Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 12-04-2003, 05:50 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Biker-killing Congressman's trial is underway

The media isn't going to go after Jackloff too hard. As a republicrat Jackloff has been a card-carrying member of the staus quo ante. Politicians mainly come under severe media attack when they pose some sort of threat to the status quo or when they threaten the personal interests of the owners of the media outlet. Politicians like Jackloff would be accepted in either major criminal extortion racket... er I mean major political party.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2003, 06:33 AM   #12
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Ways to get this story on the front page.

1. Gray pony tailed brotherhood (Harley) riders threaten a Strugis boycott if Janklow gets special treatment. Demand Justice

2. Write the AMA.

3. Write letters of editor to SD newspapers and to SD politicians. Let em know how you feel.

If you aren't doing one of the above you should be. The killed rider served his country in Vietnam, he deserves justice.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 06:37 AM   #13
runner00
Founding Member

Loud pipes have been known to cause low blood sugar attacks in people within hearing distance.

Sending these people into a ragefull dreamstate

completely unaware of any killing type behavior.

The only known solution is for bikers with loud pipes to distribute candy bars on the route they will be taking prior to any actually riding. So it's the riders own fault for causing reckless bill's blood sugar to drop. Is it ok to kill women and children too if your blood sugar is low or just bikers ???
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 07:41 AM   #14
Tigercub
Founding Member

I'm preparing myself for hearing that the jury was persuaded by this no Twinky low blood-sugar defense. He'll have a powerful team behind him.

It's up to the prosecution to convince the jury that years of reckless driving were his perogative and it finally caught with him. I won't be surprised if the prosecution treads lightly in this case to save their own ass in the future - caught between serving the people and self preservation.

"We did the best job we could. We were shocked that the jury voted in his favor!"
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 07:58 AM   #15
Eric
Founding Member

Default Re: Ways to get this story on the front page.

And what is the desired outcome of a boycott? For a boycott to be successful, you have to be able to do a few things:

1) Have a clearly defined outcome that the targeted parties can affect.

2) Have a readily identifiable way of targeting those parties.

3) Have an effective means of arranging the boycott.

In this case, the third one is easy, while the I am not sure what the other two would accomplish. Are you calling for a boycott as punishment? That accomplishes little. A boycott will not impact the jury (nor should it).

Examples of effective boycotts have all of these elements. When the NAACP targeted South Carolina, they had a clear outcome (get rid of the Confederate Flag on the Statehouse) that the targeted parties (state legislators and governor) could achieve, a way to target those people (tourist and conference boycotts that would impact tax revenue in a dramatic way -- the NCAA was going to move a regional) and parties willing to act (see NCAA and other major organizations that were relocating conferences).

The same thing with the recent effort in Austin to target the construction companies building a planned parenthood building. Though I disagreed with the outcome, that was a prime example of effective outcome and target identification as well as finding people with a willingness to act.

Again, what is the desired outcome here? Find Janklow guilty? I certainly hope he is found guilty, but I don't see how a boycott impacts that. If he is found not guilty, there is little the state could do to punish him legally. The only hope then is a lawsuit which, again, a boycott would not impact. The only other desired outcome then is to not re-elect him. You could have some argument for that. Otherwise, the boycott is simply punitive to the people of South Dakota for being represented by a jury pool that let's him off (if that is the outcome).
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:29 AM   #16
Shabbir
Founding Member

Default Focus on a guilty verdict

The best thing to do is focusing on getting a guilty verdict for his felony manslaughter, either as a plea or as a jury decision. That will automatically trigger an Ethics committee hearing in the House. At that point it's likely he'll be pressured to resign by his fellow Republicans and his state delegation.

Shabbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:10 AM   #17
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Yes this Boycott has clear goals and objectives

Here is goals of the threat of a boycott:

1. Raise the visibility of this case.

2. Show South Dakota that Motoryclists should be treated fairly when they are the victims of a public figures. i.e. there are reprucussions when a state gives public figures priviledge not accorded the average Joe.

3. Remind South Dakota that they are accountable to the rest of the country for their actions i.e. electing folks who break the laws and victimize the less powerful.

I think your example of South Carolina is a good one. I think that the above three objects are clear and understandable targets.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:21 AM   #18
motonut_1
Founding Member

If you want to keep up with the trial, the Mpls. StarTribune has been posting daily updates.

www.startribune.com

No registration required. The StarTribune is considered a "liberal" newpaper but so far their reporting has been objective.

motonut_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:21 AM   #19
bigjames
Premium Member

I'm diabetic, I can tell you that this defence is wrong. Any of us who have had diabetes for a while know when a low blood sugar event is hitting. You sure as hell don't keep hauling ass across the countryside when there is someone else there to drive! A guy here in Georgia did have a low blood sugar crash. He lost control opf a delivery truck and killed 3 generations of a family (Grandmother, Mom, kid). He is in jail because he should have known better!

Also don't know to many (live) diabetics who drink a REAL coke and eat a candy bar to fix a monor blood sugar crash after not eating all day. That would be one hell of a roller coaster ride. In the time they did the DUI check the sugar should have crashed again, unless he ate something else. Wait, DUI test, hmmmm, wonder what that blood sugar reading was after that coke?

What a crock.

no jail time = no Sturgis for me

and I was looking forward to it....

BigJames
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:22 AM   #20
bigjames
Premium Member

Default By the way....

CNN is covering this on their web page and TV.
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote