Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 10-08-2003, 11:17 AM   #91
Betamax
Founding Member

Default The loser went home is what

Some people shouldn't ride bikes. Timmy is one of them.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2003, 11:17 AM   #92
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Dirty Earplugs

OK, I guess I deserved the dipstick rating with that one...
Old 10-08-2003, 11:26 AM   #93
Betamax
Founding Member

Default REVIEW BIKES & GEAR. STFU ABOUT YOURSELVES.

This site is supposed to be about motorcycles, not about personalities. Particularly mediocre ones.

So stop engaging in self-referential, masturbatory prose and sycophantic circle jerks.

If I wanted to read that crap I'd read Motorcyclist Magazine.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:31 AM   #94
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: Dirty Earplugs

Your tongue is brown.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:43 AM   #95
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Breaking that MC Habit

I suscribed to Motorcyclist from 1997 to 2002. It was akin to "Dirt Bike" magazine from the early to middle 70's. No Bull, spot on articles, humor, pathos, lies, etc.

Something changed around 1999-2003, and it all started to go to hell. McQuade & Gordon Jenning ate it, then JB left, and, well the rest is history.

The mag is a real snooze-o-rama now.

Yeah, I was in LHR, and picked up a copy of BIKE, while waiting for a connecting flight.

Great magazine. Big, too.

Crazy lingo. Well, they are, English after all.

One story from the magazine comes to mind, when a messenger from London described crashing his bike as "****ting it up."

Another good Brit mag is "Superbike".

Old 10-08-2003, 11:49 AM   #96
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: Last Post

A percentage of recent articles are linked to Motorcycle Daily, so even you know it's doing a better job at getting the news and at putting out new reviews.

MD just posted a review of the 599. Where's yours?
Old 10-08-2003, 11:54 AM   #97
bboule
Founding Member

Default Re: Update: Dirty Earplugs

How about more detailed long-term tests...

Get the site up to date, fix the menus, organize things, etc..

Create databases of stats, etc.. (including long term stuff like $$ for maintenance over X miles, etc..)

Get a better photographer. A lot of the rally articles have extremely bland photographs. That is one thing the print magazines do much better, their photos are far more entertaining.

Throw a MOron rally.

Ben
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 12:01 PM   #98
Gordy
Registered Member

Default Re: Update: Dirty Earplugs

What I don't need are redundant articles on the latest and greatest Ninja, CBR etc. As another reader said there are a LOT of bikes out there. Have you thought of testing reader's rides? A Gixxer at 20,000 miles of real wear and tear (unlike the 3100 mile Motorcyclist "long term" testers) might tell those of us who keep our bike or buy used some useful information, particularly if the owner kept service records.

Another thing, I find (after 30+ years of reading and riding) is that what really makes the reading part interesting is the columnists. MC is boring now precisely because of the lack of interesting columns, CW maintains because Peter Egan and Kevin Cameron are still at it.

Try getting Keith Code to do a monthly - He's interesting!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 12:01 PM   #99
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

Default Anyone catch his letter in Cycle World????????????

Did anyone else catch this...right around the time Young Timmy was pin balling his SV around LA, there was a letter in the Service Q&A in Cycle World from a T. Busch (think that was his last name) inquiring about his SV slipping out of gear while wheelying (kind of in a proud tone). I read the letter and said to myself "Holy Shyt! That must be the same knucklehead at MO right now!"

Anyway, from what I remember, Paul Dean pretty much biitch slapped him and suggested that he had perhaps wadded up the SV tranny but good.

He couldn't ride surface streets in LA to save his life, but apparently he had that wheelying thing down...kind of. Well, apparently not really. Ah, the frolic of youth....
Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 12:10 PM   #100
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: Come Now Grasshopper and Begin Your Journey

Hey, Man.

I also lost my rally virginity there.

My "Other which defies Singificance Qualification" raced there in the VERY FIRST RACE ever at Barber's, back in June.

Speaking of Mecca, she and I decided that the cobblestoned pad in front of the museum looks kind of like St. Peter's Square.