Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-21-2003, 01:37 AM   #1
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: Congressman Crash Update II

I think most of us have been guilty of doing more excessive speeding on backroads than 15-20 over, but NOT THROUGH A STOP SIGN!! This guy needs to spend 10-15 years in jail for 2nd degree manslaughter.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2003, 01:55 AM   #2
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Shift all his wealth over to the victim's family, throw him out of congress, lifetime revocation of driving privalages, throw him in jail for a while.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 02:00 AM   #3
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Swerved to avoid

There was probably a vehicle in front of the bike and Jackloff decided the bike was less likely to kill him than the other vehicle.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 02:53 AM   #4
jkgooch
Founding Member

MO may not be interested in this idea, but some of you MOrons may be. It could be helpful to send a letter to the State's Attorney's office for Moody County, informing them that there is a national constituency keeping an eye on how they handle the case--namely, us.

I know it isn't MO's MO to act as an advocacy group, but this forum is sort of a built-in caucus. It wouldn't kill MO to send off a letter, indicating the breadth of its subscriber list (you might want to emphasize geographic reach over sheer numbers *wink*), with special note made of our membership in South Dakota, and saying that we're all watching closely to see that justice is upheld to the extent the law allows. And that we'll be publishing updates of their actions in an online magazine with a national readership of "x" motorcyclists.

I mention this because I get nervous when law enforcement says "we're going to take our time on this," particularly when there is a public official involved. (See State's Attorney Ellingson saying that the "process cannot and should not be rushed.") I always worry that that means they'll wait long enough for the initial press blitz to die down, then quietly announce that there isn't enough evidence to proceed and drop the case. Unless our brother Mr. Scott is wealthy (dollars to donuts he ain't), his family likely will not bring a civil action, and probably lacks the public weight to push local law enforcement. Plus, Scott was from Minnesota--no local pull. Recall how powerful local political machines can be in small-population areas and out-of-the-limelight states.

People have already mentioned the incredible duplicity and hypocrisy the great state of Tennessee displayed just a few years ago. Wouldn't be tragic if we wound up with a Congressman Janklow Memorial Stop Sign in Moody County, South Dakota? Let's put our (admittedly limited) weight behind Mr. Scott and his family.

A letter from even one group of motorcyclists reminding the local muckety-mucks that people are watching can only help.

Whatdya think, MO?

jkgooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 03:40 AM   #5
veronaisland
Registered Member

I think that's a great idea! I went on AMA's website and they have a blurb about "monitoring" the investigation, but have not as yet put the accident on their "rapid response" center. Since there is nothing on the representative's website regarding the accident, one can only assume his spin doctors have not figured out how to polish this to Jankow's advantage. I don't want the guy strung up just because he is a representative, but I do want him treated as we would be treated if we were driving that cage. Probably wishfull thinking.

veronaisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 04:05 AM   #6
allenokeefe
Registered Member

anyone got an address? ill defenitely send out a letter....and ill post the address to all the boards i talk on....sounds like a great idea...Id hate to see a scumbag get away with it!
allenokeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 04:16 AM   #7
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Has this even made the mainstream media yet. I have not seen any report of this on cnn/foxnews/cbs/abc/nbc. I understand this bugging us, but it is a House representative that has killed someone. I would think that it would get some coverage.

Best wishes to the Scott family.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 04:22 AM   #8
F451
Founding Member

CNN did a piece on it last night August 20th. They stated the good things the Congressman had done and also his wanton speeding addiction.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 04:48 AM   #9
jkgooch
Founding Member

Got some feedback on my letter suggestion, curious about email addresses for the concerned parties. I wasn't able to scare up much in the way of contacts for email, but the South Dakota State Attorney General's Office may be contacted at "atghelp@state.sd.us".

Any MOron (or anyone else) who wishes to may email his/her opinion on the incident, but I still think a letter from MO itself would add some weight. Still, individual letters (provided they're rational and not hyperventilating) can't hurt.

In response to one MOron's query about major media attention, there's a decent article at http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...-janklow_x.htm, updated yesterday. I also found the following at www.politics1.com:

"CONGRESSMAN LIKELY TO FACE FELONY CHARGE FOR FATAL CRASH. Prosecutors in South Dakota announced Tuesday that their initial investigation established that Congressman Bill Janklow (R-SD) was responsible for the weekend traffic accident that left a motorcyclist dead. Moody County State's Attorney William Ellingson said that Janklow caused the accident by running a stop sign. Initial reports indicate that Janklow -- who had an extensive history of speeding tickets during his years as Governor -- was also likely speeding at the time of the accident. The SD State Highway Patrol accident report -- delivered to Ellingson late Wednesday -- included accident reconstruction evidence alleging that Janklow's vehicle was operating at nearly 20 miles over the speed limit at the time of impact. Ellingson again emphasized that he would thoroughly review the report before determining whether to seek criminal charges. Legal experts believe Janklow will be charged with second-degree manslaughter, a felony which carries a maximum sentence of ten years in state prison. Janklow's office also confirmed to the media that the Congressman expects criminal charges will be filed against him."

The USA Today article indicates that our boy wasn't wearing a helmet--certainly more fodder for the apologists--and that the bike struck the rear driver's side door of the car.

Plus--and who knew?--apparently Cadillacs have a "black box" that records, among other things, the speed of travel and whether you applied the brakes. Memo to self: your car is spying on you; ride the bike.

Cheers.
jkgooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 05:06 AM   #10
F451
Founding Member

If I am not incorrect, the Black Box only records said data in the event the air bags are deployed. Was this the case in this accident?
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote