Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 12-02-2003, 06:04 AM   #11
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: Another (BAD) Motorcycle Movie

Or Clint Eastwood and Sandra Locke in the Gauntlet. Two up, on a rigid chopper, on dirt, being chased by a helicopter and no CGI. It's just... Damn!
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2003, 06:15 AM   #12
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Aww, come on, it might not be to bad. It's Road Rash on the big screen

While Ice Cube is no Joe Namath the honeys in this one more than make up for the lack of the leading sex kitten of any age, Ann-Margaret. C. C. Rider was fan-tas-tic.

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 06:20 AM   #13
waepoint
Founding Member

I can accept a little cinematic BS in the name of entertainment, but what's really sad is how the moviemakers go only for ignorant thrills that turn off part of the core audience who wants to see bad-ass hooliganism on the big screen.

In contrast to Biker Boyz and Torque, look at the Ducati chase in Matrix Reloaded. Sure, it's out there, but it captured enough real (looking) motorcycle physics to make my jaw drop. Of course, having Carrie-Anne Moss straddling a 998 didn't hurt, either. Yummy.
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 06:34 AM   #14
travisyoung
Founding Member

To me it sounded like the Matrix used a CB450 instead of the 998 for sound effects....
travisyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 06:53 AM   #15
sarnali
Founding Member

Clint Eastwood chasing the doper guy around central park on his Bonnie in Coogans Bluff was pretty cool

The best biker cheese of all time was Mad Max and Road Warrior
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 07:30 AM   #16
tumbler
Founding Member

Or maybe when Jean-Claude Van Damme stops the back wheel of his Bonnie with his bare hand in Nowhere To Run. Extra cheese factor because he could have pulled his coat sleeve over his hand instead of using his bare skin.
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 07:33 AM   #17
tumbler
Founding Member

Doesn't the 998 in the movie put down enough torque to snap the chains holding it on the trailer?
Old 12-02-2003, 07:33 AM   #18
tumbler
Founding Member

Or maybe when Jean-Claude Van Damme stops the back wheel of his Bonnie with his bare hand in Nowhere To Run. Extra cheese factor because he could have pulled his coat sleeve over his hand instead of using his bare skin.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:37 AM   #19
kawazuki
Founding Member

I was mostly disappointed with that one because it showed a Ducati unable to outrun a goddamn Ford Crown Victoria. And hey, at least with that one you know already that it's not taking place under the constraints of the laws of physics, but rather in a big computer with the cheat codes turned on.

The 180 stoppie up a tree on a sportbike in the dirt was just f$cking stupid. And that's just what they put in the preview! I can only imagine how much worse a whole 1.5 hours of this is going to be.

I agree. There are enough people out there who can actually do things that look impossible, that I'd really rather see an action movie that features a plot that happens to involve some of that.

Here's a possible (more) realistic scenario... Our HERO is on his gsxr-1000 chasing the BAD GUY, who has kidnapped the LOVE INTEREST. Racing across the Bay Bridge, HERO gets stuck behind some traffic. He pulls his gun but cannot get a clear shot around the cars in front of him. He hauls a massive wheelie, stands up on the pegs, and fires left handed over the tops of the cars, taking out the rear tire of BAD GUY's car.

Now, thoroughly improbable, sure. But a good stuntrider could hoist a wheelie, find the balance point (thus not needing to keep accelerating massively into the back of the cars in front of him) stand up, and do all of it one handed, to boot. (They do one handed stoppies, right?) Now, I'm not a professional screenwriter, but I only spent 2 minutes coming up with that scenario above, too. Given a bit more time, I'm sure I could find a sufficient number of more probable scenarios which allow the protagonists and adversaries to use stunt riding to their advantage, on top of a realistic, semi-layered plot.

Hrmmm. Maybe that is what my next movie should be about.

-Kawazuki, occasional executive producer
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 07:40 AM   #20
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Hey Harley guys notice something

All these movies feature sportbikes. Gen X an Yers prefer sportbikes. No ugly cruisers.

Cruisers going out of style

KPaul

Motorcycle Prophet

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote