Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 06-26-2003, 02:20 PM   #11
Fangit
Founding Member

Default Re: MORons in France!

Look Americans are so dam immature with this anti-French BS. Just because they dare to decide something on their own and not go along with the US. And it wasn't like they were the only ones. China and Russia were going to veto and almost every other country was against the invasion of Iraq so it was in fact the US that was the odd one out here. Why is there no anti-China or anti-Russian backlash. Lets see all you gutless bandwagon jumpers boycott all Chinese products then. You'd have to dump half of everything you own.

So what if the French had an oil deal and so what if that swayed their decision. Do you think it was better to invade a country on false pretenses and waste billions of dollars, countless lives in the process so that the US could control all the oil or for France to push for a peaceful resolution to retain their contracts?

Captainwhoopass, so they found a couple of centrifuges and a few parts left over from a nuke program. Big effin deal!!! We all know they had WMDs before the Gulf War. Until they find large stores of readily deployable weapons this whole war excersize was a big effin con job and we should all be ashamed of ourselves.

And if you now believe the liberation BS rational that they now are telling us was the reason all along, ask yourself why we won't be invading North Korea, Iran, Indonesia, Libya and countless other repressive regimes in the near future?
Fangit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2003, 03:16 PM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

Oh crap. There are enough people here already!
Old 06-26-2003, 05:55 PM   #13
Mr_Bigglesworth
Founding Member

I worked as a consultant to open a new H-D dealership in Nice in 1995. That area is motorcycle paradise - great twisty roads along the coast, superhighway access to the rest of Europe, great scenery, awesome food and wine, gorgeous topless women on the beaches... Why the hayul did I ever come back to the States?

That said, these guys should do pretty well as long as they work the package vacation program.
Mr_Bigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 06:01 PM   #14
kowalke67
Founding Member

Because the majority of those countless other regimes don't pose the same level of threat Iraq posed. And, you pick your battles one at a time and the situation dictates how to handle different threats. North Korea- different situation, different threat, different means to handle it (funny how the Russians and the Chinese are all for having the U.S. beat up Kim Jong II). The pretense for the war was never liberation and it isn't now. It was always WMD and not large stores of readily deployable ones either. It was to prevent any quantity of chemical weapon being distributed to a terrorist organization. Do you remember some event that happened, oh say around, September 11th? Terrorists don’t need an army or a large store of readily deployable WMD’s to do the kind of damage the war was meant to help prevent. Big effin deal they had a couple centrifuges? It is a big deal because 1. They are illegal according to Iraq's commitment to the NPT 2. They cost millions of dollars to acquire and can take over 10 years to develop (if you miss the point here it means the are millions of dollars and ten years closer to the goal of developing a nuke) 3. It is in violation of the original Gulf War Treaty and UN imposed sanctions (that your buddies France, Germany, China, and Russia seem to have forgot they agreed to help enforce). The scientist who revealed these items basically said there is plenty more where that came from (buried in the Iraqi dirt) and other Iraqi’s in the know are still currently to scared to speak out. There is anti Russia, China, and Germany backlash but France is the one who said they would veto the final resolution the US put forth- w/o even reviewing it (they vetoed one before it before the Iraqi's did). France was belligerent and infantile in the Iraqi war debate. That’s why they received the majority of the backlash. There was plenty of opposition to Chirac and Schröder in their respective countries but the liberal rags in the U.S. chose not to print a view different to what they believe.

The U.S. and our government are far from perfect and our history has its share of black marks. But, it is leaps and bounds ahead of any other country or government that exists today or has ever existed when it comes to improving world relations. ItÂ’s people like you who choose to condemn and ridicule instead contribute that slow us down. You continue to be ashamed of yourself and the country and government that give you a higher standard of living, more freedom, and is more honestly focused on achieving positive world wide relationships with other countries than any other country or government in the history of the world. DonÂ’t speak for me. Now, I need to get on my BMW and ride over to SamÂ’s, pick up a good bottle of Bordeaux, and come home and order in some Chow Mein.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:12 PM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Well, at least Saddam's torture chambers are out of business.

