Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 09-15-2003, 03:44 PM   #51
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: How fast is too fast?

I hear you on the ride home from work comment. 145 on a deserted road feels 100 times safer than the SF bay bridge commute.

Now 150 in my old 68 GTO with 25 year old stock suspension was a little frightning. Same with my 71 Cutlass... Though 158 in my pumped 72 240z was pretty smooth. Gotta love growing up in the central valley of CA. Nothing but flat long farm roads for miles but with twisty goodness only 20 minutes away...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2003, 03:50 PM   #52
ArNinetyEs
Founding Member

Well, yes. By definition, you broke the law, several of them, and you are a criminal.

Yet you did these deads rather carefully and fully aware. But cage drivers spend their fruitless hours behind the wheel changing CDs, talking to passengers, eating dinner, reading the newspaper, talking on the cell phone, shaving, etc, etc. In short, they endanger everyone around, yet you are the one that would be hauled off to jail.

Am I a criminal? Um, yes. Even my ancient, air-cooled, pushrod flat twin will exceed 125mph as it pulls redline in top gear. And it does it quite willingly on occasion when I cross our local desert on lonely, empty roads in the middle of nowhere.

Am I a criminal? By definition, yes. But I have yet to take out another vehicle because I was dialing a phone, or changing radio stations, or...
ArNinetyEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 04:20 PM   #53
DataDan
Founding Member

If you speed responsibly—allowing for sightline, braking distance, traffic, surface, etc.—I really don't care how fast you go. I occasionally see 125+, but a preference for technical roads and general disinterest in straight-line speed limits me.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there on 150mph+ sportbikes who don't know what they're doing. They kill not only themselves but innocent bystanders as well. That hurts motorcycling and brings a bit closer the day when some politician will make a name for himself by clamping down on motorcycle performance.

Missouri Republican Jack Danforth tried that in the late 1980s. While he eventually dropped the issue, he got a lot of ink in the motorcycling press, and struck fear into the motorcycle industry. Byron Hines (of V&H) bought a new ZX-10 in the box and stored it, fearful of legislation that would ban fast two-wheeled toys. Fortunately, Byron was wrong, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 04:33 PM   #54
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Good topic: Sportbike pilot like incident is a good example.

Too fast is when you are outside the envelope of the road and traffic conditions, your bike, and your abilities. You can be observing the speed limit and still be going too fast

Case in point: I was following some Harley boys on my favorite road 2 weeks ago. As I tried to pass an idiot in a Captain America helmet challenged me i.e. he pulled in my lane. We went side by side until I passed his buddies. He thought he was in a race with me and continued accelerating. Now the speed limit is 45 and he was about to hit a curve with a posted recommended 25. I saw him hit the brakes but he was still going too fast and at this point he was way ahead of me. I thought to myself either this guy is really good or stupid. The curve is a blind one so I didn't see him run off the road. As I made the turn I saw dust and debris and Capt. America walking up the ditch shaking his head. I thought about stopping but he pissed me off and I thought it was better to let his buddies help him and remind him of his folly.

Yep we all have gone above the speed limit but 100 mph+ is just as crazy as riding a motorcycle without a full face helmet.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 04:40 PM   #55
SmokeU
Registered Member

Brainerd International Raceway in Brainerd MN, has one of the longest straights and superbikes regularly see damn near 200mph on it.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:41 PM   #56
DataDan
Founding Member

Sportbikes stop from 60mph in about 120ft ("Test Bike Index", Motorcycle Consumer News, April '03). Braking distance increases with the square of speed. Double speed to 120 and braking distance quadruples to 480ft. Triple speed to 180 and braking distance increases 9 times, to 1080ft. Add 264ft, the distance traveled in one second at 180mph, and you're just over a quarter-mile.

However, aero drag at high speed will slow the bike somewhat quicker than it can decelerate with brakes alone, but I don't know by how much. Regardless, you can't count on 1g braking in an emergency anyway. At 180mph you need a half-mile of clear road to be safe.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 04:54 PM   #57
Gootch
Founding Member

"Which begs the question: Does the phenomenal competence of modern sportbikes render elevated but sane speeds boring? Is that a good thing?"

You know, I think the modern sport bike does render elevated but sane speeds boring -- unless the road is curvy and then sanity is questioned again.

I've been riding since 1983 and bought my first real sport bike -- Honda 2000 CBR 600f4 -- a couple years ago. Speeds that puckered me on an old CB 550 or CX 500 do nothing to me now. My previous bike, which I still have, was a 94 Yamaha Seca and I'll say 105 on that thing was a terrifying experience (on an open AZ road even). When I'm feeling good and in the groove, 105 is just a warm up now.

Is it a good thing -- who knows? It just is. I get more speed but I have better handling and brakes -- maybe it alll works out about the same.

For what it's worth, my fastest speeds have not been on I-5 (I live in Washington) but on more deserted roads.

Gootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 05:01 PM   #58
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You guys realize that if the MSF gets wind of this it will ruin your scores.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 05:26 PM   #59
gbrummett
Founding Member

135 indicated on a 1985 Kawasaki 900 Ninja on FM 219 in Texas and 139 indicated on a 2004 XB912 Buell on Hwy 60 East of Globe AZ
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 05:43 PM   #60
sarnali
Founding Member

All these tales must be calibrated against the top speeds of the VFR, SV650 and Concours, the acknowleged benchmarks of speed and daring-do
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote