Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 07-07-2003, 06:06 AM   #21
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Dorothy, you're not in Kansas anymore

Good advice. I too sometimes use cars as blockers/shields.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2003, 07:43 AM   #22
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Timmy's wheelchair got jacked

Excellent points. "To tell the truth, the demand on my wits to be better than they are is one of the big attractions of motorcycling" For me too.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:54 AM   #23
obandoj
Founding Member

You my boy blew it on two counts, you shoud have assumed that somebody was going to blow that red light and second, you should have called the police, now the chances of getting your bike fixed are very remote, you are in LA not in Kansas any more. Oh well, to be young and stupid
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:59 AM   #24
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Call the cops? Maybe when he was in Pocatello...

I used to live in LA. For 6 misspent years. And I wonder how long it takes for the cops to show up at a fenderbender with no injuries. My bet is on longer than even the aggrieved party is willing to wait.

KPaul, you live in Seattle, where I live now. I once waited an hour for the police to come to an accident at the corner of Brooklyn and 50th in the U District. Busy, intersection, right? Both parties (the other party was at fault) finally gave up, exchanged data, and left.

Now oddly enough, I also lived in Pocatello, Idaho (did you enjoy Pocatello, Tim? you probably met the only sportbike rider in town!). Now there's a burg where the cops don't have much to do. Tim's accident would have had multiple squad cars.

I guess my point is that in big cities where the police have better things to do (or at least act like they do) than sort out routine accidents, the disposable camera seems like the silver bullet. What a great idea....and my R1 has a little storage locker in the tail section just that size.

I guess my other point is hey, MOfos, stop dissin' Timmy for not calling the cops. He was there, he made the call, and best of all he's still able to exercise the MO test fleet. With the SV in the shop, he's gonna have to take the Tuono tonight...or maybe the GSXR 1000....
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:25 AM   #25
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

::I'm biting my tongue::
Old 07-07-2003, 12:02 PM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Save yourself the aggravation and don't even go there Sean.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 01:00 PM   #27
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Call the cops? Maybe when he was in Pocatello...

Hey if he went down you call the cops period. I don't care where you live.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:25 PM   #28
KPaulCook
Banned

OK bring it on. I thought I would be nice and agree with BuzLightYear for a change and then Sean makes a chicken ass remark like this. How's the racing career?
Old 07-07-2003, 10:50 PM   #29
kawazuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Dorothy, you're not in Kansas anymore

Everyone runs red lights. Somtimes it's 4 or 5 cars after the red light in L.A.

The issue, of course, is the lack of protected lefts. Since there's never a turn arrow, and the turning cars never truly have the right of way, there isn't any time to make a turn, except after the oncoming traffic stops moving, at the newly red light. Or, I suppose, if there's no oncoming traffic. (*giggle* *snort*) Not that this makes running red lights correct, but it does tend to make it a fact of life, and thus something to learn to deal with if'n you want to survive.

The other good suggestion I can give is to buy a dual-sport / dirtbike. I don't live in LA, so I have only a few trips' worth of experience, but my friend Bryan swears the only reason he survived LA traffic on 2-wheels is because he could join the pedestrians on the sidewalk when someone just had to share his lane.

Good luck Starfighter!

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 04:54 AM   #30
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Actually NO Fault makes sense.

True enough, but it has been my experience that conversion to no-fault raises motorcycle insurance rates dramatically.