Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-31-2003, 12:06 AM   #71
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: Why not wear a helmet?

Why don't people wear a helmet? The same reason people smoke cigarettes...they don't think it's going to happen to them. Statistics are what happens to other people.

To quote from the Hurt Report summary: "53% simply had no expectation of accident involvement"

You see, they didn't wear a helmet because they didn't expect to have an accident. There's a certain kind of logic to it. Unfortunately, they don't seem to understand that accidents are by definition accidental...

The young and the dumb think they're invincible; they're self-centered and they lack the imagination to see that they're not the center of the universe, that guardian angels aren't looking out for them, and that they could possibly die a meaningless animal's death without fanfare.

When I was young, I smoked cigarettes and sometimes rode without a helmet (illegally). Now I do neither. Now I'm older and wise enough to realize that I'm subject to the same random chance that intrudes upon and sometimes ruins or even ends the lives of others. I'm mortal and I can end my life as another meaningless, anonymous statistic, just like anyone else....
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2003, 04:37 AM   #72
George99S3T
Founding Member

I bought my first Harley this year a Road King. I still own several sportbikes. I wear my helment and gear on the RK as well. It is funny to see other HD riders react most don't wave, and the sportbike guys, most don't wave . What I am having trouble with it the Motor Cops waving, or getting "The Nod", NEVER have that happen on my ZX12 or 929.

I have, a few times gone without a helment on late night rides not over 25 30 mph. Warm evening its nice, but not for me.
George99S3T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 04:46 AM   #73
George99S3T
Founding Member

Default Re: KPaul's helmet law.

Other than sounding like a cold hearted prick.

Or another republican, You would punish the riders family? They lose all to pay for medical care? Or most likely the taxpayers would pay at a county hospital. Yeah thats cheaper!!
George99S3T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 05:53 AM   #74
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Below is the song that says where we are headed unless we can keep the though police for regulating everything from helmets to when I can or can't take a crap. Regardless, this song is pretty neat and thought provoking. Enjoy, Kpaul.

Zager and Evans

"In The Year 2525 (Exordium & Terminus)"

Reached #1 07-12-69 on the Billboard Charts

In the year 2525

If man is still alive

If woman can survive

They may find........

In the year 3535

Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lies

Everything you think, do, or say

Is in the pill you took today

In the year 4545

Ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes

You won't find a thing to chew

Nobody's gonna look at you

In the year 5555

Your arms are hanging limp at your sides

Your legs got nothing to do

Some machine, doing that for you

In the year 6565

Ain't gonna need no husband, won't need no wife

You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too

From the bottom of a long glass tube

In the year 7510

If God's a comin' he ought to make it by then

Maybe he'll look around himself and say

``Guess it's time for the Judgement day''

In the year 8510

God's gonna shake his mighty head

He'll either say ``I'm pleased where man has been''

Or tear it down and start again

In the year 9595

I'm kinda wondering if man's gonna be alive

He's taken everything this old earth can give

And he ain't put back nothing...

Now it's been 10,000 years

Man has cried a billion tears

For what he never knew

Now man's reign is through

But through the eternal night

The twinkling of starlight

So very far away

Maybe it's only yesterday...

In the year 2525

If man is still alive

If woman can survive

They may find.......

Written by Richard Evans

Produced by Denny Zager and Richard Evans

Released 1969

Pic taken from Concert Posters.com

Midi found from unknown source
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 06:02 AM   #75
Tom_Glassen
Founding Member

Whole heartedly agree...aside from safety it's just a whole lot more comfortable with a full face helmet. On many rides in the summer at least one good size bug ricochets off my face plate and I can't help but wonder how that would've felt if it was my face. In winter when I'm chilly in my helmet, I can't understand how it could be enjoyable to ride with your bare face and bald or haired head in that chill factor.
Tom_Glassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 06:11 AM   #76
ValknMag
Founding Member

Oracle: Ohh, what's really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you still have been in the accident if you hadn't delayed your departure by putting on the helmet?
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 06:11 AM   #77
Tom_Glassen
Founding Member

Default Re: Give me a break.

Yes, life is a series of risks and, yes, those who take the risks have the right (or should have) to make the decisions that affect their safety. That said, it's still a good idea to discuss these issues for the benefit of others. Fact is, not everyone appreciates the risks of not wearing a helment just as not all riders understand how to properly brake into a curve. Nothing wrong with educating our fellow riders.

There is another point brought up here that is, I think, to often forgotten. It's not just dying that's worth avoiding. I'm sure there are all sorts of spills where one wouldn't die because you're not wearing a helmet but you will be injured. I experienced a low speed fall a few years ago that left a silver dollar size abrasion on the chin area of my full face helment. With no helmet or an open face helmet I certainly wouldn't have died, but I'm sure I would have lost a good deal of skin from chin and maybe a couple of teeth. I'm damn glad to have had the helmet take it instead.
Tom_Glassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 06:16 AM   #78
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default KPaul

Sounds like you know it all dude. Chances are you were still sucking hind titty when I was riding cross country while in the Marine Corps. My, my, 34 miles round trip, why that should get you ready for Iron Butt initiation. As for your hating the Cornhuskers, who cares. Next time a car changes lanes on you or you are in a car and fail to see the bike when you change lanes you'll wish you had been just a few seconds either way of that moment. Life is all a matter of timing. Just think about it before you whip back at me.
Old 05-31-2003, 06:30 AM   #79
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Tax payers pay. Crock!

We motorcyclist are 1% of the population. Those without insurance are probably at most only 10% of the 1%. Those of you who have bought into the argument of tax payers footing the bill for uninsured bikers are just not thinking clearly. When I was in the Marines back in 75 to 79 we went out training and shot hundreds of Motar rounds that cost $50 per round. Tax payers payed for that everyday. This latest war we shot close to 1000 million dollar cruise missles during the "Shock and Awe" debacle. Tax payers footed that bill. Yet I always hear about the un-helmeted rider being a big drain on tax payers. Come on, this is the weakest thing I have ever heard and I'm tired of hearing this Insurance Industry lie. And you motorcyclist that have believed this are now informed.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:20 AM   #80
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Cha-Ching! Another victim.

Congratulations! You've just been sucked into the blackhole of KPaul's Universe of Circular Logic.

Don't feel bad. It happens to all of us.