Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 09-15-2003, 04:48 PM   #61
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re:not too fast but fun as hell.

I raced a guy in a Mini Cooper the other day on my Trophy through some twisties, we were hitting around 90 or 100 in some spots.

Not real fast in comparison to some R-1's or GSXR's but we were both laughing our asses off when we waved off.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2003, 05:05 PM   #62
Surefire
Founding Member

Default Re: How fast is too fast?

The fastes I have gone, no joke on a public highway, was close to 200 mph. Since the needle of a busa only goes up to 290+, I really couldnt tell much after that mark of where I actually was. My buddy runs a 1509 stroker Busa at the Utah Salt Flats, and told me to take it for a rip. Back then it was only 1397ccs, and 205hp, with 120 ft.lb's . Needless to say, it was dumb fast. And an crazy ass fun riot. id do it again too.

Bearisto Racing is his company if that matters. He ran 205 mph at the salt this year, except his donor motor from Suzuki broke. guess that can happen with 220hp and 150 ft. lb torque.

Surefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 05:25 PM   #63
obandoj
Founding Member

Those 900 Ninjas did over 150, I know!

Of course that only happened until about 12K miles on the clock, when the valves turned to candy and the party was over.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 05:42 PM   #64
wwalkersd
Founding Member

"Which begs the question: Does the phenomenal competence of modern sportbikes render elevated but sane speeds boring? Is that a good thing?"

I absolutely believe this is true. I had a Ducati ST4, and now have a Suzuki V-Strom and a Harley Road King. The RK feels fast at speeds that are barely interesting on the 'Zook and were boring on the Duc. And one reason (besides my aching back) that I got rid of the Duc was that my cornering speeds on it were, IMHO, stupid fast for public roads.

It's an interesting conundrum. Improved handling makes us safer at any speed, in the sense that we're less likely to lose control of the bike and have higher reserves for accident avoidance. But this very feeling of compusure encourages us to go faster seeking more excitement. Remember that kinetic energy goes up as the square of velocity. Go twice as fast, and the crash impact will be four times as hard. This makes me think that we may actually be safer on bikes that handle less well!
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 05:47 PM   #65
bnsr1000r
Founding Member

310 kph 2000 ZX9R Pipe and goodies.

260 kph 2002 Z06 Stock. Both speeds were indicated on the speedos.Correct? I don't know . Skin stretching feeling? OH YEAH BABY!
bnsr1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 06:24 PM   #66
ofreen
Registered Member

I lived on the Kenai Peninsula for years, but moved away a few years back. The best curvy stretch of road was on the Seward Highway 6 miles either side of the Hope cutoff. I went up there on a visit a couple of years ago and was disappointed to find they have redone the road and straightened it out considerably. They even bypassed the weird old Canyon Creek bridge. They ruined it to make the Winnebago drivers happy.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 08:09 PM   #67
mattlyxr
Founding Member

too fast is when pucker factor exceeds talent factor. lane splitting at 25+ through LA traffic can be too fast, open twisties at 60+ can be too fast. Case in point: me on 99 triumph legend, other guy on 90 something Voyager (try to imagine two less race-worthy bikes) & he runs off the road at around 15 into a ditch. the bike coulda made the turn, rider ran out of balls, point is, modern bikes exceed the capabilities of all but professional racers, choose your time & place with caution & a bit of sense, & twist the right grip.

140 indicated (132 likely) on new Triumph Sprint, still had 6th gear, ran out of road.
mattlyxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 09:03 PM   #68
EbonFlame
Founding Member

No kidding? PIR looked fun, but now I'm positively drooling. Where you located? I live in downtown PDX. Drop me a line sometime, I'm kinda the only guy I know who rides...
EbonFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 09:10 PM   #69
EbonFlame
Founding Member

Oi! Can't a man have some nostalgic fun? Hrmph, spoil my little 'storytime'.
EbonFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 01:06 AM   #70
Betamax
Founding Member

excellent points. On a couple of occassions, the city cops here have ignored some of my rare but extreme cases of speeding...while those country bumpkins have nothing better to do but wait just outside of their little dip***** town...
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote