Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 09-15-2003, 11:22 AM   #21
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: How fast is too fast?

I got 145 (indicated) out of my Bandit 'till it dawned on me that it was dusk, and that the area was crawling with Elk, slowed me down real quick.

I did 105 in the rain at night down I-5, that was a bum-clencher.

I rarely top 100 now, I just don't feel the need to push it anymore. I'm pretty comfortable cruising at 80~90.

Must be a sign.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2003, 11:29 AM   #22
DataDan
Founding Member

I don't have a problem with speeding itself, just with most of the people who do it. Speed isn't a big deal. Speed differential to other traffic, and speed relative to sightline are what count. But the unfortunate truth, which those of you who have been riding for more than a few years know, is that most motorcyclists are idiots. They have no idea when and where to speed safely.

Let's look at some examples just from this weekend This guy was going so fast he rear-ended a pickup truck, causing a pileup that killed a kid. This guy was rounding a bend going much too fast and t-boned a van full of kids that was turning into a park. And this guy was speeding and wheelying when he t-boned a left-turning car.

For info, from 180mph, stopping takes a quarter of a mile—assuming 1 second reaction and a racetrack-perfect 1g braking. Allowing for the contingencies of the real world, a half-mile of clear roadway would be about the minimum.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 11:38 AM   #23
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

130 on a Honda 1100F without a helmet or windshield. About 25+ years ago. My cheeks were flapping back is how I remember it. A few years ago I kicked my Venture Royale into gear in the sandhills of Nebraska and hit 115 when I saw the Nebraska State Patrol flashing behind me. Cost me 200 large. On the way back from Sturgis in the middle of nowhere. Patrolman was a sawed of little runt that got his kicks hiding behind things and probably snoozing until his radar would wake him up. Really pissered me off if ya know what I mean.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 11:45 AM   #24
JoeSquid
Founding Member

I was nicked doing 110 on I-80W returning from my fiance's a couple of years ago. Fortunately, the CHP Officer was in a generous mood and due to my *sparkling clean* driving record, he wrote me up for 80mph, thus allowing me to pay the ticket, not go to jail and attend traffic school. I was as shocked as anyone!!
JoeSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 11:56 AM   #25
torrnado
Founding Member

I've heard that my 2003 Kawasaki Z1000 will do 145 mph on the somewhat desolate 25 mile stretch of I-5 north of Camp Pendleton in Southern California.
torrnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 11:59 AM   #26
ofreen
Registered Member

I've had the CBR up to an indicated 165 too many times to remember for brief periods on deserted roads. It doesn't seem nearly as dangerous as riding the same bike home from work on a busy freeway.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 12:10 PM   #27
ofreen
Registered Member

A good place for high speed runs are the long straights on the Sterling Highway between Sterling and Cooper's Landing. The trees are cut back a ways from the edge of the road so visibility is good. Or so I hear. ha ha
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 12:16 PM   #28
Flickmeister
Registered Member

It's not so much how fast you go that is critical. It's how you go fast: having the knowledge & perspective to pick your time & place, and having the necessary skills to react and stop within your line of sight are the two biggies here. There are very few places where 180+ can be done "safely." Hell, there are very few places where it can be done at 120. One thing for sure, if you make the decision to go 180+ and screw it up, you won't have to worry about making your next decision.

Remember that old adage: "It's not speed that kills. It's those sudden stops."
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 12:21 PM   #29
torrnado
Founding Member

The first accident you reference was a drunk idiot who rolled his SUV and several unrestrained kids were ejected.

What's with the holier-than-thou attitude?
torrnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 12:22 PM   #30
brickl
Founding Member

I have a hard time believing that it takes a 1/4 mile (1320 feet) to stop from 180mph on a modern sportbike.

The staight at Mugello is 3743.4 feet long. Loris Capirossi hit 205.3mph on that straight, braked, and made the tight right hander during qualifying this year.

How could this be possible considering his corner entry speed, and the brake point, which is certainly nowhere near a 1/4 mile? I know he's not coming to a stop, but you know what I mean. How do you calculate the 1/4 mile thing?
brickl is offline   Reply With Quote