Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO vs. World (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/)
-   -   Why not wear a helmet? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-vs-world/1891-why-not-wear-helmet.html)

jibosch 05-30-2003 12:45 PM

Re: Why not wear a helmet?

I like KPauls Insurance 'Rules'. I believe that People have the right to choose whether They wear a Helmet or not. But They do not have the right to make the rest of Society, pay for their decision. Many Motorcyclist do not carry the necessary Insurance to pay even for a minor fall. Neither do most Automobile Drivers, for that matter. The $ 10,000 Bodily Injury Limit in FL, where I am from, is an absurdity - and that is only if You are not wearing a Helmet! That should be good for 15 minutes at a Hospital! I would rather see Legislation that requires Insurance Coverage, instead-of Head Coverage - this protects Motorcyclists' Right-to-chose, and also limits Their Negative Economic Impact and guarantees Them Quality Emergency Care after-the-fall.

seruzawa 05-30-2003 12:47 PM

The history of dealing with safety-nazis shows the futility of giving even a single inch.

Just ask the smokers.

imported_g_k 05-30-2003 12:47 PM

Re: Give me a break.

An additional point about the helmet debate is the protection they provide for normal (non-crashing) riding. I've had bugs, pebbles, grit, hunks of asphalt and God-knows what else hit the front of my full-face helmet often enough over the years that I wear one just about all the time (my one exception is when I ride to the coin-op car wash a block away; whenever I do, I feel vulnerable, even at around 45mph). I'd hate to feel the impact of some of the bugs that have splattered on my face shield.

I agree with the personal-responsibility point of view, though - I feel that riding a motorcycle exposes me to dangers that I don't have to deal with when I drive a car. Wearing a helmet seems to increase my (perceived) level of safety, but helmets don't change riding from an unsafe to a safe activity - they just (potentially) increase our chances (IMHO).

ebass 05-30-2003 12:47 PM

Ahh, the glory days!

I will always cherish my status as one of the last of the last to experience the bliss of cruising SoCals legendary routes "sans chapeau", wild and free. Sunset Boulevard from the Ocean to the Strip. Malibu's PCH. The canyons of Topanga and Agoura Hills. I get high just thinking about it. . . or maybe it was that phat blunt I just smoked. Be that as it may, I remain staunchly pro-helmet, and anti-helmet law.

This is America, where every man is guaranteed the unalienable right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. If that includes some risk-taking behavior, so be it! Keep your laws off my body, fascist pigs!

EBass

McCueRC 05-30-2003 12:51 PM

Well if the rider is not wearing a helmet when they are hit on their motorcycle by the driver of the other vehicle that violates traffic laws and collides into the motorcycle then the rider is likely to become the decedent. If there is a decedent then I get to proscecute at least a manslaughter or, ocassionally, a murder, which are intrinsically interesting criminal cases. If the rider is just the guy who got up off the ground or the guy whose got hurt a little then it's probably just a traffic ticket or maybe a "just-pick-it-up-and-go try-it" misdemeanor, or, even worse, a case that will be mangled by the civil attorneys as they try to extract the maximum amount of fees.

So you could make my life more interesting and challenging by not wearing a helmet. Fortunately human nature does keep me, a mere civil servant, well supplied with interesting cases involving sharp objects and things that go bang. So it is not necessary that you not wear a helmet just to keep me amused at work. In fact I urge you to wear a helmet. I urge people to wear helmets (any helmet) since any reduction in the fatality rate will hopefully cause my friends in the medical profession to stop nagging me about commuting on a "donor cycle".

longride 05-30-2003 01:05 PM

My revised laws

My laws would be like this:

1. Helmet wearing is optional. However...

2. All new sportbikes sold must include a full face helmet.

3. If a motorcyclist is involved in an accident an insurance company must pay for all injuries and property damage (as covered by policy).If the motorcyclist was on a cruiser obeying the traffic laws.

4. If a motorcyclist is involved in an accident and is on a sportbike and speeding the insurance company is only responsible for property damage (depending on paid coverages of course).

5. If a car driver causes injury to a motorcyclist who is riding a cruiser. The car driver is responsible for the cost of the motorcyclist's injuries. If the motorcyclist was on a sportbike the car driver is only responsible for property damage.

riding cruisers will save your ass but I am not going to force you to ride one. You are idiot if you ride a sportbike.

jestr 05-30-2003 01:07 PM

Re: NHBandit69

Hmm, I believe it's kinda hard to have a blind spot when you are looking in front of you, out of the windshield. I could be entirely wrong though. Maybe the car driver was cross eyed and had a blind spot right in front of his eyes. Maybe I should go back and reread the post.

Use running lights... umm don't modern day motorcycles always have their lights on when they are running? Unless you actively get a light kill switch installed.

As for the time wasted in putting on the helmet, whcih ultimately caused him to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, I guess you are referring to fate. Since fate is deciding everything, I think I'll start riding at 100mph in school areas, crowded streets, even try to cross under the trailer of an eighteen wheeler moving at 70 on the highway. Hey, if it's not in my fate to die, everything'll be fine.

On another note, it is entirely possible that the car driver didn't see the bike coming from the opposite direction. It has happened to me, albeit at a slow speed, no flying involved, but I did hit the deck and my helmet has scratches and bruises in the chin area.

longride 05-30-2003 01:10 PM

Who the hell ever asked the rest of society to pay for my decision? You say yourself that many motorcyclists don't have proper coverage. Don't helmeted riders get hurt and die? Are they exempt? It's already been proven bu the AMA that motorcycists are not any more of a burden on society with or without a helmet. Why is ths nonsense brought up every time someone doesn't want to wear a helmet? I could make the same case against motorcycles in general that they are TOO DANGEROUS and CAUSE MORE DEATHS AND INJURIES than cars.

12er 05-30-2003 01:12 PM

Land of the free? Did I miss something? 3 words; Homeland Security Act!

longride 05-30-2003 01:13 PM

I would urge then to not drink, pay attention and not speed. Throw in a riding course for good measure and that will reduce deaths much more than slapping a piece of plastic on an idiots head.