Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 12-29-2000, 09:54 PM   #21
backroadbandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Value Bike Feedback

I ride to work every day, and many days ride for work, delivering stuff. Most days I take the KLR, instead of the Bandit 12 or the R1100Rs. It's just easier to hop on and use, gets 50 mpg, and is a superior traffic bike. Can also smoke junior riders on their latest tech machines, very easily in turns. Drag races the dressers, too, and smokes 'em!
backroadbandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2000, 07:11 AM   #22
Coldrider
Founding Member

Having owned a Nighthawk and having ridden a friend's 883, I believe that their placings should be reversed. The Nighthawk gave me no problems, and if not for a trip to Sturgis the 883 would have more vertical miles than horizontal. With the HD craze, I recommend everyone buy stock in whichever company produces loc-tite.
Coldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2000, 10:08 AM   #23
Gabe
Founding Member

Default MZ's Rock!

A great starter bike, a great race bike, and a great bike for the mature rider who wants to work on his riding skills rather than show off how brave he is by twisting his throttle to the stop on his superbike.

I loved my Sport, it taught me everything I know about riding fast. It was lacking in the power department, but if I rode with a slower crowd, I'd probably still have it. (i.e., those who don't routinely exceed 100 MPH.)

Never have I ridden such a perfectly set-up stock bike. The spring and damping rates were perfect for both street and track, and the brakes just plain kick ass. Stainless lines stock, and before anyone else was doing it.

But hey, MO did review the MZ, as did 2Wf. I guess MZ doesn't advertise enough, or something.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2000, 07:32 PM   #24
SamBlob
Founding Member

Default The largest selling, longest running bike in history...

...is the Honda Super Cub. If we're talking world history, that is.
SamBlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2000, 08:09 PM   #25
SamBlob
Founding Member

Default Re: Value Bike Feedback - Random thoughts

1. Noted already, but how did you manage to switch the positions of the Nighthawk 750 and the Sportster 883 between the previous test and this one, when neither bike has changed (in five years...)

2. Obviously this was a case of one bike per manufacturer. Suzuki has the GS500E (more in the Buell''s class than the other bikes here) and the Bandit 600 (which would have beaten the Nighthawk in the previous test if the availability of parts and accessories for the then brand-new design wasn''t an "issue"). IMO, there are several comparos that could have been done:

a: Micro-cruisers (Honda Rebel vs. Suzuki GZ250X vs Yamaha Virago 250),

b: middleweight cruisers (Yamaha V-Star vs. Kawasaki Vulcan 500 vs. Honda Shadow VLX vs. Suzuki Savage vs. H-D Sportster 883),

c: beginner standards (Buell Blast vs. Suzuki GS500E vs. Kawasaki Ninja 500) and

d: Frugal Fours (Kawasaki ZR-7 vs. Honda Nighthawk 750 vs. Suzuki Bandit 600)

e: V-Twin Fun! (Suzuki SV650 vs. Ducati Monster 600 Dark)

f: Suzuki DR650SE vs. Kawasaki KLR650

3. For those who want reliable budget transportation (like me), the Nighthawk 750 wins hands down. I realize, however, that I am in the minority on this...

4. I miss the MZ Silver Star! *snif*
Old 12-31-2000, 05:49 AM   #26
SamBlob
Founding Member

Default Re: Well, if you want to get technical...

I believe we are talking "motorcycles" here, and perhaps you should consider that the western world includes Western Europe, where a full-sized motorcycle is considered to be one larger than 125cc and there is still a thriving 50cc market, that descendants of the C50 Super Cub still participate in.
Old 12-31-2000, 02:47 PM   #27
SamBlob
Founding Member

Default Re: Horsefeathers...

The problem with that, in this context, is that it isn't really a value bike. Even if you can get one at MSRP, you'll still have to get the parts to address that part of the package you don't like. I don't know if I would need a gel pad for the Nighthawk, but I'm almost sure I would for the Sportster.

If I could afford an XL1200S Sportster Sport, I'd try it out. It looks like what a basic Sportster + Harley Tax would be for me anyway. But it's not a value bike the way a Nighthawk would be.
Old 12-31-2000, 08:54 PM   #28
SamBlob
Founding Member

Default Re: Ya got that right...

I'll accept that...

HOWEVER: If a Nighthawk will "be worth less than half its original price in a few years even if still in cherry condition" then the thing to do is use a little judo and let the bike's depreciation work for you. Nighthawks are relatively hard to kill, so if you can buy used and get a mechanic to check the condition of the bike before you buy, you can have yourself a good, reliable bike that won't depreciate much (more).
Old 01-01-2001, 12:47 AM   #29
CycloneRider
Founding Member

OK Mr. English Professor, read the sentence again.

You're correct, "It's" is a contraction for "it is" but it's also a contraction for "it has". May I suggest you buy a thesaurus and a dictionary, then reference them (skipped grammar in elementary school, eh?) BEFORE you commit yourself to verbal diarrhea . Confucius say, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".
CycloneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 09:15 PM   #30
SamBlob
Founding Member

Default Re: What is your point?

Hondabill:

1. I'm not sure the post you were replying to was trying to say that the Enfield Bullet was made in China; the Bullet statement and the China statement were probably meant to be seperate.

2. In addition to the BMW clones, China makes lots of different bikes, including Jialing, which is built in partnership with Honda.

Sportsters may be the '57 Chevy of bikedom, but be assured, the Honda Super Cub is the VW Bug.