Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 06-01-2003, 04:36 AM   #131
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Cha-Ching! Another victim.

Okay. I will give you at least 6 hits from now on.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2003, 05:41 AM   #132
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Keep it reasonable

The point is that YOU are setting the parameters of what acceptable risk is for OTHERS because it makes sense to YOU.

My statement (bikes being too dangerous to be ridden) would make perfect sense to my grandmother (I am not joking) because the risk of riding a motorcycle is not acceptable to her and driving a car is perfectly good alternative to her and she finds the risk of driving an enclosed motor vehicle acceptable versus the risk involved in just walking everywhere. See?

What you are implicitely saying is that YOU have the right to define what is acceptable risk for OTHERS. I don't agree with that. Even if you are the wisest person on Earth you should have no right to decide what is too dangerous for me (as long as that danger is not extended to you or other parties).

The example you exposed regarding the speed limits in school areas is not even related. The speed limit is there to protect the children not the driver. Don't be obtuse, please.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 05:48 AM   #133
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Just a reminder...

The government DID in fact ban the sale and consumption of alcohol early last century, remember?
Old 06-01-2003, 06:23 AM   #134
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Re: I am saddened to learn of your learning disability

In any moment I defended any position on why people shouldn't wear a helmet. I ALWAYS wear a helmet and I ALWAYS will. No need for me to not do it and, like you said, it is common sense.

I, personally, find that the reward/risk ratio is not sufficient for me to go helmetless. But I also figure that I don't have a right to impose my values or perceptions on other people if their decision will not come to cause harm to me or other innocent parties.

What I am saying is that we shouldn't have a right to tell other people what is an acceptable risk to them and make laws so that they are not hurt if they decide to take the risk as long as that risk does not extend to other people.

If you say that people should wear helmets or not ride because it makes sense to you, then someone may decide that you should not move in a motorized vehicle unless it is enclosed because it makes sense to them. It would be for your own protection right? It is the same logic just move the "acceptable" risk level down a notch or two.

Old 06-01-2003, 06:59 AM   #135
zx-6r_maniac
Founding Member

Default Re: Just a reminder...

They were not be succesful... were they?

of course not. it wouldnt work now with a lot of things not just alcohol. the govt cant regulate everything. they do try though...sometimes work some they dont make a whole lotta sense...no ones perfect
zx-6r_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 07:03 AM   #136
zx-6r_maniac
Founding Member

Default Re: Just a reminder...

They were not succesful... were they?

of course not. it wouldnt work now with a lot of things not just alcohol. the govt cant regulate everything. they do try though...sometimes works... some they dont make a whole lotta sense...no ones perfect...eventually the federal govt will force state govts to have helmet laws or theyll take their highway money...it happens everytime...it happened with the drinking age, it happened with the legal smoking age...etc etc...people just dont see it. and theyre right in forcing people to protect themselves. theyre right.

enough...im gettting heartburn
zx-6r_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 07:08 AM   #137
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: Keep it reasonable

I suppose I must seem obtuse if I can't make it clear to you that different situations can be analogous without being identical. C'est la vie.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 08:01 AM   #138
arehling
Founding Member

Default Re: Why not wear a helmet?

An old yuk but still true:

Q. What do you call a biker without a helmet ?

A. Organ donor.

arehling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 08:39 AM   #139
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Re: Keep it reasonable

In particular when they're not even truly related, yes.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:07 AM   #140
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: KPaul is an idiot.

Did you read my story posted above? The one about the Harley guy who was DOA?

He was really stout and manly just like you, he was even packing a Glock 40 cal. and a knive (legal stuff here in Arizona) What he forgot to pack was his nogging inside a helmet.

I do not hate Harleys, a motorcycle is a motorcycle and I love them all, and I'm not a kid either, I'm 54, what I hate is morons like you!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote