Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   Congressman Crash Update II (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/2060-congressman-crash-update-ii.html)

kawazuki 08-22-2003 08:50 AM

Re: Congressman Crash Update II / Devil's advocate

I can't speak for everyone, but I might be more inclined to lynch a cyclist who blew through a stop sign at 80 and killed someone, because they make the rest of us look bad. Sadly, I expect this sort of behaviour from cagers. It's part of why I'm still alive and riding with no major incidents after 8 years of motorcycle ownership. I'd settle for Janklow to be punished within the law, except I can easily see someone who was the longest running governor in the history of the US getting a wrist slap in his home state.

-Kawazuki

BMW4VWW 08-22-2003 09:12 AM

Re: Janklow

You are right about media bias reflecting the political bent of the business owners, as well as the lack of diference between the two parties (are they still two separate entities?). It sure would be refreshing to tune into a media outlet and hear a Libertarian slant on the days happenings. VWW

grover750 08-22-2003 09:41 AM

Allow me to clarify what I wrote. If you belive that pre-meditation matters, (the law does) I do think it matters why he as on the road he was on. Was he on the road he was on because he PLANNED on driving like an idiot? Was he on the road he was on because he make a concious choice to speed and run stop signs? Or is this the quickest route for him to get home?

Now, before I get lynched, I agree that it doesn't matter to the family of the killed motorcyclist, he is just as dead either way. But, the prosecuter has to decide whether Mr. Janklow made a "conscious and unjustifiable disregard of substantial risk", which is how he will decide whether or not to pursue 2nd degree manslaughter charges. Or at least it is how he SHOULD decide whether or not to pursue 2nd degree manslaughter charges.

And.... When I say driving like an idiot, I'm talking about running the stop sign at 75 mph. Driving 75mph doesn't necessarily mean you're driving like an idiot, it depends on where you do it, and many other factors. Rolling a stop sign at 5 mph doesn't necessarily mean you're driving like an idiot, it depends on which stop sign, and many other factors. Running a stop sign at 75mph is driving like an idiot, period.

grover750 08-22-2003 09:47 AM

Re: Congressman Crash Update II

I don't know about you, but I have yet to run a stop sign at 75 mph.

seruzawa 08-22-2003 10:29 AM

You are WRONG!!! There are HUGE differences between the two parties!!!

The Democraps tax us to death, grow the govt beyond all rational bounds, involve us in foreign wars and wreck the economy and the environment (while pretending to do the opposite of all of the above).

The Redumblicans are completely different! They.... well they tax us to death, grow the govt beyond all rational bounds, involve us in foreign wars and wreck the economy and the environment (while pretending to do the opposite of all of the above).

Can't you tell the difference?

seruzawa 08-22-2003 10:31 AM

the "R"smakeup stories on people to accomplish their goals, doesn't matter if it's health care, social security,war, or God forbid, a stop sign

I dare you to show me in what manner the "D"s are the slightest bit different.

seruzawa 08-22-2003 10:36 AM

But, the prosecuter has to decide whether Mr. Janklow made a "conscious and unjustifiable disregard of substantial risk",

In my book the mere fact that this criminal blew past a stop sign at 80mph proves the fact of a "conscious and unjustifiable disregard of substantial risk" on the faxce of it. Actions prove intentions.

electraglider_1997 08-22-2003 11:06 AM

Difference

When a Democrat lies nobody believes him. When a Republican lies nobody believes him except the Republicans.

KPaulCook 08-22-2003 11:29 AM

This just in

ROTECTING YOUR RIGHT TO RIDE: ROAD RIDING NEWS

-----------------------------------------------------------

The AMA is calling on motorcyclists nationwide to contact South Dakota

Gov. Mike Rounds and South Dakota Attorney General Larry Long, and to urge

them to seek justice in the case of U.S. Rep. Bill Janklow (R-S.D.), who

was involved in a collision that took the life of a motorcyclist last

Saturday.

Go to:

http://capwiz.com/amacycle/home/

Then click on "Action Alert 08/22/03 - Write Now! Express Your Concern

About the South Dakota Crash Investigation"

click here for link

KPaulCook 08-22-2003 11:41 AM

What the letter from the AMA says

August 22, 2003

[recipient address was inserted here]

Dear [recipient name was inserted here],

I am a concerned motorcyclist, and I would like to add my support to the

position of the American Motorcyclist Association regarding the crash

involving U.S. Rep. Bill Janklow and motorcyclist Randolph Scott that

occurred on August 16, 2003.

As you know, police reports indicate that Rep. Janklow was traveling 70

mph to 75 mph on a county road that had a 55 mph speed limit, and that he

failed to stop for a stop sign, resulting in a crash that killed

motorcyclist Randolph Scott of Hardwick,
Minnesota. Moody County State's

Attorney William Ellingson, who would handle any prosecution, has not yet

indicated what charges will be filed, but issued a statement promising a

full examination of the accident.

I trust that you will do everything in your power to ensure that this

tragic crash receives a fair and thorough investigation, and that

appropriate charges are filed based on the outcome of that investigation.

I added the bold font for emphasis