Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 09-15-2003, 01:04 PM   #41
mad1
Founding Member

Default Re: How fast is too fast?

Two words - Reaction time. Capirossi knew that he had to brake at the brake marker a long time before he got there. On real roads, we don't have that luxury. At 180 mph, you're going 3 miles per min = 80 metres per second. So by the time you react to the moose, you've already gone 80 metres. Then, assuming 1g braking, it takes 320 metres to stop from an initial speed of 80 m/s. Add them up and you get 400m, which is close enough to a 1/4 mile. Another thing, Capirossi only has to slow to what, 60? 90? mph, so, his braking distance could be reduced by about 50-100 m. So, for him, his total braking distance is about 200-250m, which makes sense, considering that the brake markers on many tracks start at 200m.
mad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2003, 01:05 PM   #42
tlthehun
Registered Member

I was far from home, riding at a very relaxed pace up California's Highway 1 when a Deputy Barney Feif felt that 65 on my digital speedo in a 55 was enough to finish with the driver he had pulled over in the opposite direction, swallow the last bite of donut and take off after me. I thought that was quite silly and, with his lights dormant, I pulled a disappearing act over the next crest and up the nearest side road; three downshifts, near rev limiter upshift or two and hard braking all unseen by him. Last I saw of our brave protector he was chasing me to Oregon in his wheezing Dodge Diplomat. I wonder how many lives other than his own HE endangered with his desire for a high speed chase (of thin air) and poor judgement of what is criminal while driving a vehicle with as much racetrack pedigree as a shopping cart and, odds are, as little near the limit driving experience as the average driver. Speed limits and traffic laws meant to cover all road going vehicles from gravel trucks to R1s are artifically low and restrictive to the vehicles with the highest limits, braking and manueverability. Pick and pre-run your roads wisely, avoid crashing and becoming a statistic, keep the speeds down near homes and intersections, be gracious when passing cars across double yellows and save the real speed for track days.
tlthehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 01:24 PM   #43
tlthehun
Registered Member

I'm with you MO bro, although is it really as much fun the 20th time as it was the 1st? MO power to you if "yes". Unfortunately, logic and law are seldom the same. Try a track day at Portland International Raceway if it's within travelling distance. Final turn is 2nd or 3rd gear, 7/8 mile straightaway, 3rd gear turn 1. 14000+ rpm, 162 or so mph on an R6 before getting on the brakes with the rear wheel wagging. And then there's the 130+ mph slightly curving backstretch. Clean, consistent pavement. No trees or armco. At least 40 times. For less than $200. No wonder 45 mph roads that come with 75+ mph tickets are losing their appeal...
tlthehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 01:53 PM   #44
Nem
Registered Member

how'd you know it was that particular deputy?
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 01:59 PM   #45
Bill_k
Founding Member

120 in the middle of no where southern IL about 3:00am Local cop sleeping by the side of the corn field got me on radar. I then got an invitation to meet the local judge, and the nice man had me donate $500.00 to the local coffer.

Damm stupid on my part.
Bill_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 02:07 PM   #46
steve_griffiths
Founding Member

Keep reading - first article goes on to say the whole thing was started by the bike running into the pickup

Grif

steve_griffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 02:07 PM   #47
drtvick
Founding Member

When the tire leaves the road?

I did 110 in a 65 mustang in 1972. 110 in my new mustang was a lot different. The old mustang got a little scarry and the new was just a smooth as glass. My 1973 CB550 110 was scarry... a buddy's 97 Bandit 95mph was quick and easy.

95 on my 91 VX800 is a little scarry. 150 in my 99 Z28 I wish I could do it all day long. One day soon I hope I will have a Hayabusa. I will brake it in and then find a nice piece of straight empty highway and .......

If it feels good do it...just try not to risk anyone elses life.
drtvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 02:16 PM   #48
bigj_1
Registered Member

How fast is too fast? Not fast enough.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:18 PM   #49
CybeR1
Founding Member

Well here in OZ I did 297kph on a highway one night recently wanted to go the 300 but a 60kph corner was approaching at a rediculous pace and I chickened out - just as well as I only just made it around the corner still doing 160kph !! was only afterwards I thought it might have been a little too quick on an open road at night - I agree with the guy about race days but frankly the fastest I have done on the track is 287 - the main straights aint long enough PS: I pack a poo at doing anything over 180kph in a cage ha ha
CybeR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 02:38 PM   #50
rc51zen
Founding Member

I kept my license but got two points on it so my insurance did go up. The lawyer told me he could get me accelerated rehabilitation for my $1500 but when we got to court he said the head prosecutor had a policy of not giving accel. rehab on a reckless driving charge. How could this lawyer who has practiced there for twenty years not know this? He knew, he just lied and took my $1500. I could of got the same deal whith a $400 lawyer. The lesson here for all you sqiuds out there is if you want speed you better have the money for an O.J. lawyer. Money talks if you want to walk.
rc51zen is offline   Reply With Quote