Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-17-2003, 07:26 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: CBR1100 Fast and dangerious

You are absolutely correct. There may better suspension components available, but to call the stock components on a Blackbird crappy is ridiculous.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2003, 07:42 AM   #22
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: This article is either goofball B.S. or slander

"As I understand it, MO isn't really in too good of a situation with Honda. You sending them things like this won't change that for the better, so please try not to fly off the handle too quickly." And this little article is going to help. I am not flying off the handle. This is wrong and I am saying something about it.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 08:19 AM   #23
Mr_Bigglesworth
Founding Member

I looked at that and decided he meant, "164 crank bhp (stock). (But) with careful tuning, (you can get it up to) 160 where the rubber meets the road."

Normal drivetrain loss is 8 - 10%, so 160 crank might make 144 - 147 rear wheel hp.
Mr_Bigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 08:30 AM   #24
Mr_Bigglesworth
Founding Member

As a Honda dealer, I'd agree with the writer that the factories cut corners on the suspension, and that you will see tangible benefits from *some* improvements. He didn't say, but I suspect that he uses the loaner bikes to upsell, because it would be a distinct difference - not a bad idea and I might start doing that myself. I don't know about going all the way to Ohlins, but the stock rear shock often is unmodifiable and it's easier to replace than rebuild. The biggest issue is with the spring rates, because generally they're set up for cushy ride, 160-180 lb single rider. Heavier or lighter riders or folks riding two up will see a benefit from a spring change. But it's true that you won't be able to feel the difference in revalving unless you're on the track.
Mr_Bigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 08:54 AM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Can I borrow the snubby?

Kook is stalking me again.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 09:54 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

Default I'd recommend a 10KT Nuclear Device....

But since they are a bit difficult to import I'd suggest an extra large can of Raid Ant and Roach Spray.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:09 AM   #27
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: I'd recommend a 10KT Nuclear Device....

Maybe I'll just have his mom take away his comic books.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:12 AM   #28
gcheckal
Founding Member

There are many really good "cheap tricks" that improve the XX's suspension. For example the early CBR900RR rear shock can be revalved and resprung for about $400 plus the price of the shock circa $50. Trouble is, this kind fix requires do it your self know-how and tools- since it is impossible to warranty.

Use google and find the cbr1100xx owners groups, the English language groups are mostly UK. There are some good setup tips, and some very lame articles about fitting an oilier, GPS, or fly swatter to be had. Happy trails

gcheckal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:19 AM   #29
gcheckal
Founding Member

Your loss figures are generious.

Carefull tuning is a euphanism for improving airflow thru the engine. Air box, velocity stacks, headers and "pack" style exhaust sliencers, and rejetting /or remapping to 12.5 feul/air across the RPM/load range. This likely produces 180-185 at the crank. I don't know for certain. we don't have a straight engine dyno.
gcheckal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 12:34 PM   #30
ebass
Founding Member

Oh c'mon KPaul. You of all people should know that if it is nothing else, MO is a forum for anyone (even you) to offer their opinion on anything they choose, so long as it is voiced as an opinion and not an assertion of fact.

You, the MO reader, are generally bright enough to fight your own battles and draw your own conclusions and we give you that respect.

That having been said, Honda loves hearing from our readers!

ebass is offline   Reply With Quote