Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 06-26-2003, 02:07 PM   #31
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default you should try to remain calm ...

you're a paid professional, after all. keep your wits about you, man. no need for personal attacks.

let's rationally analyze the facts, shall we?

what happened at the NY times was different, granted. but similar, too. the main event leading up to the recent resignations of howell raines and gerald boyd was that one of their principal staff writers stopped reporting. apparently, so did you. the difference is he started fabricating and you started appropriating copyrighted material. plagiarism is probably the wrong word, and for that i apologize. let's call it theft of intellectual property. i hope that makes you feel better.

yeah, i subscribed. sent you money. i held that out as evidence that MO is a commercial enterprise, and as such is obliged to respect copyright law. actually even non-commercial sites are bound by these laws, but lawyers frequently don't bother going after low-budget mom & pop sites that are published for fun.

in closing let me just say how sorry i am that i do not meet your standards for journalistic knowledge. i shall try to redouble my efforts so that i, too, can gain employment at a leading publication like MO.

oh, and one more thing. in your original post you said:

"I guess you dont' get around much."

i believe the apostrophe in "don't" has been misplaced. i am honored in the extreme to have this chance to correct a true master scribe such as yourself. might i suggest a good spell checker for future editorial masterpieces?

all the best ...
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2003, 02:17 PM   #32
rossbiker
Founding Member

Default Re: i don't get around much?

Wow. Over your head and still digging. Plagiarism is the fault of claiming authorship to something written by another. Didn't happen here.

IANAL. While it seems likely that longride's news posting does not fall under fair use doctrine, and may therefore be an infrigement of copyright, the correct attribution and linking of the article back to the (most recent) source would seem to minimize any possible harm. In any case, the best response would have been a polite request to remove the offending material usually with an explanation of how they would prefer referrals to their content handled in the future. Looks like they lost all claim to being a "class act" in this case.

Finally, it's nothing like what happened at the NY Times, or didn't you read the CNN article explaining what happened there?

Well, at least it's nice to see a journalist who knows one definition of ethical, even if it is a particularly lightweight definition...

Regards,

Ross
rossbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 02:32 PM   #33
ValkBandit
Registered Member

i agree with you about the "best possible response." but i don't think that was the issue, was it?

regarding the parallel with the NY times, please refer to my previous post.

i apologize for my lightweight definition of "ethical." it's a shame that you have not even cleared the hurdle when it was set very low.

IANAL? are you insulting me? the last resort of a failed debate?

bottom line: are you going to keep the stolen article up or are you going to kill it? if the latter i don't understand why you are arguing. you have already lost.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:23 PM   #34
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Minnesota Attacks!

Threatening someone on the internet is a felony now.

So much for your IQ.

Staff, report this guy to the FBI, please.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:27 PM   #35
seruzawa
The Toad

Jeeeez. Talk about a tempest in a teapot.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:38 PM   #36
jng1226
Founding Member

The direction this thread has taken in the last 20 posts epitomizes the complete degeneration of this website. Personal attacks, blatant ignorance and a general pall of unprofessionalism and immaturity permeates every "discussion" and thread here.

How do I cancel my subscription? Can I get a pro-rated refund? I don't want to support this environment in any way, and I've been a supporter since the beginning (I mean since 1998 or thereabouts).

JB - I never understood why you came on board in the first place, but I certainly see why you're leaving. I won't be coming back either. The quality of participation here actually gives me a bad feeling about motorcycling's direction in general, which is a horrible thought.

Where did all the educated, secure people interested in engaging each other about motorcycles go? I bid you Adieu.
jng1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 03:21 AM   #37
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Another joke right?

If all you can come back with is this, it was a very poor effort. Gee, I misplaced an apostrophe. Sorry, I only allow 2 minutes to reply to idiots. Next time, you do the spell checking, because I don't take the time replying to bullshyt, and I just love rippin' stupid people. It was never his copyright to begin with. Maybe you missed that point too. The lawyers would have a fun time with this, considering he stole the info from two other sources. The story was already all over the Internet. The Times problem was, he took material that wasn't his, and attributed it to himself. I never did that either. I guess you missed that part looking for spelling errors. I guess if MO hired you they could expect someone that certainly doesn't know shyt about publishing, copyrights, or much of anything else. I guess you could be a spell checker, but with your track record, I bet you would f&ck that up too. The funniest part about this is, a guy with supposedly 20 years in the business could be this stupid. Really, it's a miracle. Maybe you are what's been wrong with the business all along. I'd bet on that.

All the best back at ya........
Old 06-27-2003, 03:27 AM   #38
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Ross Don't Bother

Ross, you can't argue with genius. We have a 20 year publishing vet that doesn't know the definition of plagiarism, connnects this to a situation that has NOTHING to do with this one, and somehow manages to claim victory through it all. How can you argue with that?
Old 06-27-2003, 04:34 AM   #39
jmoore813
Registered Member

IANAL=I Am Not A LAwyer
jmoore813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 05:38 AM   #40
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default i may not be a genius, but ....

i may not be a MENSA candidate but I know not to copy and paste copyrighted material. that's pretty basic, isn't it?

oh, and don't sweat the apostrophe thing. i'm sure the bigger contractions have been giving you fits for years. especially when you're on deadline. by the way ... what's your quota per day of paying readers to attack?