Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 06-27-2003, 05:45 AM   #41
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default you didn't answer my question

i just asked a simple question. and i can't help but notice you didn't answer. so i'll ask again:

did you kill the story or not?

despite your posturing and name calling i'm sure that calmer heads prevailed and that you did the RIGHT THING. so ... what did you do?

i've been a reader long enough to expect the name calling and the editorial pissing contest. but what amazes me is that you created a whole discussion thread dedicated to your mistake. do you also have a "kick me" sign on your arse?
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2003, 05:47 AM   #42
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default it appears i owe you an apology, ross ...

i have not seen IANAL before. i thought it was some sort of insult; i was wrong. the abbreviation we always use in connection with lawyers is "FTA."

best,

-gary
Old 06-27-2003, 06:48 AM   #43
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default I agree, you aren't

I don't attack, I respond. Your response that was full of falsehoods and outright lies, was your undoing. Maybe if you actually read and understood what took place you may have not even said anything. Maybe if you know what you were talking about things would have gone better. Such a shame for a 20 year vet. Time to retire maybe? It's funny that I didn't copy and paste copyrighted material either. Does that make me as smart as you? I hope not. You got what you gave. Next time, if your going to talk shyt, try to actually back it up.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:53 AM   #44
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default you still didn't answer my question ....

did you kill the story or not? are you going to answer this basic question, which gets at the crux of your argument.

my original post, which you claim is full of falsehood and lies, was that i don't blame the guy for being pissed off. i still don't blame him. it's pretty clear that he is dealing with a team of hacks.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:15 AM   #45
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Minnesota Attacks!

You will note that dumphuk doesn't say that he HAS an IQ above 165, he says that he BOASTS of an IQ of over 165 -- just like I might boast about having a schlong of over 10" -- wishfull thinking!

Bob (IQ UNDER 165)

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:33 AM   #46
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default You didn't have a question, so lets see

Your post:

"jb ... put yourself in THEIR position. if they had copied and pasted a MO road test, how would YOU like it."

I already said they don't give a shyt. There are many sites I found that have done so. Labusas.com was one along with others. So, point #1 was taken care of. You never heard MO posting about it. If they were worried about it, they would handle in private. Ever see an article here about MO being copied? Case closed.

"i know of no online pub that cuts and pastes entire articles."

I can link you to many.

In fact, the place I GOT IT wasn't amasuperbike.com, get it? Are we clear on that? THEY copied it too but somehow WE got called out. There are plenty of places that do the same thing, and nobody really cares.

"you can, however, use properly attributed summations and quotes. then, if you want, offer a LINK to the entire article, at the web site of the originator."

It was properly attributed to the author and linked at the same time. Type in amasuperbike.com and go look. Even you could do that I bet. Articles are repreinted with credit all the time. Please stop playing stupid on that one.

"to do what you did is pure plagiarism. sorry, dude. internet publishing 101."

First, it wasn't plagiarism, which was a lie. The backhanded "internet publishing 101" was for my benefit? No attack there, right?

So, to sum up your "original" post, nobody gives a shyt if a road test was copied, as it's happened before. There are plenty of sites that do this EVERY DAY. The piece was credited to the source and linked also. Your last statement was a blatent falsehood and a slap in the face. If we are really a "team of hacks" then what are you doing here? I would say the hack is you. Everything you said has been bullshyt, from the plagiarism, to the Times situation, to the "poor me got attacked" crybaby attitude. If you don't blame him, that's your bag. Don't come here lying and insulting and then demanding answers to something you obviously don't understand.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:42 AM   #47
rsheidler
Founding Member

I agree that Dean is way oversensitive. However he IS right -- although probably overreacting.

As an example of his (or perhaps his webmaster's) oversensitivity, several months ago, he posted an interview with Nicky Hayden in a series of installments over several days. I thought they were good, so I wrote and submitted a news article here which LINKED (not copied) each of the installments. The submission was posted, but a few hours later, one of my friends here (I know, hard to believe that I have friends) informed me that my links were broken -- or more accurately, went to the wrong place. He posted the correct links. A few hours later, those links no longer worked. Clearly Dean, or the webmaster, did not want MO linking to his story and kept changing the address to block this.

Linking to other on-line articles is standard practice in the e-zine business (see Microsoft's Slate Magazine for example) and most people welcome having their stories linked -- dramatically increases the number of hits your story gets, and probably generates many more regular visitors. On the other hand, copying the entire article, or significant portions of the article, with or without giving credit, is theft of intellectual property. If all the interesting stories from AMASuperbike are posted here, a significant number of people might never visit his site, reducing his hits, and reducing his ad revenue. As opposed to LINKING to his article which INCREASES his hits and his ad revenue.

When sites such as Soup, RRW etc post press releases, I have no qualms about copying and pasting the text (so long as I am sure that the exact text IS from the press release) -- although usually I will try find the original (eg from the manufacturers' site) rather than copying from the Soup or RRW, etc site.

In this case, most of the substance of the story was also posted on many other sites -- the story itself was not the original work of AMASuperbike but the specific text was. Technically, he is justified in objecting.

I think we (all of us who post news here) need to be a bit more careful of copyright law and basic journalistic ethics (is this an oxymoron?) and Dean needs to lighten up (an e-mail to MO, JB or longride would have been a more appropriate response).

Regards

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:47 AM   #48
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default at last, the voice of reason ...

thanks, bob. would you mind if i dealt with YOU from now on? your post is right on the money.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:06 AM   #49
sarnali
Founding Member

Typical psudo-intellectual pompous dunderhead, I don't actually know my IQ, however it's proven to be high enough to allow me a nice upper middle class lifestyle with minimal formal education. It's been my experiance that those who talk the most, know the least, that puts you with your boastfull "165 IQ" in the "can't-pour-*****-out-of-a-boot" catagory. Maybe you should post on Densa instead?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 09:18 AM   #50
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default you misspelled "blatant."