Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 06-01-2003, 11:21 AM   #141
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: KPaul is an idiot.

Hates a strong word there jmob. Wear your helmet and let that decision rest with each individual. Since you hate me, why on earth are you worried about my head. I have no idea who you are but chances are you have things that you enjoy that others are trying to legislate away. That's different? Yea, right.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2003, 12:44 PM   #142
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: My revised laws

Follow these two for awhile and you will probably find that this was just a continuation of their sparing with longride baiting KPaul this time. They both make good points on occasion and longride IMO gets a hit more often than a strike.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 12:47 PM   #143
tanstaafl
Founding Member

Default Re: Why not wear a helmet?

thank you! unfortunately people nowadays are programmed not to take responsibility for their own actions.
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 08:21 AM   #144
gooseman_1
Founding Member

1st: There are no "REAL social welfare issues"

2nd: Assuming your # of 10,000 gun-deaths is accurate, how many of those guns used were obtained LEGALLY? Very few.

Moreover, how many of those guns were USED illegally? ALL OF THEM.

3rd: Try blaming the *criminal* users of ANY weapon instead of blaming the particalar tool they used to commit their crime.

P.S. If I kill you with a fork does that mean we need "Fork Control"

Think about it.

gooseman_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 11:53 AM   #145
theinnkeeper
Founding Member

I always ride with a helmet on when im going somewhere. but sometime, like here in miami, when you go down ocean drive at 5 mph stoping and going, it gets damn hot.

and plus your talking looking around getting the sun in your face. so its no like where going slicing the corning with no lid, the danger is minimal.

so a lot of times i wear my helmet to go to the beach, but once i get there i just strap it to the back of my bike.
theinnkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:57 AM   #146
ghostpuppet
Founding Member

Hi, everyone. This is always a very charged topic. I think I may have an interesting perspective to share.

As a young man, I rode motorcycles and bikes with no helmet, and really never wore seatbelts when driving or riding in a car. Like everyone else, I felt immune and certainly statistically unlikely to sustain any serious accident. I even had this foolish notion that in a car crash, I could somehow brace myself and avoid injury. If I fell on a bike, I could somehow avoid hitting my head.

I went on to medical school and began to get some experience with trauma victims. Most lived, many died, and an unforgettable number became permanently disabled. The same variables kept popping up with motorcycles and cars: alcohol, youth and inexperience, male gender, and lack of seatbelts/helmets. I stopped riding motorcycles and began to use seatbelts every time I got into a car, long before the seatbelt laws were enacted.

Before I finished medical school, I was involved in a rollover in my car, and my life was saved by seatbelts. Not a scratch. Sadly, a classmate of mine was in an accident a year later while driving home, sleep-deprived. For some reason, he didn't wear his seatbelt and he now resides in a nursing home. He is profoundly brain-damaged and his institutionalization costs his family around $100,000 a year.

Another acquaintance of mine was driving drunk and turned left suddenly in front of an on-coming motorcycle. The helmetless rear seat passenger of the bike remains in a vegetative coma.

I went on to become a neurosurgeon and I have had my share of taking care of trauma victims. Every summer when I started my training, our ICU would fill with young comatose men who were injured beyond meaningful neurologic recovery--but young hearts tend to keep beating. These patients are generally destined to live fairly long lives with the requirement of significant care--again to the tune of $50,000 to $100,000 per year or more.

All of us in the medical profession tend to deride motorcycles, and a prominent heart surgeon I know takes credit for coining the term "donor cycles." Until the recent surge of popularity in motorcycling, most of us rode clandestinely to avoid humiliation in the workplace.

One summer, an interesting thing happened. A helmet law was passed in my state, and the river of young men pouring into the hospital each riding season slowed significantly. Seatbelt laws had a similar effect.

All of us in the medical profession who know anything about trauma are well aware of the statistics, some of which are disputed, some unquestionable, and some clearly subject to interpretation. But several conclusions can be formulated.

First, helmets (and seatbelts) save lives, and more importantly, reduce the severity of injury.

Society bears the cost of the chronic care of the head-injured, to the tune of over $1 billion annually for newly injured patients. This doesn't even take into account the costs of chronic care for the brain-injured population. Almost no degree of insurance, and very few family fortunes, will be able to cover the cost of chronic care of a young brain-injured patient. Families are frequently forced to initiate lawsuits to pay for medical costs, and the costs of these suits and the resultant monetary damages are passed on to society at large.

Legislation of mandatory safety laws is really not so much an attempt by the government to regulate peoples' lives and infringe upon freedoms and rights as it is an attempt to limit costs to society, liability, and ultimately unsustainable economic loss. We the people/government/society at large--cannot economically afford to allow unfettered freedoms for all, when a certain reckless segment of our population is so "over represented" when it comes to costly behavior.

But beyond that, it's just common sense. Brains are fragile things and they just don't heal well. The medical profession has become good enough at saving lives, but we're really lacking when it comes to "fixing" brains.

I wouldn't even consider riding anywhere without a full face helmet. And I consider it ironic that so many brains don't possess the instinct of self-preservation that would cause them to want to use a helmet. But more fundamentally, every rider that chooses to ride helmetless, irrespective of the law, should consider the choices they are making on behalf of their loved ones, their family, and their dependents. These are the people who will ultimately be paying for a simple decision made one cloudless summer day, as the helmetless rider swings his/her leg over the saddle for a routine ride, not even imagining the drunk driver/road obstacle/unaware motorist that they are fated to meet, changing their life forever.
ghostpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 05:31 AM   #147
hawker
Founding Member

I don't wear a helmet because I'm a dumb-ass. I like riding 5o miles an hour in the left lane on my p.o.s. hardley, because if I went any faster, hitting a junebug with my nose would probably knock me out. Besides, I _like_ riding around with no glasses, squinting out of one eye. It makes me look tough, and you know the chicks like a guy with bug guts on his forehead, a big beer belly, and chaps.
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 05:32 AM   #148
hawker
Founding Member

I don't wear a helmet because it'd look kind-of unbalanced with the flip-flops - a backwards baseball cap is much better.
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote