sermon. The Baptists are a hoot compared to all of them.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:20 AM   #55
wrecks
Founding Member

Default Re: overlooked

Canada came into its own in WW1.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 07:04 AM   #56
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Point Taken.

I watch a lot of CBC i.e. I love Hockey. It seems Canadians have an inferiority complex. Canadians should not compare themselves with the U.S. so much. Canadians have a beautiful country. The cities are clean and safe a least Vancouver is compared to Seattle (and Seattle is probably the cleanest U.S. city). Canada should just do its own thing f_ck Bush and the U.S. Be proud you are Canadian. P.S. Your Olympic hockey players both male and female have a lot of class.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 07:20 AM   #57
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: You make a good point, no Vodoo Economics in Canada

The Queen. Ain't she a beaut! No wonder Charles is such a prince.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 08:51 AM   #58
jaypuck
Founding Member

Default Re: Quick ... hide the high-quality writing !

I would normally run out and immediately pick up any book or other literatrure recommended by a fellow motorcyclist except, in this instance, the elitist viewpoint in which it is presented makes me want to avoid touching this stuff for fear of thinking less of others for the mere fact that they haven't heard of something I have.

thank you for enlightening me and reminding me of the type of person I *never* want to become.
jaypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:42 AM   #59
arlington
Founding Member

Default Plagiarism?

At least the general idea . . .

===

Originally written by the staff of The Onion®

Vowels to Bosnia

ask and you shall receiveÂ…

Cities of Sjlbvdnzv, Grzny to Be First Recipients

Before an emergency joint session of Congress yesterday, President Clinton announced US plans to deploy over 75,000 vowels to the war-torn region of Bosnia. The deployment, the largest of its kind in American history, will provide the region with the critically needed letters A,E,I,O,U, and Y, and is hoped to render countless Bosnian words more pronounceable.

"For six years, we have stood by while names like Ygrjvslhv and Tzlynhr and Glrm have been horribly butchered by millions around the world," Clinton said. "Today, the United States must finally stand up and say 'Enough.' It is time the people of Bosnia finally had some vowels in their incomprehensible words. The US is proud to lead the crusade in this noble endeavor."

The deployment, dubbed Operation Vowel Storm by the State Department, is set for early next week, with the Adriatic port cities of Sjlbvdnzv and Grzny slated to be the first recipients. Two C-130 transport planes, each carrying more than 500 24-count boxes of "E's," will fly from Andrews Air Force Base across the Atlantic and airdrop the letters over the cities.

Citizens of Grzny and Sjlbvdnzv eagerly await the arrival of the vowels. "My God, I do not think we can last another day," Trszg Grzdnjkln, 44, said. "I have six children and none of them has a name that is understandable to me or to anyone else. Mr. Clinton, please send my poor, wretched family just one 'E.' Please."

Said Sjlbvdnzv resident Grg Hmphrs, 67: "With just a few key letters, I could be George Humphries. This is my dream."

If the initial airlift is successful, Clinton said the United States will go ahead with full-scale vowel deployment, with C-130's airdropping thousands more letters over every area of Bosnia. Other nations are expected to pitch in as well, including 10,000 British "A's" and 6,500 Canadian "U's." Japan, rich in A's and O's, was asked to participate, but declined.

"With these valuable letters, the people of war-ravaged Bosnia will be able to make some terrific new words," Clinton said. "It should be very exciting for them, and much easier for us to read their maps."

Linguists praise the US's decision to send the vowels. For decades they have struggled with the hard consonants and difficult pronunciation of most Slavic words. "Vowels are crucial to construction of all language," Baylor University linguist Noam Frankel said. "Without them, it would be difficult to utter a single word, much less organize a coherent sentence. Please, just don't get me started on the moon-man languages they use in those Eastern European countries."

According to Frankel, once the Bosnians have vowels, they will be able to construct such valuable sentences as: "The potatoes are ready"; "I believe it will rain"; and "All my children are dead from the war" [And "Oh my God, there's an axe in my head."]

The airdrop represents the largest deployment of any letter to a foreign country since 1984. During the summer of that year, the US shipped 92,000 consonants to Ethiopia, providing cities like Ouaouoaua, Eaoiiuae, and Aao with vital, lifegiving supplies of L's, S's and T's. The consonant-relief effort failed, however, when vast quantities of the letters were intercepted and hoarded by violent, gun-toting warlords.

arlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:53 AM   #60
johnnyb
Founding Member

Hey kids, let's not tar everybody with the same brush. Boehm's the one to the right of Attila the Hun (a reaction, I like to think, to the couple of lefty references I interjected from time to time) who can no longer extrude an issue of Motorcyclist without his ignorance leaching into the product. CW's policy seems to be to leave politics out of the mix entirely. In fact I've known most of those guys for years without knowing what their politics even are, come to think of it...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote