Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 09-15-2003, 09:36 AM   #11
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: How fast is too fast?

My astronomy professor in college said that someone with an alphabet after their name has calculated that at the speed of light the human heart will stop for some strange reason. If that's true (I don't know if it is) then I guess that the speed of light is too fast. Anything less than that isn't.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2003, 09:37 AM   #12
ebmang2
Founding Member

I usually top out my 01 gsxr1000 about twice a week or so. I see no harm in it on a empty highway. I usually do it down a long hill so I can see any potential hazards form a distance. Hypotheticly speaking at those speeds I would not bother stopping to collect my ticket.
ebmang2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 09:42 AM   #13
brickl
Founding Member

If I knew I was clocked, or even SEEN riding at above 150, I'm gone as gone gets, and I ain't stopping for anything less than a spikestrip. Or can I bunny hop the R1?
brickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 09:45 AM   #14
dardas
Founding Member

How fast? About 160 (back home in Europe)

How did I feel? F'gin great.

However, when I read this story the first thing that came to mind was "Serves him right! Moron!" Which just goes to show what a gigantic hypocrite I am.
dardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:04 AM   #15
szazbo
Registered Member

Anytime someone behaves contrary to a posted law (as opposed to a rule), they are a criminal (whether they are caught or not). With that said, if you are a motorcyclist, you have exceeded the posted speed limit on at least one occasion in your lifetime and, therefore, fit within the definition. With THAT said, since you are probably going to speed at some point in the future, it is up to you as to the how/where you go about it. To ensure public safety (as opposed to your own safety), you must pick your time & place so as to minimally impact (no pun intended) the public at large. In other words, do it where no one (but you) can get hurt. Motorcycling is a risky business as we all know. It is up to YOU to determine if the pleasure of clandestine WFO travel is worth the inherent risk. So, how fast is too fast? It is any speed which is unreasonable for the road/traffic/weather conditions. If the conditions are right, 25mph is too fast. I've travelled (on numerous occasions) as fast as my motorcycle was able to go, on (very) lightly travelled roads under beautiful weather conditions. I did it carefully and considerately (as best I could). I did not exceed my abilities (forget the bike - it has greater abilities than I do) nor did I attract public attention. It was (and continues to be) a successful clandestine operation. I do NOT recommend this behavior to others.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:36 AM   #16
brickl
Founding Member

Well, speedo error on my bike was +7%, so it'd really have been 174mph with 187mph indicated, give or take a 10th. That's the most I could wring out of it. Doesn't make much difference at that speed, though.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:39 AM   #17
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I got my Cushman Super Eagle up to about 60 mph on San Fernando road Saturday, I was intoxicated.

With the chain humming, the pipe blaring out a flathead crescendo, the valves going ka-pokita pokita pokita, I could imagine myself free, unleashed from the surly bonds of Earth, much like a dirigible pilot.

Then, in my mirror, I saw another rider on a step-thru Honda 90 inching up on me.

Grabbing the "loud handle", I gave the mighty Eagle all the fury that it's 3/4 inch Tillotston could dish out.

Tucked in and on the boil, man and machine became one.

With the 90 hot on my tail, I weaved, lurched, slid and skipped through the midday Glendale traffic, willy-nilly, unmolested by time or thought. The mighty flathead mill churning out 8 thunderous horsepower under me, the valves going ka-pokita, pokita, pokita...gears meshing, gasses combusting.

A red light at the intersection of Los Feliz brought all this to a quick end. The 90 pilot slid up next to me, and we gave each other that "nod of respect", reserved for test pilots, S.E.A.L. team members, and automatic transmission mechanics.

I know how you feel, man.

Old 09-15-2003, 10:41 AM   #18
reggler
Founding Member

anything faster than the law allows. now that I've gotten that out of the way, I've had the Meanstreak up to a buck 15 on more than one occasion. I pick the time and place and don't sustain the speed. For me the acceleration more than the top speed is the rush. But to each his own.

bottom line: If you're gonna do it, make sure you don't risk someone else's life.

and remember this: "It's not the speed, it's the sudden stops."

reggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 11:12 AM   #19
acecycleins
Founding Member

152 on a Hot-Rodded '93 V-Max

145 in a '72 Vette

Both were fun. Both were extremely stupid. Both were worth the risk.

Had I been caught, should I be jailed? HELL YES!!!!! Should I pay a substantial fine if covicted in court? HELL YES, again. Should I have my license suspended for 30 to 90 days? Maybe....

Sould the insurance company that covers my assets be allowed to increase my premium to some "over inflated" rate or not renew my policy? Yes!!!!!!

As long as a rider can control the mount then do as you wish, but if you endanger someone in the process the cop that gets to you first should have the right to KICK THE LIVIN' S**T out of you for being a dumb ass on public roadways.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:16 AM   #20
brickl
Founding Member

Masochism will get you nowhere, dude...