Somehow I suspect you weren't so tough on Clowntoons idiotic bombing camaigns.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:08 PM   #16
aknopak
Founding Member

Maybe if you hid it in your mouth...

aknopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 03:05 AM   #17
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Or maybe if I hid it up your.......
Old 06-27-2003, 06:02 AM   #18
Fangit
Founding Member

Default Grow up and get over it, will ya!

Please explain to me how North Korea with its fully developed nuclear program and nuclear missile capability is less of a threat than Iraq with a couple of broken down old centrifuges and some junk left over from their old weapons programs.

You might still think WMDs were the issue, but in case you hadnÂ’t noticed, Bush and all the leaders of the "coalition of the willing" are now playing down the WMDs as the rational for the war and pushing the "liberation" justification.

You seriously think the war was to "prevent any quantity of chemical weapon being distributed to a terrorist organization"? Well you kind of shoot yourself in the foot since as you rightly claim, Sept 11 demonstrated that terrorists donÂ’t need an army or a large store of readily deployable WMDs. There is more evidence that the US and Japan is allowing chemical weapons to get into the hands of terrorists than from countries like Iraq. Remember the recent anthrax mailings and the subway gassings in Japan? By your standards maybe it is we that need to be invaded to replace our government with one that doesnÂ’t collude with terrorists?

You have a nerve talking about other countries violating treaties and the rulings of the UN. The US is renown for its "belligerent and infantile" behavior when it comes to treaties and the UN. Anytime the US canÂ’t get what it wants through the UN it attacks it and uses itÂ’s power to threaten its very existence. France (like 80% of the people in the world) was adamant that there was no imminent threat (which was true) and that the weapons inspectors should be given more time. Russia said it was going to veto too and China was a certainty also. I canÂ’t believe this asinine grudge held against the French. They did not agree with the US. They made up their own minds. They held out against US power and influence unlike some other countries. You donÂ’t dump a friend just because you have a difference of opinion. Get over it for chrissakes!

You say "ItÂ’s people like you who choose to condemn and ridicule instead contribute that slow us down. You continue to be ashamed of yourself and the country and government that give you a higher standard of living, more freedom, and is more honestly focused on achieving positive world wide relationships with other countries than any other country or government in the history of the world. DonÂ’t speak for me."

Firstly, whatever gave you the idea I was professing to speak for you or anyone else? Be proud of the Bush administration all you want, but it never ceases to amaze me this argument that because I enjoy freedom and prosperity I should be ashamed that I question, condemn or ridicule my government. This is the cornerstone of a true democracy, my friend. As Thomas Jefferson said, "The price of liberty is eternal vigilance." Many people in this country seem to have this idea that the most important thing in life is attaining the highest standard of living you can, even more so than how you attain it. Just make sure you turn a blind eye to what is going on, so you can avoid feeling guilty. Very sad.

Oh give me a break will ya! Mr. Bush has just about done the worst possible job anyone could do to achieve "positive world wide relationships". Have you read the recent polls? Since the Iraq invasion almost every other country in the world now thinks weÂ’re a bigger threat to world peace than any other country or terrorist organization. This includes the vast majority of our western allies!!!

Fangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 10:53 AM   #19
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Whoa, whoa! I wasn't implying that this was justification- I honestly don't know that much about nuclear weapon construction. I was curious if anyone else could shed some non-Washington PR bull***** light on the subject, that's all.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:02 AM   #20
rsheidler
Founding Member

While I admit to having had reservations over the invasion of Iraq, I am VERY happy to see Saddam out of power, and would be a lot happier to see confirmation that he is dead.

My point was that the publicly stated reasons for the invasion are now at least questionable, and the administration is quickly backpedaling on that as having been the reason for the invasion.

Regards

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote