Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 08-18-2003, 06:22 PM   #11
buckfifty
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcyclist killed by congressman

Last year was a bad year for motorcyclists in my home town of Madison, Wisconsin. For a month or so there was a nasty heat wave, and hardly a day went by without the words "hit and run", "drunk driver" and "motorcyclist killed" on the evening news. Cars got more and more beligerent on the road as their occupants tried to get where they were going without roasting or sweating through their clothes.

All this registered somewhere in the back of my mind, but I didn't think much of it. Then, driving home from work one evening, as I'm rounding a turn maybe five block from my house, a car runs the stop sign. He skidded. I skidded. He missed me. Close call. What did hit me was his reaction. He cursed at me, called me every name in the book as I sat on my bike in front of him. In his eyes, this almost accident was my fault. I was the crazy one for riding a bike. More than a little shaken, I rode the rest of the way home.

The next day, I drove my car to work. As the summer progressed into fall, I found myself riding less and less. I'd get on my bike, but something was missing. I found myself watching everyone on the road a little closer. I found myself wondering if today's the day I become a statistic. I saw that braying ass in every driver. Riding wasn't fun anymore.

I'd like to say that eventually I got over it, but this year, the bike stayed under it's cover almost all summer. I wish it was different, but every time I the evening news tells me about another biker getting killed, I just think of the reaction of that driver. In their eyes, it's our fault.
buckfifty is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2003, 08:10 PM   #12
Duken4evr
Founding Member

The congressman had a stop sign, the biker did not.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:13 PM   #13
Duken4evr
Founding Member

If someone had the nerve to do that to me, I would beat the sh*t out of him, plain and simple.

Not the responsible thing to do, but it would literally be strikinug a blow for motorcyclists everywhere.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:30 PM   #14
wolf2600
Founding Member

"I think he should lose his license."

I think he should do some jail time. In the article, it says from 90-94 he got 12 speeding tickets, then while he was governer, none?

Clear abuse of power.
wolf2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 10:01 PM   #15
runner00
Founding Member

Ride where deer are more of a problem then people. Try it. I live 30 miles from nyc and must go thru nyc to get to nice riding areas. So I know what you are talking about. The escape from the overly competitive drivers is an absolute joy. I think your rides are trying to tell you something.

Learn to listen to your ride. The joy of riding can rarely be found in congested areas. Remember this is not about transportation. It's about your soul rising to the surface thru all the protection mechanism that are neccessary in this day in and day out world.

Riding is a science and a religion that requires active participation using your mind and soul.

Also it sounds as if you left before you knew if he was going to stop or not. When you ride you ride according to the laws of physics not the laws of the men who break them.

Take a deep breath. Know what you are doing.

runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 12:35 AM   #16
layback
Founding Member

You know He never stopped his careless driving as Governer, but most police won't give a Governer a ticket. like someone said earlier, sad......very sad
layback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 12:44 AM   #17
stormcloud
Founding Member

Oh? Not in thed article I 'linked' to.

Must be other articles around with more info.

Cheers.

stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 12:46 AM   #18
stormcloud
Founding Member

Oh? Not in thed article I 'linked' to.

Must be other articles around with more info.

Cheers.

Old 08-19-2003, 12:47 AM   #19
stormcloud
Founding Member

oops, above is posted in wrong place.

Sorry

Old 08-19-2003, 02:06 AM   #20
leach7
Registered Member

I sincerely hope that some South Dakota legislator does not come up with the "Randolph Scott Memorial Mandatory Helmets for all Motorcyclists" bill. We should all be following this story very closely.
leach7 is offline   Reply With Quote