Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 01-08-2001, 09:52 AM   #51
Bladerunner
Founding Member

Default Re: Value Bike Feedback

You guys really missed the boat on this or used the wrong title. A Value Bike Shootout should be cheap bikes. Right at the begining when you limit yourself to $6000, you've made a mistake. Try $4500 or limit the CCs to 600 or 650 but that still doesn't stop price. If this were truely a comparison of value bikes, best bike for the least money, then where is the Ninja 250? $3000 isn't value? Please!

Also, did you happen to notice that your own rankings basically show that if you pay more money you get more? The last place bike was the cheapest and the first place bike was the most expensive! All you really proved was that the Night Hawk is overpriced by a few hundred if it truely finished below the Harley and the V-Star.

Another personal conclusion I came up with is, don't have a taste test between chocolate cake and pizza, which is what you did in escence. There is no comparison between a Harley 883 and a Buell Blast! The Blast should not be in the comparison. The value bike range is $3000 to $4500 maybe. The bikes you really were comparing were in the $4500 to $6000 range and that two might not be a proper range.

If this is the type of articles I can expect in the future you better not try to charge a subscription price or you will go under!
Bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2001, 04:57 PM   #52
SamBlob
Founding Member

Default Re: History, engines...

You want history? Let's see:

Nighthawk 750: An evolution of the original superbike, the CB750 K0

ZR-7: Uses a variation of the same engine that powered Kawasaki's 1983 championship-winning superbike.

ZRX 1200: Yes, it's a Japanese retro, but it's their OWN history they're invoking.

And while we will not partake in the action recommended by the esteemed anonymous spokesman for Ducatisti the world over (does riding Ducatis contort your spine enough so you can do that?), we could quite simply take a SV650 and blow him away...
SamBlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 07:35 PM   #53
RI_Bassman
Founding Member

Default Re: Read the article--it has nothing to do with payola...

While it is true that the Harley is the most customizable bike going, I for one think a budget comparison should be just that, a sample of bikes for people on a tight budget! When I hear people talk about the how no bike out there holds its value like a Harley, I point out my '85 Honda V65 Magna. The average sale price on this bike is higher than what I payed for it new! Not too bad for a 15 year old bike! Of course that would be because NOBODY makes anything even similar to that style any more, which means I will never sell this thing. And as far as maintainence goes, I couldnt asked for anything better. 45,000 miles and not a single problem! Try that with your H-D or Ducati!
RI_Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 09:39 AM   #54
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Agree on the blast...

After putting ~2k miles on my EX500, I had a chance to test ride a Blast.

It handled wonderfully, the position was comfortable, the ride was smooth once the engine got up to speed, but it was just a hamster-powered charriot. I hit the rev limiter at least 3 times, including in the twisty sections. If it had the engine from an GS500, or, even better, an EX500, (heck, or save weight with the EX250 engine) it would be a wonderful ride. But with that engine, it was just way too underpowered to be considered a real world motorcycle.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 11:28 AM   #55
tundra2K1
Founding Member

I recently saw base 883s at MSRP on the floor at West Bend Harley. And saw an ad for 883s at MSRP at Suburban Motors in Thiensville, WI. Both stores are within 30 miles of Milwaukee.

This is suprising since used prices for Sportsters have been thru the roof in HD's backyard in southeast Wisconsin. The best prices for used Sportsters seem to be in the New York area.
tundra2K1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 11:55 AM   #56
tundra2K1
Founding Member

How is your Sportster in the vibration category? It seems the amount of vibration varies from bike to bike.

Also, what year is it and have you done any performance mods?
tundra2K1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 07:58 AM   #57
CB750rider
Founding Member

Default Re: radials & Yosh

Radial tires of choice are the Michelin Macadam 90X (being phased out and replaced with the 100X). They make all the difference and I recommend to every CB rider not to wait until you wear out the OEM rubber - just spring for the new rubber and it's like a new bike.

The Yosh is loud, but keep it under 3000 rpm (easy to do on a bike with power like the NH) until you are out of your neighborhood - then who cares? It's not as loud as the Kerker or others I've heard on Nighthawks. It all depends on how hard you ride, but it does get a bit noisy at the higher RPMs
CB750rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 04:35 PM   #58
Java
Founding Member

Where are you guys from? I can't figure out why the Sportster is always grouped with the "budget bikes". Here in Georgia, out-the door, the Sportster goes for about NINE GRAND, which means it's in the company of the Cyclone, not the Blast, the Super Hawk, not the Nighthawk, the TL1000, not the 650. This can't be blamed on the Motor Company, 'cause they list it at $5500. You can't really even blame the dealers...I mean, if you've got a never ending line of ignorant lemmings willing to pay that, why sell it for less? I am interested in the Suzuki though.Has anyone who weighs up around 225 ridden one? I don't want to race it, but I'm afraid I'm just too big for it. Its the Suzook, or pony-up the extra three grand for the Cyclone, I don't know enough yet to decide.
Java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2001, 05:21 PM   #59
Java
Founding Member

Default Re: Been there done that and what you get with a Buell is...

Amen. All we know for sure about this anonymous squid is that he's never ridden a Buell.(If he rides at all). No, it won't keep up with a Duck on a track, but it will in the real world. And let's not get started on what valve adjustments cost on a Desmo.(Buells don't need 'em)
Java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2001, 10:42 AM   #60
TommyJefferson
Founding Member

I have a KLR and it will NOT "cruise at 80 ~ 90 mph all day".

Yes, it will run at 80 - 90 if your rev it out and put the engine the upper limit of its capacity, but it will not "cruise" there.

A comfortable cruising pace for the KLR is around 65 mph, maybe 70 tops.

TommyJefferson is offline   Reply With Quote