Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-30-2003, 11:45 AM   #31
Kuba
Founding Member

Default Re: Why not wear a helmet?

Well .... 15 years experience and "He downshifted in a corner, hard, on his CBR900RR." Hmmm ... Doesn't seem to have learnt much in 15 years ...

As for helmet wearing, I always use my Shoei X-Ceed II. Partly, and for the same reason I wear leathers or quality Goretex/Cordura stuff, to minimise the side effects of going down. Which, at 43, I haven't done on road, except for some stupid stuff in my teens ...

But each to their own. I ride a bike. I go rock climbing. I have stressful job. All of these decrease my chances, I suppose. Others can make their own assessment of risk. Not for me to pass judgement.

What I would say, however, is that in summer I have to stop every 100-200 km to wash the bugs off. I'm just glad they didn't land on my face at 230 kph.

Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2003, 11:50 AM   #32
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default NHBandit69

The extra time you spent putting on that helmet almost did you in. Had you left those few seconds earlier you would have been further on down that road and no where near that same car driver when he changed lanes. You say the helmet saved your bacon. I say it put you in the path of that car. You were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Chances are you didn't do your job in letting that bone head car driver realize that you were in his blind spot. You would be further ahead riding defensively everytime you throw your leg over the bike. Stay out of blind spots and use your running lights when going through intersections to get everyones' attention.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 11:50 AM   #33
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Can't even stand the noise!

I can't stand riding at anything over 45mph in a full face WITHOUT my earplugs in. Faired/unfaired, makes no difference. I can't for any reason think of a good reason not to wear one. Rain hurts plenty at speed. I'd be squinting something fierce thru the gale and you can get that first hand by trying to ride around with the visor up.

As to riding 80+mph with just sunglasses (and not even certified shatter resistant ones) on sportbikes I see it ALL the time. In Chicago practically no sportbike rider wears a helmet. Natch those other 'bikers' don't either. An R6 blew by me this afternoon and his shades didn't come off even when he did a head check.

As a MC instructor, I obviously have reasons to celebrate when people were ALL their safety gear.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 11:58 AM   #34
EbonFlame
Founding Member

Yeah, the man had ridden his Harley (don't know the exact letter-code) for most of that 15 years, and had recently purchased the CBR before the crash. Perhaps he didn't have a feel for the difference, perhaps just for a moment he forgot his experience. I don't know. I don't think any of you will blame me for being happy I didn't watch him die.

EbonFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 12:08 PM   #35
KPaulCook
Banned

Default KPaul's helmet law.

My helmet law would be like this:

1. Helmet wearing is optional. However...

2. All new bikes sold must include a full face helmet.

3. If a motorcyclist is involved in an accident an insurance company must pay for all injuries and property damage (as covered by policy).If the motorcyclist was wearing a full face helmet.

4. If a motorcyclist is involved in an accident and does not wear a full face helmet the insurance company is only responsible for property damage (depending on paid coverages of course).

5. If a car driver causes injury to a motorcyclist who is wearing a full face helmet. The car driver is responsible for the cost of the motorcyclist's injuries. If the motorcyclist was not wearing a full face helmet the car driver is only responsible for property damage.

Full face helmets will save your ass but I am not going to force you to wear one. You are idiot if you don't wear a full face helmet.

See Page 28 of David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling for head injury statistics.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 12:14 PM   #36
KPaulCook
Banned

Default The dumbest post of all time

Congradulations electraglider_1997 you have posted the dumbest post of all time. Accidents happen that is why you wear the proper gear. My generation grew up wearing helmets. It's you Harley gray pony tail types that make us motorcyclists out to be idiots to the rest of the public. You guys wear those stupid skull cap things. Give me a break.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 12:30 PM   #37
seruzawa
The Toad

Go ahead and ski. Just don't ask the goverment to pay the tab on your massive hospital bills, disability, and support of your widow and children.

Go ahead and jetski. Just don't ask the goverment to pay the tab on your massive hospital bills, disability, and support of your widow and children.

Go ahead and eat fast food. Just don't ask the goverment to pay the tab on your massive hospital bills, disability, and support of your widow and children.

Go ahead and smoke. Just don't ask the goverment to pay the tab on your massive hospital bills, disability, and support of your widow and children.

Go ahead go on welfare. Just don't ask the goverment to pay the tab on your massive hospital bills, disability, and support of your widow and children.

If anyone should be denied such benefits it should simply be the people who don't pay into it. If you are paying for benfits or insurance then there is no right to deny them to you.

There's still the question of why the government is involved in providing these benefits at all, but the discussion would probably tax (pun intended) too many peoples' understanding of the concepts of liberty.

Old 05-30-2003, 12:36 PM   #38
DialedIN
Founding Member

Ok call me a fat head.. I'm 6'1" tall and 258 pounds, with a size 8 head. It took me forever to find a helmet to fit right. Even when the "size charts" said XXXlarge will fit a size 8, I would order it, and nope. Finaly tryed a HJC that fit perfect, but that was after loosing money selling almost new helmets on Ebay that were so tight they would make my brain swell in a half hour.

So I guess my point is, that the riders without helmets must be "Fat Heads", I wonder if that has to do with riding a motorcycle that costs 18,000 bucks.
DialedIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 12:41 PM   #39
seruzawa
The Toad

You begin to see the hypocracy of certain members of the cultural neo-fascisti of America? Women can have abortions because.... it's their body and their right to choose. But the same woman cannot smoke marijuana even though it's her body and her right to choose. She can't sell her organs even though it's her body and her right to choose. And she can't sell sex even though it's her body and her right to choose.

Have you ever noticed that the poeople who scream so loudly about "CHOICE" always seem to be the first to try to stop someone else from smoking a cigarette, or eating a french fry (excuse me, freedom fry) or telling a blonde joke or.... or... or....

Beware of people who claim to be helping you while they put you in chains. One link at a time.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:44 PM   #40
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Why ride at all??

You just don't get it do you? IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! AND WE'RE GOING TO PROTECT YOU EVEN IF WE HAVE TO KILL YOU IN THE PROCESS!

These cultural fasciti "love" everybody. Well they don't really like anybody in particular. They just love "the masses". And if they have to slaughter a few millions in order to bring about the public good, then its a small price for others besides themselves to pay.