Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 05-30-2003, 07:13 AM   #11
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: Why not wear a helmet?

I almost always wear a helmet (99% of the time). I learned the hard way to wear a full face helmet, 28 years ago, when a flat front tire washed out in a corner pasting my chin to the asphalt. I prefer to wear a helmet when I ride for comfort as much as saftey, others don't. Motorcycling itself is arguably inherently dangerous. I know of many riders with skills greater than my own that have died pursuing this passion. I will however always support anothers adults freedom of choice in making the decision of whether or not to wear a helmet. I have no interest in being told how to operate a motorcycle or how to survive on the road by those that don't know how to themselves. There is no shortage of people in this world who would like to tell others, what to eat, what to believe, how to live, think and pursue happiness etc. etc. Many believe that motorcycles are so dangerous that we need to be protected from ourselves. It's not their lives or their choices. Nobodys getting out of this thing alive, if another increases the risks to themself in the pursuit of their passion I have to support them in this.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2003, 07:13 AM   #12
chopperdog
Founding Member

Sometimes my ride has, what I perceive to be, enough risk to wear a helmet, sometimes it doesn't. If I'm riding my Harley 2 miles down an isolated country rode to a friends house, no helmet. If I'm riding 35 miles to work through freeway traffic, full face every day. Taking the dirtbike to the mailbox, no helmet. Taking the dirtbike through the woods in third gear, full face. I enjoy, and will fight for, this freedom. And I can live with others abusing this freedom, all the way to their own demise.
chopperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 07:23 AM   #13
ValknMag
Founding Member

Locust on the forehead isn't as bad as you'd think. I got that experience a couple years ago when the 17-year locusts were out in Ohio. I wear OSHA-approved shatterproof glasses when I ride, so I can't tell you how anything feels when it hits the eye. When I ride without a helmet, it's because it's 90 degrees and I won't be going fast enough to keep cool--around town or something like that. Yes, it's the most dangerous place to ride helmetless, but sweat rolling into my eyes is also bad for riding safety. And believe me, more than once I've had to limp to the side of the road to take off a glove, pull the glasses out of the helmet, and clear my eyes.
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 07:43 AM   #14
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default i'll answer that one ...

years ago when i was a young lad living in a state with no helmet law, i routinely went lidless. the motivation? it feels GREAT. there is some wind roar, yeah, but for shorter trips its quite tolerable. nothing like the wind in your hair on a warm summer's eve. (this was back when i had lots more hair than now)

now i've got a wife and a kid and i sorta feel i owe 'em the security a helmet affords them (and me). so even if there weren't a law here in california, i'd always wear one.

but i never preach, and i sure don't think the guv'ment has the right to force me.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 07:43 AM   #15
DEH4513
Founding Member

Without question: a) We should wear helmets; and b) We don't need the government to write a law on the subject.

Go ahead and ride without a helmet. Just don't ask the goverment to pay the tab on your massive hospital bills, disability, and support of your widow and children.

If you're "mature" enough to take the decision not to wear a helmet, then you're mature enough to be held financially responsible for the consequences of your decision.

DEH4513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 08:42 AM   #16
bikervince
Founding Member

While I agree with the first statement entirely, the rational of the 2nd and 3rd statements put you on a slippery slope indeed. Try this on for size:

Go ahead and ride a motorcycle. Just don't ask the goverment to pay the tab on your massive hospital bills, disability, and support of your widow and children.

If you're "mature" enough to take the decision to ride a motorcycle, then you're mature enough to be held financially responsible for the consequences of your decision.

See what I mean?
bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 08:45 AM   #17
TrackDaddy
Registered Member

Default Re: Give me a break.

Get rid of the helmet laws, I don't like having the government getting that involved in my life. And you are correct, the world is a dangerous place and there are a lot of scary things that can happen to us. I choose to wear a helmet because I believe the benefits far outweigh the inconvenience. If you are making an educated decision as an adult, good for you. Unfortunately, many of the people who don't wear helmets are not making an "educated" decision. They are relying misinformation and rhetoric.

If anyone doesn't think helmets provide protection... put on a DOT approved helmet. Hand a baseball bat to a 5 year old and have them hit you in the back of the head as hard as they can. Now, take off the helmet, and have them do it again. Notice a difference?

The choice to wear a helmet should be yours. But if you choose not to wear one... for the love of God, please make sure you fill out your organ donor card, and keep it in your wallet.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:51 AM   #18
Tigercub
Founding Member

If we don't want to be singled out as an extreme sport that requires special legislation to protect ourselves from ourselves and others then we're going to have put up with some compromise legislation - helmet laws for one. So far in California they still look the other way when we white-line. Don't rock the boat - wear a helmet and for God's sakes don't ride with obnoxiously loud pipes! That's not too much to ask.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 08:56 AM   #19
FunkyJunk
Founding Member

This thread would be interesting if people would stay on topic. The topic is not "should there be helmet laws?" The topic is "if you choose not to wear a helmet, why?" It's an honest question asked by someone who really doesn't understand the motivation. He didn't talk down to anyone or insult anyone.

I always wear a full-face helmet and live in a helmet law state, so my response can only be one of speculation. I would surmise that those who choose not to wear helmets do so because the helmet distances them from their environment. I can guess that riding without a helmet feels much more liberating than riding with one. There is probably also a tinge of rebeliousness in the decision too.

Again, I always wear a helmet and would do so even in a "choice" state, so these are simply guesses. Am I on track?
FunkyJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 09:15 AM   #20
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Give me a break.

I wonder if all those dead, helmeted riders I picked up on the streets for 19 years had their organ donor cards filled out? I never checked, but they were just as dead if they didn't. Please don't equate helmet use with not getting killed, or permanently injured, on a motorcycle. The brain in your head, and the skill you acquire, is much more important than any piece of plastic. Unless they attach brain cells to every helmet, it's just silly to depend on that to save your ass. I've outlived thousands of helmeted riders, as I don't wear one all the time. I don't think anyone ever said helmets don't provide protection, you said that. If you choose to ride a motorcycle, please have your organ donor card filled out, because helmet or not, you have a better chance of using it than any car driver, especially if you ride like a moron and depend on plastic headgear to save you from yourself.