Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 10-13-2003, 08:15 AM   #21
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: I HAAAAAAATE SCOOTERS!!!!!!!

Uuuuh.... Eric, forget about the dresses, what about ASSLESS LEATHER CHAPS?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2003, 08:38 AM   #22
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: MoPeds are motorcycles too?

What is surprising is that being with ABATE, she was not passing a petition to outlaw all motorcycles except for Harleys. Here we go again trying to make "our" brand or style of riding the only thing that should be acceptable.

I say as long as the mopeds are complying with the rules, and the cops are enforcing the rules, they are allowed to ride anywhere they want! And yes the insurance companies are going to screw us, but they do it anyway, regardless of statistics.

obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 08:49 AM   #23
ebass
Founding Member

Don't even get me started SA. Having just attended the "Iron and Lace" Party thrown by the Fast Dates calendar folks Saturday night, the mere mention of ass-less leather chaps puts a smile on my face and a lump in my pants. As the esteemed philosopher Homer Simpson would say, "Calendar Girls ....aaaglglglglglhhhh!!!"
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 10:47 AM   #24
Buzglyd
Founding Member

So will we be getting an Iron and Lace story posted here soon?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 11:45 AM   #25
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

I for one am sick of hearing the motorcycle crowd whine about how bad the insurance companies are trying to "screw" them.

I am 27, single, and own a 2000 R1. I was just quoted a yearly premium of $267.40 by State Farm. Granted, I have managed to keep my record clean for the last three years despite blatant and frequent ignorance of nearly all traffic laws while on my motorcycle. but still, for being in my 20s and single, that is a darn good price (full coverage with $500 deductible.) Of course this includes other factors such as home ownership and multiple-vehicle and house policy discounts and my very good FICO score.

In any case, you won't hear a peep from me in complaint. On the R1 forum I frequent, when insurance issues come up, there is always a lot of bragging about who's got the lowest rates. Insurance companies make their money based on mathmatical formulas, not arbirtary decisions. The insurance business is one step below telco companies in terms of degree of cutthroatness. If they did make judgement calls with no basis, you can bet that in good 'ol America another company would be there to step in take their business. I'm not an actuary, but I would bet that seperating the numbers would do virtually nothing for our rates.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 11:50 AM   #26
sanitar
Founding Member

Default Re: Sportbikes -- they DO separate them for insurance.

This was not the study - merely the numbers. Since the most rapidly growing subsegment of motorcyclists is that "over 40" group, it is not surprising that absolute number is going up. We don't know if the percentage of us (40+ guys) hurting ourselves in crushes is increasing.

Gene
sanitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 01:27 PM   #27
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

What is it about assless leather chaps that seems to attract bony, weathered 50-year old crack *****s?
Old 10-13-2003, 01:52 PM   #28
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: I HAAAAAAATE SCOOTERS!!!!!!! DITTO

If you ride scooter you are at best a momas boy at worst you should get the operation.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 03:19 PM   #29
cyclox
Founding Member

Insurance rates vary drastically. As an exercise, I suggest you go to one of those online insurance quote engines and see what the difference is between rates for California and for anywhere in the midwest. Insurance on my old 250 was twice what you're paying, and I'm 32, single and have a clean record. And that was for liability only. Wasn't worth getting collision on a bike worth $600 or so.

So, some of us out here on the coast do like to raise a fuss when the topic of insurance hits the boards.

cyclox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 06:45 PM   #30
sarnali
Founding Member

As far as I know state farm goes on driving record and engine displacement, I pay around $300 a year for my '02 Trophy 1200, pretty much what I paid for my '01 1200 Bandit with no tickets or accidents, multi vehicale and homeowners through the same agent.

I checked around with the progressive insurance through Rider magazine and it was about the same, I thought a touring bike might be cheaper, but it's engine size that determines the cost.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote