Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-17-2003, 01:43 PM   #31
ebass
Founding Member

Default MO bends to no one's will

We won't sell out to anyone for anything. That's what makes us MO. Some love us for it, some hate us. We're not politicians.

ebass is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2003, 02:35 PM   #32
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: I'd recommend a 10KT Nuclear Device....

Not my comic books. You know I was always fond of Spiderman i.e. the antisocial mifit.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 03:02 PM   #33
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: cry baby

do you think Honda cares what you think kpaul?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 03:08 PM   #34
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: CBR1100 Fast and dangerious

Jeez, Ser. where have you been?

Everyone knows you have to yard out all stock suspension, exhaust, ignition and carburation componants on a brand new bike before it's worth riding around the block.

How can you possibley be able to keep up with the cool kids on a stocker?,,,, Sheeesh
Old 11-17-2003, 03:15 PM   #35
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: This article is either goofball B.S. or slander

If you want to see how fair and impartial Honda is Kpaul, check out mo'sickle daily for how Honda is treating Rossi since he went to Yamaha apparently reciprical agreements and practices only apply when it's to Honda's benifit.

Soicciro must be spinning in his grave.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:30 PM   #36
CBR1100LAXX
Founding Member

Race Tech suspension for the XX will cost you $640 parts and labor - not $2000. For the most part I feel the stock suspension works pretty well except it is a bit harsh over sharp edged bumps that I frequently find on choppy So Cal freeways. I have found it to work quite well in the canyons and on Palomar Mt South Grade. The XX is a street bike, not a track bike and I think that it is a bit unrealistic to expect "race bike" perfomance from a street bike. I do concour that slip-ons, power commander, dropping down a tooth in front are all good mods that make the XX a lot of fun on the street. And yes, I'm planning on doing the Race Tech suspension soon, but not because the XX is "dangerous" in stock form. Sportbikes are not dangerous, crashing is. "Eating Ducati's for breakfast two-up"sounds a lot more dangerous to me.

CBR1100LAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 05:24 PM   #37
cadbury
Registered Member

Well I have done the sort of upgrades that George refers to on two of my bikes, a VFR750 that I fitted Gold Valves and a Fox shock to, and my current RF900 that now has Gold Valves and RT springs plus an Ohlins shock. Yes they handle a little better but I don't really believe that they are any safer. I have noticed improvements in comfort (less jarring) and tyre wear on the 900, and it is a little more stable on bumpy roads, but the limiting factor is still ME!

Having ridden bikes since 1981, I can vouch for the major improvements that have taken place in frame stiffness, tyre traction, brake performance and suspension action, even the stock stuff.
cadbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:17 AM   #38
gcheckal
Founding Member

Default Re: CBR1100 Fast and dangerous

I love the CBR1100XX above all others. My wife chides me for kissing it goodnight. But letÂ’s not ignore the elephant in the living room.

There are two suspension adjustments possible on the CBR1100XX, 1999 thru 2003. I donÂ’t know if the carbureted years are any different. The ownerÂ’s manual has directions for adjusting rear rebound dampening but makes no mention of the second; rear spring preload.

To adjust the stock shock preload, dismantle half the left rear quarter of the bike, get a really long punch, and go to work. It is easier and more effective to install an aftermarket dogbone; the suspension link that sets ride height.

Adjusting the rebound damping might better be called adjusting the squat at speed rate. Adjusting only rear shock rebound will make the tail pump down; rebound oil return is choked while compression damping get less effective as the shock heats up. This imbalance exacerbates control problems. The front tire gets progressively less traction as it is un-weighted; more work is required of an already fading shock- a vicious cycle.

Honda is not out to get anybody. They make a great line of motorcycles, and have done more to enhance the sport, and pastime, than any other entity. They are a business responding to the market place. ItÂ’s you and me who vote in the products with our purchases.

All this fuss, "A Vicious Cycle"- that would have made a better title.

gcheckal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:25 AM   #39
gcheckal
Founding Member

Don't forget the shock. Two grand is about right installed.

My estimate is for a balanced bike- Ohlins in the back and Race-Tech up front.

You might be able to shave a few bucks of the price of the shock- if it falls off a truck.

Happy trails
Old 11-18-2003, 12:32 AM   #40
gcheckal
Founding Member

Default Re: This article is either goofball B.S. or slander

You got me- over confident of my spelling abilities. You might feel better, but the stock suspension is still inadequate.