Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-18-2003, 12:54 AM   #41
gcheckal
Founding Member

Default Re: CBR1100 Fast and dangerious

Hello

Harsh and effective are not the same. Properly tuned the XX absorbs the most irritating freeway expansion joints as if they were not there. It will still bottom on driveway ramps, railroad tracks, and potholes. I unweight for that sort of jolt- let the bike move under me. I used to ride the freeways motocross on an FZ1, before that a BMW, before thatÂ…

On a properly tuned blackbird I can sit on occasion. I don't like to. I avoid freeways and straight roads as much as I can. I'd rather be crawling all over the tank, keeping my contact patch large. I've ridden the length of the California Costal Highway, Happy Camp up on 96 to Santa Barbara in two days. That is roughly a thousand miles of tight twisty roads. I would have turned around and did it the other way, but work got in the way. The big bird doesnÂ’t tire me- it exhilarates.

Happy trails
gcheckal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2003, 06:37 AM   #42
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: MO bends to no one's will

Callling a bike dangerous is not politics its slander. Wonder how Honda likes it when they find out.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 09:58 AM   #43
gcheckal
Founding Member

Dogstar-

Start with a damper. KawasakiÂ’s homologation 600 has one. It mounts to the frame and lower triple. The 636 does not have the necessary bosses to mount the 600 part. DonÂ’t let it trouble you. Many hot-dogs remove the stock piece from the 600 anyway, then mount adjustable aftermarket dampers. For out and out strength go with Ohlins, for creative engineering Hyperpro designs mounts where no one else will tread. Ohlins dampers will fit on Hyperpro mounts- all you need is the right size damper body and clamp. See www.ohlines.com for specs. They are hidden away in the online ownerÂ’s manual section. You might get lucky and find a good one on eBay. You can buy just the mount from Hyperpro. If you get one thatÂ’s blown out, most can be rebuilt in a pressure chamber, or can be sent home to the factory- a hundred bucks plus freight for a factory rebuild on a Hyperpro. I donÂ’t know the prices on the others. I run Ohlins, and have yet to require that customer to factory direct service. I hear that ScottÂ’s is very reasonable to service, especially important given its dirt bike market share.

happy trails
Old 11-18-2003, 03:32 PM   #44
CBR1100LAXX
Founding Member

Yes, those Ohlins are pricey. Too rich for my blood.
CBR1100LAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 05:47 PM   #45
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: CBR1100 Fast, but Dangerous???

In my opinion, bikes like the CBR1100 are for bragging rights, not for performance. The only option is to see them as straight line bikes or sport tourers. For that they have a definite purpose and plenty of suspension. They are simply too heavy to equip with all of the fancy componentry. You can't fix dry weight.

I agree with several others who have commented. If you want something able to go stupid fast and handle well, you will get all you can handle on a modern 600 or, even better, a GSXR-750. The Gixxer has excellent suspension and can go way faster than you should ever ride on public streets. If you want something for the track, start with one of the current crop of liter bikes and ride it until you are better than the bike's stock suspension. Then if you spend a bunch of bucks on suspension changes, you will still find a better rider on an R-6 eating your lunch on the track, unless you are in the same league as say, Ben Bostrom.

On the street, anything much over 100 hp is just window dressing for people who either don't know what they are doing or have psychological shortcomings. Invest in rider training, not upgrades that you aren't able to use. Go to one of the many excellent schools. Ride against a Freddie Spenser or a Kevin Schwantz and find out just how much better than you these retired racers still are.

Is the Honda dangerous? Only if it has a severe problem with the most unpredictable part of the equation, the rider.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 07:00 PM   #46
gcheckal
Founding Member

I'll be the first to admit that love is blind.

Happy trails.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:59 AM   #47
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: MO bends to no one's will

I'm starting to agree with you since they corrected the most obvious spelling problems. It really is a mistake on MO's part to put this post on here and seemingly support it (even though they may not). When the TL1000S spit some Brit off during its intro, the press of course reported it, giving the bike a very bad reputation. Although it sold OK, I bet more than a few sales were lost because of bad press (maybe deserved in that case).

However, the Honda Blackbird has had no such history of killing motojournalists that I am aware of. Here's a situation for you:

I am riding down an unknown piece of pavement at a somewhat elevated pace because weather is clear and I can see around each corner. Let's say that I'm going 70 mph around curves with signs saying 35 mph...not too unreasonable for most of us. In the middle of the corner is some really choppy pavement that upsets the cheap suspension on my bike. I am spit off the bike and cut in half by a farmer's barbed wire fence. The bike I'm on is an SV650.

I suppose the title for a new posting should be "SV650 slow, but dangerious". Regardless of power, cheap suspension can make a bike difficult to ride. I can reach just as high of a cornering speed on a weak bike as I can on a powerful one, so what's the difference?
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 03:23 PM   #48
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Are budget deficits bad?

"Are deficits bad?

Persistently large deficits can be bad for the economy since they can lead to higher long-term interest rates and can depress national savings. In addition, large debt amounts can lead the economy down an unsustainable path. Each of these effects could harm the economy. Furthermore, deficits simply push off the burden to future generations. This is particularly troubling with the coming retirement of the baby boomer generation.

However, deficits do allow the government to finance vital national priorities, and can buffer the effects of economic fluctuations. The current level of deficits will hopefully prove to be, in OMB director BoltenÂ’s words, "manageable." However, the persistence and the magnitude of the deficits, especially considering current and future needs that are going unmet, as well as the unprecedented dive from surplus to deficits, are a sign that the current administration is not acting in a responsible manner on tax and budget issues" see attached article for more.

Bush is evil
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote