Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-31-2003, 06:32 AM   #81
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: KPaul's helmet law.

Whoa! Time out! Leave the politics out. We don't need to open that door. It gets out of hand too fast.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2003, 07:21 AM   #82
Eddyirish
Founding Member

Default Re: Why not wear a helmet?

Im sure the guy is well intended & anyone who has rode without a helmet has had a taste of bugs or other such road debris.

The helmet doesn't bother me.
Eddyirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 07:25 AM   #83
micty
Founding Member

Default Hardtop vs. convertible

That's how my friend explained it to me. He's an older guy, and a very experienced rider. He said he would prefer to ride helmetless because of the sense of freedom already alluded to in this thread. He compared it to riding a convertible compared to a hardtop.
micty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 07:29 AM   #84
zx-6r_maniac
Founding Member

this is the stupidest of all discussions.

Wear your goddamn helmet!and make it a full face one. If it isnt the law where you live, it will be soon. If you dont like helmet laws, fine. Die a moron. I do not CARE. Our society will not miss idiots like you.
zx-6r_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 07:46 AM   #85
micty
Founding Member

I agree with your statements. To answer Vince's and Seruzawa's questions about your latter statements, I think the difference is whether the type of activity involved (together with its associated costs as well as benefits) has been accepted by society or not. If society has accepted motorcycling, skiing, etc., then it should be willing to shoulder the cost of hospital bills etc. associated with those activities. Conversely, if society is not willing to shoulder the cost of the activity, then it can make the activity illegal.

So, when laws prohibit helmetless riding , it's implicitly a decision by society to reject the cost of helmetless riding. Therefore, if helmetless riding is illegal in a certain state, the people of that state should not have to bear the actual or potential cost of helmetless riding.

Indeed, I believe there is proposed legislation somewhere (maybe California??) to allow helmetless riding if the rider has proof of financial responsibility for a minimum $ amount (I think $1 million). That legislation is equivalent to a conditional acceptance of the activity.
micty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 08:24 AM   #86
KPaulCook
Banned

Default If you want to be an idiot fine

But don't expect the rest of us to pay for your folly (not wearing a full face helmet) in the form of higher insurance premiums for motorcyclists. If you can't do the time (injury in this case) don't do the crime (ride without a helmet). Politics has nothing to do with it. Personal responsibility does.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 08:29 AM   #87
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Economics for dummies: Two words

Insurance premiums. Taxes has nothing to do with it.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 09:29 AM   #88
Betamax
Founding Member

Yah, the sixties were good to Richard Evans and he penned a song. That doesn't make it true, nor does it make it a viable philosophy to base life-impacting decisions upon. Grab a brain.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 09:46 AM   #89
Kuba
Founding Member

No wish to appear heartless, but just curious. If the guy had been riding 15 years and hadn't learnt the basics, methinks he'd better stick to a cage.
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 09:49 AM   #90
Kuba
Founding Member

... or an HD
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote